Finnaly Got an M44

JonJ

NES Member
I have 5 Mosins and not one is a Russian. Not till today anyway.[smile]
I found this beauty while browsing at a shop.
Here's some pics:
Nice box, eh?
43A.jpg

The box top says that a M44 is inside.
44B.jpg

Yup, there was an M44 in it. Looks like your run of the mill M44.
44C.jpg

But wait a minute. What's this? 1943? Holy crap!
43D.jpg

Score!

Got mine last week ( sorry, no camera for pictures. ) 1944 Ishevsk in good condition with good wood and no counterbored barrel. Barrel is good but shows more bore wear than the M39 I have. It still has alot of wear left and I'll enjoy wearing it down some more. [smile]

What they say about the M44's was proven Sat. when I took mine out to shoot at 50yds. 1st shot was off on the left side of the repair center I was using but elevation was good. I knew it was a good shot and remembered that the rifles were supposed to be zero'd with the bayonet extended. What the heck, I folded it out and took the next shot and the windage was damn near perfect! Checking out the 3 ammo types I bought with me showed that the theory was correct. If I folded it back, the rounds went to the left enough that clays and rocks couldn't be hit unless the bayo was out. I also found out that mine doesn't like the Hung. heavy ball - throws it all over the place. Mine seems to like the Albanian light ball that none of the others really like.

Joe R.

Just be glad you didn't have to drift the sight. The M44 front sight is the worst to adjust. You literally have to beat on it with a heavy punch and hammer just to get it to move.

Here's a bit better picture and some more info on it.
43e.jpg

The receiver, bolt and buttplate are stamp matched. The floorplate is EP matched. Bore is very nice and counterbored.
It's rearsenaled as expected. Especially seeing as 50K were made and were battle tested.

It should be a fun shooter.

Finnaly Got a M44

JON J thats a nice looking new toy , i like mine you will enjoy that little Ruskie
they are a ball to shoot! iv been off the air for a few days but its nice to
see some activity on the Millsurp Channel Ha Ha!! ought to be up north
after the first of April Take Care Sheriff Dudley ( Stuck in Dayton During
Bike Week) But the sights are Nice!!!! S.D.

Nice one!

I've got a 1946 Ishvesk that I got a few weeks back from a distributor, and a 1948 (I think) that I got a few years ago. Never gotten around to shooting either, but I plan to change that this week now that my case of Czech silver tip ammo is here.

Back
Top Bottom