• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FID question

These are tied to credit accounts and school ID systems not retail businesses. [thinking]

More like the tip of the icecube IMHO.
thtinfoil.gif

You really want to keep your life private ? Pay cash.

If your friend wants carry Pepper spray without giving fingerprints for an FID card, go to a free state and pick up some at a convience or hardware store.

When back in Commiechusetts, just remember you're in a Non-Permissive Envrionment and conduct yourself accordingly.

These are tied to credit accounts and school ID systems not retail businesses. [thinking]

More like the tip of the icecube IMHO.
thtinfoil.gif

You really want to keep your life private ? Pay cash.

If your friend wants carry Pepper spray without giving fingerprints for an FID card, go to a free state and pick up some at a convience or hardware store.

When back in Commiechusetts, just remember you're in a Non-Permissive Envrionment and conduct yourself accordingly.

Uhh... no retailers? Didn't you see the link to the story about retailers above?

You are absolutely correct, one course of action would be to use cash. I'm all for anonymous E-cash, but it hasn't appeared yet. As to moving, unfortunately that's not easy, very disruptive, and doesn't kill the cancer.

The correct course of action is to fight for our gun rights and privacy rights, wherever and whenever they are infringed.

Last edited:
"Privacy is Dead, Get Over It!" by Steve Rambam

Part 1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1634316293369601334

Part 2
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7465299647843576329

Part 3
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5301393266084289975

Each of the above are ~1 hour long. Watch and listen. You'll be furious and realize how hopeless privacy is in today's society. [I once filed a bill that would have made it a crime to demand SSN for any but tax reasons. You can guess how far that went and it was a decade or more before 9/11. Now with the Patriot Act, the only thing missing is the tattoo of your SSN somewhere on our bodies.]

I'm surprised how everyone just blindly accepts putting their signature on a computer tablet every time they use their credit card. I refuse to let some computer store my signature. I just draw a squiggly line. If the clerk doesn't like it, I tell them I'll sign their computer if they'll sign my PDA. It usually gets my point across and they say, "I never thought of that".

Apparently neither does the public as a whole.

Sheeple

I'm surprised how everyone just blindly accepts putting their signature on a computer tablet every time they use their credit card. I refuse to let some computer store my signature. I just draw a squiggly line. If the clerk doesn't like it, I tell them I'll sign their computer if they'll sign my PDA. It usually gets my point across and they say, "I never thought of that".

Apparently neither does the public as a whole.

Sheeple

How far could I go before they would check my credit card signature?

(Wait until you get to page 3, where he signs it "My butt", "Butthole *", and even draws a diagram.

Last edited:
I think I've had someone ask to check my ID less then a dozen times in the past ...six years. [rolleyes]

It's actually a goofy part of the agreement that the merchant signs with the credit card processor that the merchant won't check IDs. So, technically, the merchant could lose their ability to process credit cards by requiring ID checks. The only thing you're supposed to do is make sure that what is signed on the receipt matches what's signed on the card. So an unsigned card should have an unsigned receipt. And a card signed "CHECK ID" should have a receipt that's signed "CHECK ID".

It's silly, of course, and I always check ID when the card asks me to as a favor to the card holder. But with a blank card I only inform people that they'll have to sign their card before I'll take it. Not much else I can do, and even that is against the agreement I signed with my processor.

I havent signed my credit or debit cards in years and rarely carry cash.

Which will come as a great benefit to whomever steals your wallet, should that happen. He/she can sign your name on the card you left blank, and that signature will match exactly the signature on the sales receipt. [rolleyes]

I sign the card and then put tape over the signature. Remove the tape and you damage the signature. [wink]

I've been fingerprinted multiple times.

Anyone who serves in the military, or gets an LTC, has to be fingerprinted. No big deal.

Which will come as a great benefit to whomever steals your wallet, should that happen. He/she can sign your name on the card you left blank, and that signature will match exactly the signature on the sales receipt. [rolleyes]

I sign the card and then put tape over the signature. Remove the tape and you damage the signature. [wink]

Good idea.

While this is true, as illustrated by the thing Pilgrim posted, having
it signed or not signed makes little practical difference 95 out of 100 times.
Most people don't even look at it, let alone check it.

However, I do believe the CC companies have some BS about how
they will try to make you "eat" disputed charges accumulated on
an unsigned card, if the "investigation" shows that the card
wasn't signed. Not sure if there is any truth to that, though.

I don't really get too paranoid overall- if your card is in the
system at all, it CAN get stolen. A few years ago I had a
guy somehow "steal" my AMEX optima card that had never
left my wallet, and was never used online. He had to have
broken into someone's database somewhere, or sniffed it off
a gas pump or something. It was very strange because I
rarely used the card. Then I opened the bill and noticed I had
a $1900 charge on it for some golden clock thing from some
jewelery store. Apparently the guy had stamped out his own
fake CC with my number on it but a different name, etc. Really
bizarre form of fraud.

Since that happened, IMO the only way to be sure is to not