firearms use while hunting, no FID but with someone who has firearms license

I have a question regarding the use of firearms while hunting. I have a friend that does not own a firearm and does not have an FID or LTC. They live in Massachusetts and have a hunting license. They always bow hunt but were interested in trying a pheasant hunt. Would I be reading the below law as stating they could use my firearm to hunt provided they have the appropriate hunting license and I was present while they were hunting or would they still need thier FID? They are not a federally prohibited person. Would both of us be able to handle a shotgun if I brought 2 of them? I figured I would ask here and see what the concenus was however I may still call DFW to get a clearer understanding.

Persuient to Mass Law c. 140§129C, the following actions are exempted, “the temporary holding, handling, or firing of a firearm for examination, trial, or instruction in the presence of a holder of a license to carry firearms, or the temporary holding, handling, or firing, of a rifle or shotgun for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a firearm identification card, or where such holding, handling, or firing is for a lawful purpose.”

Do wildlife laws in Mass also require a LTC/FID, or is that only chapter 148? I mean, this guy has a hunting license and no FID/LTC, so is there actually anything in the wildlife laws that also say that one must have a FID/LTC?

Do wildlife laws in Mass also require a LTC/FID, or is that only chapter 148? I mean, this guy has a hunting license and no FID/LTC, so is there actually anything in the wildlife laws that also say that one must have a FID/LTC?

the only thing I could find regarding that was if the person was from out of state, had a non-resident hunting license, and that state does not have the same firearms requirements, ie Vermont, New Hampshire, etc.

Persuient to Mass Law c. 140§129C, the following actions are exempted, “the temporary holding, handling, or firing of a firearm for examination, trial, or instruction in the presence of a holder of a license to carry firearms, or the temporary holding, handling, or firing, of a rifle or shotgun for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a firearm identification card, or where such holding, handling, or firing is for a lawful purpose.”

It would simply say "hunting" in the law. Unfortunately for your friend, it doesn't.

First: IANAL

That being said, one of the kids at our club was going on a youth pheasant hunt, and her FID was not yet in. It was up in the air as to whether it would be in on time.

The solution: The hunt organizers had a black powder (muzzle loader) shotgun for her.

The age restirctions WRT sharing a gun while hunting, coupled with the general gun laws, multiplied by out-of-state-ness, would have me be very careful.

Perhaps a call to MassWildlife would be in order.

As to firestorm's point....I'd be VERY nervous if the non-licensed individual was out of the presence (whatever that means [rolleyes]) of the person with the license. The exemption for a kid (<15) hunting mandates that the gun be shared....

Clear as mud, huh?

From MassWildlife

All minors between 15 and 17 years of age must produce the following documentation in order to purchase any hunting or sportinglicense.

A basic hunter education course certificate and a letter of consent allowing the minor to hunt from his or her parent or guardian OR

A letter signed by the minor's parent or guardian affirming that the minor will be accompanied at all times by a licensed adult while hunting and a letter of consent allowing the minor to hunt from his or her parent or guardian.

No other documents may be accepted from any minor 15 -17 years of age (including a previous year's hunting license) for purchasing a minor hunting or sporting license.

In order to hunt with most types of guns, Massachusetts residents need to contact their local police station and apply for either a Firearms Identification Card (FID) or a License to Carry Firearms (LTC). Contact your local police department for information about your status regarding Massachusetts gun licensing requirements.

This is a common question, the answer is yes the non LTC/FID holder must have their own hunting license. There can only be one long arm / firearm used between the FID/LTC holder and the non FID/LTC holder. IE you cant open the safe and hand em a shotgun and you take a rifle. The idea is when they are holding / shooting / manipulating the long arm / firearm you are supervising and not doing something else. Never allow them to be out of supervisory range: IE you must be close enough to take physical control. Don't allow them to walk off or you walk off to take a leak, scout the area etc. Best practice is to have the licensee , card holder carry at all times until set up in the blind, stand or hunting area, ready to take aim. Note 1 licensee / card holder to non licensee, more than 1 to 1 is bad juju, and never more than 1 firearm / long arm per 2 people.

From MassWildlife
In order to hunt with most types of guns, Massachusetts residents need to contact their local police station and apply for either a Firearms Identification Card (FID) or a License to Carry Firearms (LTC). Contact your local police department for information about your status regarding Massachusetts gun licensing requirements.

Yeah, but I doubt that is from the wild life law. I think they are just stating the obvious fact that you need a FID/LTC to be in possession of a firearm (by yourself) anywhere in Mass. However, in the Mass. firearms law, another person can be in possession of your firearm if you are standing next to them for training/demonstration purposes. So the real question is, if you are following around somebody without a FID/LTC while hunting, is there anything in the hunting laws in particular that would make it illegal for that person to hunt without their own FID/LTC??

Yeah, but I doubt that is from the wild life law. I think they are just stating the obvious fact that you need a FID/LTC to be in possession of a firearm (by yourself) anywhere in Mass. However, in the Mass. firearms law, another person can be in possession of your firearm if you are standing next to them for training/demonstration purposes. So the real question is, if you are following around somebody without a FID/LTC while hunting, is there anything in the hunting laws in particular that would make it illegal for that person to hunt without their own FID/LTC??

I'd say "not in the hunting laws", but in the firearms laws - see talon3's post.

Two hunters with two hunting licenses, two guns and one FID/LTC would equal trouble. The FID/LTC holder would, I'm guessing, not be considered able to be in control of the non-FID/LTC's gun.

They're mass residents, they should get the FID. If they have a Hunter Safety Course cert, that should be sufficient to get an FID.

Back
Top Bottom