• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finn M39 Light Primer Strikes

Mountain

NES Member
I picked up a couple M39's from the recent sales- first one a non-select VKT and the last one a hand-select SAKO. The VKT has a little character in the stock but is mechanically great and a good shooter. IIRC ~1.7" group from sand bags at 100 yards- probably would have done better as I was not shooting my best that day.

M39 1.jpg

The select SAKO has an arsenal rebuild stock in great condition and the rifle and bore look great overall. Took it to my club this weekend for some range time after pheasant hunting. Morning hunt was a dud, and so was the SAKO. Pulled the trigger- click and nothing. Think this could be the reason for light primer strikes?

rusty pin.jpg

Soaked the bolt at the range and disassembled at home. Firing pin was nasty, though the spring looked OK. Chucked it in the drill press and tried to polish out the pits as best I could. Buffed out the entire pin & lightly greased with Mobil1 before reassembly. Will be a week and a half before I go to the range to try it.

Anyone know any other issues to check when getting light primer strikes from a Mosin? Where can I get a new firing pin & spring for a decent price?

Thanks & by the way, had better luck after leaving the range.

bird.jpg

Damn. Are you getting 1.7" groups with surplus corrosive ammo? Nice rifle.

I wouldn't expect pits on the firing pin to have much effect on primer strikes. The pin rides inside the spring, and shouldn't have a whole lot of friction to deal with.

I agree it is more likely a protrusion issue. You used to get the tool with every rifle you bought, but more and more are being sold without accessories. You can probably grab one for a few bucks on ebay if you don't have one to borrow. You could probably make one out of cardboard if you had the dimensions.

no he cheats, using hornady Amax

LOL, yes...

Mostly I shoot spam can surplus but will try for group with something decent.

I need to open up the old wrapping on some Mosin accessories I have squirreled away. Possible I have the tool. Looks like I need to check protrusion.

Thanks y'all.

LOL, yes...

Mostly I shoot spam can surplus but will try for group with something decent.

I need to open up the old wrapping on some Mosin accessories I have squirreled away. Possible I have the tool. Looks like I need to check protrusion.

Thanks y'all.

you can find the specs for the tool on 762x54r.net I think?

you can find the specs for the tool on 762x54r.net I think?

That would work. Probably could just use some sort of depth gauge as well. End of firing pin looks a little worn, so that could be it.

I may (probably will?) sell one of my M39's, so you can have dibs on whatever POS [rofl] I decide to let go if you happen to be in the market. Assuming they both shoot well, I haven't decided if I want the beat war-time stock or the nice arsenal stock. Arsenal stock has some repair plugs on one side, but looks like they are original to the stock when new. I also have a pristine hex 91/30 and a M44 in great shape- may let one of them go too. I'd like to have a 1903a3 for matches & don't think I need a Mosin 'collection'.

That would work. Probably could just use some sort of depth gauge as well. End of firing pin looks a little worn, so that could be it.

I may (probably will?) sell one of my M39's, so you can have dibs on whatever POS [rofl] I decide to let go if you happen to be in the market. Assuming they both shoot well, I haven't decided if I want the beat war-time stock or the nice arsenal stock. Arsenal stock has some repair plugs on one side, but looks like they are original to the stock when new. I also have a pristine hex 91/30 and a M44 in great shape- may let one of them go too. I'd like to have a 1903a3 for matches & don't think I need a Mosin 'collection'.
eye ball it to the ones that do shoot?

if I recall the gauge is .075 on the low side and .095 on the high side so it should be somewhere in between

I checked my m39 with the go no-go mosin tool and it came up as being to short according to the gauge. I didnt adjust it and it shoots about 9/10 rounds fine with the 10th being the occasional light primer strike. Re-cocking the bolt and hitting it again does the job everytime following it up though.

Checked it & firing pin protrusion was short. Made the adjustment and looks like it will be GTG.

mac1911 still gets a discount but maybe not as much since he spilled the beans on my AMAX ammo [laugh] .

Thanks everyone- hope to post a range report in a couple weeks.

Not checking this on a new Mosin is potentially dangerous. Light strikes are not dangerous but pierced primers due to too much pin protrusion isn't the best situation.

Back
Top Bottom