• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fee increase story in the Springfield Republican

Very good article,but I seem to remember that the state is prohibited by law on what the cost of a license is. I could be wrong,but IIRC they can only charge what it cost to actually process the license.

Along with a variety of other fee increases built into the governor's $28.1 billion fiscal 2009 state budget, the gun license fee increases are needed to help meet the state's fiscal challenges, Patrick's spokeswoman Cyndi M. Roy said.

"The commonwealth, like all states, is facing some difficult financial challenges," Roy said. "The (gun) licensing fees are part of a comprehensive package of solutions to address those fiscal challenges, including closing corporate tax loopholes and other revenue generating ideas, as well as continued savings and efficiencies."

Notice that nowhere to be found is the idea of reducing spending. This seems to be another EXCUSE to balance a budget bloated by entitlements, subsidized illegals and welfare for legals. I hate that state and if we don't watch out, NH will become mass' northern most county.

Ed

Very good article,but I seem to remember that the state is prohibited by law on what the cost of a license is. I could be wrong,but IIRC they can only charge what it cost to actually process the license.

You are wrong. The fee is specified by statute, specifically MGL Ch 140 S131 paragraph i:

The fee for the application shall be $100, which shall be payable to the licensing authority and shall not be prorated or refunded in case of revocation or denial.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

All they have to do is change that law and the fee changes.

Some Deval Patrick lapdog:

The (gun) licensing fees are part of a comprehensive package of solutions to address those fiscal challenges...

But, I thought they were part of a comprehensive package to save children's lives.

You mean, it's all about soaking the people for more cash???

I'm shocked.

I also love the projected revenue numbers. Of course, they're coming from the same people who believe that increasing the income tax rate from 5% to 50% will result in a commensurate ten-fold increase in tax revenue.

New state motto suggestion of the day...

Massachusetts: Proudly violating the rights of poor people since before any of the current crop of suckers still living here were even born.

In 2003 1.5 million gun owners at $25.00 each = $37,500,000.00.
In 2008 240,000 gun owners at $100.00 each = $24,000.000.00.
-$13,500,000.00
As they tax owners out of existence they wonder why they have a shortfall. Obviously part of a larger plan. They can't be that ignorant on Beacon Hill, or can they?

In 2003 1.5 million gun owners at $25.00 each = $37,500,000.00.
In 2008 240,000 gun owners at $100.00 each = $24,000.000.00.
-$13,500,000.00
As they tax owners out of existence they wonder why they have a shortfall. Obviously part of a larger plan. They can't be that ignorant on Beacon Hill, or can they?

Mike, sorry but there are some flaws in your numbers.

It was 1998 when we had 1.5M LICENSES. Many of us held two licenses (FID and LTC). I don't recall ever seeing a breakdown of numbers back then, so I have no idea how many Licensees we had. A fair number of FID holders had moved out of state or died, again making number of actual MA Licensees almost impossible to determine.

FIDs were $3.00 and issued for lifetime.
LTCs were $10.00 and issued for 5 years BEFORE Chapter 180 became law. Fees went to $25.00 in 1998 and issuance of both FIDs and LTCs were for 4 years.
In 2003 (or was it 2004?) the fees went up to $100.00 for all licenses. Eventually the fee for FID-Chemical spray only went back down to $25.00 (and I think renewals are free).

So, the math is a bit complex to figure out $ then v. now and you probably won't get any cooperation from CHSB/FRB in obtaining real, hard numbers.

"I'm from down south, where you don't need a permit to own a gun (unless it's concealed)," said one member, declining to give his name, who moved here from North Carolina.

So I guess MA isn't the only place where people don't know their state laws. You cannot own a handgun in NC without having obtained a permit to purchase.

Mike, sorry but there are some flaws in your numbers.

It was 1998 when we had 1.5M LICENSES. Many of us held two licenses (FID and LTC). I don't recall ever seeing a breakdown of numbers back then, so I have no idea how many Licensees we had. A fair number of FID holders had moved out of state or died, again making number of actual MA Licensees almost impossible to determine.

FIDs were $3.00 and issued for lifetime.
LTCs were $10.00 and issued for 5 years BEFORE Chapter 180 became law. Fees went to $25.00 in 1998 and issuance of both FIDs and LTCs were for 4 years.
In 2003 (or was it 2004?) the fees went up to $100.00 for all licenses. Eventually the fee for FID-Chemical spray only went back down to $25.00 (and I think renewals are free).

So, the math is a bit complex to figure out $ then v. now and you probably won't get any cooperation from CHSB/FRB in obtaining real, hard numbers.

great info. one thing to add... many "Lifetime" FID holders are STILL under the impression that their FID card is valid. I personally know 3 old timers that have one, and have rifles/shotguns and say that they are legal. I have tried to explain to them that the laws have changed and they all say, "let them come and get me." (or something like that).

course that would be an exmple of the state making law abiding citizens into criminals... topic for another day [wink]

Some Deval Patrick lapdog:

But, I thought they were part of a comprehensive package to save children's lives.

You mean, it's all about soaking the people for more cash???

I'm shocked.

I also love the projected revenue numbers. Of course, they're coming from the same people who believe that increasing the income tax rate from 5% to 50% will result in a commensurate ten-fold increase in tax revenue.

New state motto suggestion of the day...

Massachusetts: Proudly violating the rights of poor people since before any of the current crop of suckers still living here were even born.

Dont forget that another part of this is to pay off the $22 Billion cost of the hugely mismanaged BigDig...or Massmoneypit as I like to call it.

Link

Back
Top Bottom