Fingerprint scanner on handgun case or no?

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm saving for a Vaultek case to sit by the bed. Each model has keyed and keypad entry, but for a fair bit more (at least 50%) you can have a fingerprint scanner. On one hand it saves effort for the countless times I'll open it and I can open it while looking elsewhere. On the other hand it's one more thing that can fail. What's your experience/recommendation?

Their website says this new model ships out April 1. It's bigger, therefore I need it, but $500 buys a lot of ammo. They're not releasing the non-biometric model until June so jokers on the fence like me will just pay up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgPTNkealyI

If you talk to someone who knows about fingerprint reader technology, you will learn that they have a high false negative rate. A number of factors, such as skin moisture, how hard one presses finger to the screen, finger placement, scanner resolution. (There is a reason why Massachusetts abandoned the fingerprint readers for firearms purchases.) .As security, a false negative propensity may be acceptable; as a means of quick access, it is not.

From a security perspective (i.e., how hard is it for non-authorized person to get in), the fingerprint reader is irrelevant. The thief will go after the mechanical lock, which is usually a 3-pin pin tumbler or a 7-pin tubular. Both are among the easiest single pin picks in the world, and the cheap ones are vulnerable to such non-skilled entries as zipping, raking, bypass or impressioning.

For quick access, one of the three-button sequencers is a better idea. (E.g., Stack-On QAS-450; not the 450-B.). For security, get a real safe.

Last edited:
There is a reason why Massachusetts abandoned the fingerprint readers for firearms purchases.
I believe the primary reason was the hassle of keeping drivers and software updated so the readers would work with new post-XP versions of Windows.
3-pin pin tumbler or a 7-pin tubular. Both are among the easiest single pin picks in the world, and the cheap ones are vulnerable to such non-skilled entries as zipping, raking, bypass or impressioning.
A BIC pen can often be used to pick a 8 pin tubular, but I prefer the HPC TLP-C model B, though this model has changed through the years and I have not see the new one with the stainless handle.

Thank you all for the feedback.
A BIC pen can often be used to pick a 8 pin tubular, but I prefer the HPC TLP-C model B, though this model has changed through the years and I have not see the new one with the stainless handle.

Those cam locks are sweet. Might need to use one elsewhere.
For security, get a real safe.

I agree entirely -- got a real safe in the basement. The gun is with me or in the big safe with a camera feed to my cell phone for motion alerts. This purchase is just for security from my kid's curiosity while I'm sleeping but with rapid access in the night. The boy won't be bypassing locks for a little while.

I have a Fort Knox gun vault and like it a lot. It has a mechanical lock that is very fast.

My only experience with fingerprint scanners is on my iPhone which does not work sometimes if I have grime on my finger, if my finger is wet, if I have a bandaid (obviously), etc...

No way I’d trust a finger print scanner to work when I needed it to or to keep anyone out if necessary.

I’d purposely avoid a gun safe with that feature.

Not sure how much more precise they are compared to phone fingerprint scanners but whenever I was my hands or after I take a shower I cannot use the scanner on my phone for a solid couple hours. Does this happen with the scanners on the safes?

Back
Top Bottom