• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firing pistols in different orientations.

y8uteta4.jpg

While i'm waiting for my LTC, im reading the NRA Pistol Guide. I see this picture. The text reads, "Test firing of semi-automatic pistols should involve various firing orientations."

I dont remember where ive read or heard but i thought youre not supposed to hold the pistol in those orientations.

Can somebody explain? Thanks

y8uteta4.jpg

While i'm waiting for my LTC, im reading the NRA Pistol Guide. I see this picture. The text reads, "Test firing of semi-automatic pistols should involve various firing orientations."

I dont remember where ive read or heard but i thought youre not supposed to hold the pistol in those orientations.

Can somebody explain? Thanks
For the sake of accuracy and control, any position other than straight up and down using the sights and preferably using both hands is counter productive.

The point of this exercise in different orientations could only be to evaluate the firearm, ammunition or magazine for its ability to feed and fire correctly regardless of orientation.

In this case, you are aiming at the berm, so point of impact need only be safe, not precise.

The only orientation that makes sense is depicted in my avatar. Notice the use of the off hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Non-gun people need to learn that you can probably shoot ways 2 and 3 in the picture. Whether you are injured after firing upside down, that's another question. And the bigger thing is I doubt people firing that way could hit the broad side of a barn, a .22 pistol maybe.

Non-gun people need to learn that you can probably shoot ways 2 and 3 in the picture. Whether you are injured after firing upside down, that's another question. And the bigger thing is I doubt people firing that way could hit the broad side of a barn, a .22 pistol maybe.

Thus we train..

- - - Updated - - -

Thus we train..

MP school taught us to shoot Weaver , off hand left and right , and prone ( seriously ).

If one were to to fall or lay down on your side your gun will be sideways to the world but remain normal to its orientation to your eyes.

I saw a pistol instructor shoot a 1911 upside down , pinkie on trigger , just to illustrate to a bunch of trainees that the bullet will go where the sights are aligned.

My next goal is to fly across doorways in slow motion while firing two 1911's at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom