• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL's all telling me it's federal law to ONLY receive a RIFLE from an FFL?

Hey guys -- I've talked to the guy from Four Seasons and Northshore Firearms and they're both telling me it's illegal to have a rifle shipped from an individual w/ faxed+copied license etc to their FFL location for transfer. They're saying it MUST be shipped from another FFL due to federal law.

I was under the impression that as long as it's a long gun it was legal to have it shipped from an individual with a copy of their licenses? Am I wrong or are these guys not entirely truthful with me?

Regardless I'll never talk to the guy from Four Seasons again; extremely rude and unprofessional from the second I got him on the phone. I get less attitude and rudeness from the DMV (and I didn't even mention that I thought it was legal - I just took his word for it and said "Thank you" after asking 2 questions). The guy at NorthShore Firearms was very professional and courteous though -- they'll be getting some business from me.

Thanks in advance guys -- I just hope to get this answered.

One last thing -- if anyone knows an FFL that DOES accept xfers from an individual with a copy of license -- could you please throw them my way? Man I feel like the new guy here (I guess I am!) [grin]

Heck all of this experience with these guys is making me want to get an FFL myself -- I've got a business front for it where I'm at constantly on Rt 1 North of Boston.

Thanks a lot guys -- and thanks for promptly answering my question yesterday -- I really appreciate the help. Awesome forums here and I hope to help out in the future as much as I can.

Last edited:
Four Seasons is one of the most popular firearms stores in the state. I've only talked to the owner who has always seemed very helpful. Do a search on this site and you'll find what you're looking for.

I've done a search and it's come out contrary to what the FFL's are telling me -- It's just leaving me confused. The FFL who I assume is legally responsible to know the laws is telling me is illegal but when I search the actual laws themselves it seems like these guys are pulling my leg or something or legitimately think it's still illegal. Also the guy I'm getting the firearm from worked at a gunshop until he retired last year and is telling me the opposite of what these local FFL's are telling me. I just don't which side is right and which is wrong since the search information is conflicting with the local FFL information.

I have noticed that the Four Seasons guys were VERY well respected here -- I was susprised as heck when the guy yelled at me and gave me attitude for asking simple questions. He had a tone in his voice the second he picked up the phone -- maybe he was just having a bad day -- it happens to us all.

Very very very few FFL's will accept a shipped firearm from an individual.
And no there is no "license" than an individual would copy and send to the FFL unless it was a C+R firearm and the individual had a C+R 03FFL

They are just trying to protect themselves.

It isn't illegal but lots of FFLs will only take inbounds from other dealers. It's "store policy" and not law. Keep trying to find another dealer.

-Mike

Very very very few FFL's will accept a shipped firearm from an individual.

Maybe this is the case in MA but in free america lots of FFLs take individual inbounds, all the time... as long as the sender provides identification for the dealer to keep on file.

-Mike

What you are looking for (Fed Law) is in the BATFE Q&A and has been quoted here before. Here it is again, pg. 178 of this PDF (statutes are footnoted after each Q&A). BTW, handguns can also be sent this way, but just not thru the USPO by non-licensees.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by
registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable.
A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified
that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Although Fed Law ALLOWS non-licensees (this refers to people without a FEDERAL LICENSE, not state issued licenses) to ship to a licensee, many businesses will NOT accept such shipments as a "business practice". Some will be honest with you and some will try to BS you with "it's the law" to avoid being called out for their business practices.

Call Four Seasons and talk with Carl ONLY (and tell him what happened before) or call Collectors in Stoneham and talk with Jack (owner).

I hope this helps.

Alright -- Thanks again guys. So it seems like it's legal for rifles but there's some safety issues involved with it so they don't like doing it? The guy I'm getting the rifle from HAD a C+R but let it expire, so he's telling me some stuff, the internet search is telling me it's legal as long as it's a rifle -- handguns are iffy due to not being allowed to ship via mail so generally no handguns xfer from an individual to an FFL via mail -- and FFLs just prefer to deal with another FFL to cover their own backs and potential legalities? I just wish these local FFL's wouldn't lie to me and tell me I'd be breaking federal laws. If it's store policy hey that's cool -- I respect that -- but man why tell me it's federal law?

Sorry for being such a beginner with this stuff -- I'd just like to know it as the last thing I want to do is break the law, especially when it comes to these things.

Last edited:
There is nothing "iffy" about properly shipping rifles or handguns from an individual to an FFL. Any Type 01 FFL can intake guns from an individual, either in person, or via a common carrier, (or the postal service in the case of rifles only) unless there is some interfering state law that prohibits this. (EG, like there probably is in CA, not sure how that mess is working. )

-Mike

There is nothing "iffy" about properly shipping rifles or handguns from an individual to an FFL. Any Type 01 FFL can intake guns from an individual, either in person, or via a common carrier, (or the postal service in the case of rifles only) unless there is some interfering state law that prohibits this. (EG, like there probably is in CA, not sure how that mess is working. )

This. -Mike

I have no problem with it. However, I can see how a dealer can hesitate to give legal advice to a voice on the phone. Jack.

MA dealers could give a crap about what they don't have in stock to sell you at an inflated price.

Have it transferred to JRs gunsmithing in Londonderry. $10 transfer fees and no BS. Just fill out your own FA-10 when you bring it back in to MA.

I have noticed that the Four Seasons guys were VERY well respected here -- I was susprised as heck when the guy yelled at me and gave me attitude for asking simple questions. He had a tone in his voice the second he picked up the phone -- maybe he was just having a bad day -- it happens to us all.

A bit off topic but I wanted to share my own Four Seasons experience. I bought one gun there in 2008 when I was 21 and during my two experiences leading up to the purchase I found two different people I tried to talk to were very disrespectful and talked to me like I was stupid. Maybe it was because of my age but if I'm trying to buy something it would be nice if the sales person was at least a little helpful. I'll never go back in there with my money.

A bit off topic but I wanted to share my own Four Seasons experience. I bought one gun there in 2008 when I was 21 and during my two experiences leading up to the purchase I found two different people I tried to talk to were very disrespectful and talked to me like I was stupid. Maybe it was because of my age but if I'm trying to buy something it would be nice if the sales person was at least a little helpful. I'll never go back in there with my money.

1zlcgmh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom