FFL ---Anyone have any experience getting one?

Hi! I am really interested in getting my FFL. Do you apply to the feds and they either approve or dissaprove or is this another deal where our faithful licensing officers also have their say yet again? I did a search on here for "FFL" and didn't see too much about it. I don't have a storefront and would like to start my own business out of my home. From what I can tell, correct me if i'm wrong, but you can get an FFL with different designations or classes? Say, you could have an FFL to sell ammunition or collectible firearms etc. only....is this right? Any info would be great as I googled it too and all I found for responses with "get your FFL today with our special packet....blah blah..."

First, you need a place to conduct business. It must be in an area zoned for commercial use. It can be a part of your home but your zoning must allow for a business...and they will make your town sign off that it is legal to do this. this is the biggest hurdle for most people. If you can pass this hurdle, then I will explain the rest of the procedure.

I have been drafting plans to start my own business (education services such as tutoring, academic planning for special needs students, etc) and always thought it would be hilarious to have a combined education services/FFL storefront, heh.

The OP doesn't give us a clue what state he's in and he failed to put it in any of the state gun law sub-forums, so any info provided will be speculative at best.

In all states:

- FFLs are issued by the Feds.
- Local licensing authorities have a lot to say on who does/doesn't get one (other than C&R FFL).
- BATFE for a lot of years now has been looking at zoning issues as a reason for denial. How strictly they interpret this depends on what state you are in . . . easier for a home-based FFL to get it in TX . . . impossible in MA for almost everybody due to MGLs prohibiting dealers in other than commercially zoned property.
- In all cases, BATFE will only issue if they believe (based on interviews and their interpretation of your plans/intent) that you will be operating as a PROFIT-MAKING BUSINESS. No more FFLs so that they can get stuff wholesale and sell 4-5 guns/year to their friends.
- They require extensive security measures for any such licensed property (e.g. usually high-end alarm systems, cameras, large safes - and you can't keep personal guns mixed in with shop inventory, etc.).

If you look in the state gun laws sub-forum here that is applicable to your situation, you will likely find more specific info.

Back
Top Bottom