Federal Tactical HST Ammo, for LE only??

ONLY 550 rounds? [rofl]

That must have been all they had!

No,I left 3 boxes for the vultures to snap up..[smile]

All seriousness..we did some capture testing involving a jug of water and 5 layers of sheetrock.The HST round expands to about the size of a quarter and went through the jug and 4 layers and dented the 5th,with the layers spaced about 1" apart.Compared to the other rounds we tested(GDHP,Tactical Bonded,Hornaday XTP and Fed HXP) ,the HST looked the most wicked and looks like it can cause some serious damage.The Speer looked like it yawed a bit,which was impressive.

I have been searching for this stuff for about 2 months now,was just waiting for a good price.The online places were either sold out or too expensive.

Last edited:
...we did some capture testing involving a jug of water and 5 layers of sheetrock.The HST round expands to about the size of a quarter and went through the jug and 4 layers and dented the 5th,with the layers spaced about 1" apart.Compared to the other rounds we tested(GDHP,Tactical Bonded,Hornaday XTP ,the HST looked the most wicked and looks like it can cause some serious damage.

Were you the one who did the testing a few weeks back @ Harvard?

they would simply scan the barcode, find out which batch it came from and then could track it back to which batch went to which distributor...so no...not bravo sierra...they refuse to distribute to commercial retailers...at least in this state

The barcode is a SKU (stock number) and whether you got it in MA or in CA, that number will be the same for all boxes of the same product. The Lot No. (printed above the barcode on the outside of the box) MIGHT ID where it was shipped to . . . but if the lots are huge and shipped to multiple distributors, that info may not be real helpful.

I think that the company reps may just be blowing smoke to intimidate the dealers to give it up in this case.

Selling the exact same product in pretty plastic boxes (which cost more to make/store/ship than cardboard) that cost the consumer almost as much for 20 rds as the LE only 50 rd cardboard boxes is just a plain rip-off!

Doesn't sound like they are "doing this for the children"!

There is one theory that it is a temporary measure due to production backlogs, so they sell the 40% size to consumers while they catch up on LE orders??

Time will tell what's really going on.

It wasn't me,if the guy was bald you saw he is the one that set up the capture.He does it just about every weekend.Whenever I was there experimenting,it was just me,him and one or 2 other guys,no observers.

Yeah, that was him and apparently not you. Right, I was there with him and Jerry a few weeks or more back and he was firing a .45 HST into the rig. Sweet setup but there has to be a better trap material than gypsum board, although I can't think of one outside of gel. The gypsum gets trapped in all of the crevices of the rounds he pulls out.

Yeah, that was him and apparently not you. Right, I was there with him and Jerry a few weeks or more back and he was firing a .45 HST into the rig. Sweet setup but there has to be a better trap material than gypsum board, although I can't think of one outside of gel. The gypsum gets trapped in all of the crevices of the rounds he pulls out.

They clean off nicely though with some brake cleaner..You looked at the flattened out HST rounds right ? a cheap alternative to ballistic gel is the million dollar question...

If you know Jerry, I probably know you or at least met you before.

I've bought all kinds of Federal LEO style ammo for years from XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX[wink]

Do not post any company that may ship to MA/JJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I've bought all kinds of Federal LEO style ammo for years from *************They will deliver it to your door within days of your placing the order...this is a great company with very fair prices for everthing they sell.

thanx for posting that donkey!!!! mod please delete it!!!!!!!

But us common folk can buy 20 round, plastic boxes of HST?

Paul-

The 20 round crap in the plastic boxes is NOT the same ammo. (unless they just changed it recently) That's usually the Fed PD LR stuff, and it's all crap. The oddball bullet weights alone should be a tipoff. Frankly they should be ashamed for even making the stuff. I saw one test where a guy fired one of those loads into gel and the bullet exploded into little chunks like a glaser. [laugh]

-Mike

Paul-

The 20 round crap in the plastic boxes is NOT the same ammo. (unless they just changed it recently) That's usually the Fed PD LR stuff, and it's all crap. The oddball bullet weights alone should be a tipoff. Frankly they should be ashamed for even making the stuff. I saw one test where a guy fired one of those loads into gel and the bullet exploded into little chunks like a glaser. [laugh]

-Mike

Ah, thanks Mike.

I'm still a noob at this.

I would be happy never to buy a Federal product again (assuming this is true) if I knew of a high-quality ammo manufacturer that didn't have a product restricted to .gov sales only. Anybody have any insight here? How about Black Hills or Hornady?

You are correct, neither Remington, nor Speer, nor Black Hills, nor Hornady, nor Cor-Bon, nor Buffalo Bore think that we are beneath the police. They all sell top grade stuff to us just as they do to cops.

Federal can F.O.A.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, neither Remington, nor Speer, nor Black Hills, nor Hornady, nor Cor-Bon, nor Buffalo Bore think that we are beneath the police. They all sell top grade stuff to us just as they do to cops.

Not sure if this has changed, but Hornady would not sell 5.56 TAP NATO loads to joe average. BH also would not sell factory fresh MK262 0/1 to people either, although I think they dribble overruns out onto the commercial market, though.

I am guessing, of course, that it has little to do with politics and everything to do with reserving supplies of the stuff for LE/mil entities, though, given current demand.

-Mike

Federal can F.O.A.D.

What about Hornaday and Black Hills ? Might as well put those two manufacturers on your boycott list as well.They both have 5.56 loads not sold to the public.

Also put Lake City on your boycott list,since they do not sell to civilians.

Since Federal is owned by ATK,you might just go on ahead and boycott every ammo manufacturer ATK owns,which is quite a few.

What about Hornaday and Black Hills ? Might as well put those two manufacturers on your boycott list as well.They both have 5.56 loads not sold to the public.

Also put Lake City on your boycott list,since they do not sell to civilians.

Since Federal is owned by ATK,you might just go on ahead and boycott every ammo manufacturer ATK owns,which is quite a few.

Lake City is an army owned, contractor operated facility so no obligation to.

Back
Top Bottom