First Aid Training...

MRJ

Any local places to train for range specific type injuries? I carry a basic trauma kit in my range bag, and have read the manuals, but I feel grossly unprepared if I had to use it. I took a recent firearms training course, and none of the 10 students had any first aid training. The instructor had plenty, but what if he was injured?

Last edited:
Any local places to train for range specific type injuries?

I would have to assume that you are talking about gunshot wounds. That's about the only range-specific injury I can think of that is not covered in some aspect in a good first aid course.

In lieu of specific training I would revert to what you learn in such a course.

1. Insure that the person is still breathing and keeps breathing.
2. Control bleeding.
3. Treat for shock.
4. Call 911 or other emergency number IMMEDIATELY to summon qualified medical help. If no phone service, send someone to where they can contact medical help.

Unless you are a qualified EMT or other trained individual this is basically what you do in an emergency.

I hope this helps.

edited to add: Call your local Red Cross chapter to ask about First Aid Courses.

Sucking chest wounds were covered when I took first aid courses years ago. It was required every 2 years when I was working as a PO. I assume that any decent first aid course would do the same.

The A B Cs.....its the same for all injuries.

I've always been of the belief that NOBODY should be able to graduate highschool without knowing how to swim and without passing a basic firstaid course and exam.

I'm also of firm belief that if a good firstaid kit were given and mounted at every range, some a**h*** would shoot it within a week.

Sucking chest wounds are rare, and without exception everyone I've ever seen was caused by a knife or other bladed weapon. I'll leave the anatomy and physiology out of it.

FPrice had the best overall advice, along with FGBF. Keeping the person warm is one of the most important things you can do. At least according to the current theory.

Oh, one other thing. If your range normally has a locked gate, make sure someone gets down there and opens it.

Gary

Sucking chest wounds are rare, and without exception everyone I've ever seen was caused by a knife or other bladed weapon. I'll leave the anatomy and physiology out of it.

FPrice had the best overall advice, along with FGBF. Keeping the person warm is one of the most important things you can do. At least according to the current theory.

Oh, one other thing. If your range normally has a locked gate, make sure someone gets down there and opens it. Gary

Many time I've driven to ranges, unlocked the gate and arrived with only one person shooting there. I always asked what they would do if they needed medical attention and the gate was locked so the medics/ambulace crew couldn't get in. So far, none of them gave a viable answer.
The usual answer was "well the cops have a key".....that doesn't cut it in my book, what if the cops are delayed?. I leave the gate unlocked and lock the lock on the hasp so someone can't lock it behind me.

I used to belong to a club that has a RULE, the gate MUST be locked at all times (except during meetings), so you pull in, unlock, pull up, re-lock it and go to the shooting area. It was really problematic in deep Winter as the icy roadway made traction almost impossible for normal cars after you locked the gate behind you on the way in.

Glad I don't have to deal with that any more.

BR&P has card-key gate that goes up and down. Only a handful of officers have the ability to put it in upright position, but it is a wooden arm, PD/EMS/Fire would probably crash through it if need be.

Mansfield has gate but folks leave it open while on the range, so there is no issue while folks are there.

I used to belong to a club that has a RULE, the gate MUST be locked at all times (except during meetings), so you pull in, unlock, pull up, re-lock it and go to the shooting area. It was really problematic in deep Winter as the icy roadway made traction almost impossible for normal cars after you locked the gate behind you on the way in.

Glad I don't have to deal with that any more.

BR&P has card-key gate that goes up and down. Only a handful of officers have the ability to put it in upright position, but it is a wooden arm, PD/EMS/Fire would probably crash through it if need be.

Mansfield has gate but folks leave it open while on the range, so there is no issue while folks are there.

Crashing the gate may be an option at some ranges but there are some, Hanson and Barnstable for two examples that would do significant damage to a vehicle if crashed. Matter of fact, Barnstable's gate opens outward and is a six or eight inch concrete filled steel pipe. The range has no other access other than by foot. If an arriving ambulace/police doesn't have a pair of bolt cutters capable of cutting a large hardened lock or a key to the gate handy, help will be delayed. This is why I leave it unlocked when there alone.

Hanson's range has a substantial rolling electronic gate fence that would likely do a lot of damage to a vehicle, possibly rendering it unuseable if it were to crash the gate. I don't know if it has a forceable threshold that could be overcome by prying....maybe I'll ask at a future meeting.

MRJ,
Hats off for being proactive. I would suggest getting the training you'd like from either the American Red Cross; I think they still offer an Advanced First Aid and Emergency Care course. Even better, contact your State's Dept. of Health for information for a Emergency Medical Technician course, which takes roughly one semester. Once you've completed training, volunteer or work per diem for a local ambulance. Cities are the best for volume and trauma, especially GSW and SWs.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Our club ran a first aid course free to all geared towards gunshot wounds. It covered other areas of first aid but being a gun club the possibilty alway esists although since 1931 it has never happened.........

Our club ran a first aid course free to all geared towards gunshot wounds. It covered other areas of first aid but being a gun club the possibilty alway esists although since 1931 it has never happened.........

The likelihood is far greater that something else will happen. Although there hasn't been a firearms injury since 1931, I'd be willing to bet that there have been numerous other injuries and illnesses since then.

I'd want to be sure that the training is broad based, not focused on one or two areas.

It's like I used to tell cops when I did CPR training. This is one of the few skills that you will be taught here that you can use outside of the job.

Gary

My Lodge is working on getting a First Aid course set up. I'll post here when we have it going. One of the Brothers will be the instructor as he is a certified instructor (and also an EMT).

Back
Top Bottom