• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Federal appeals court strikes Maryland handgun rule

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Nice! No more pre approval to buy a gun.

federal appeals court on Tuesday struck down part of Maryland’s laws regulating handguns, overturning a requirement to obtain a handgun license before purchasing a firearm.

In a 2-1 ruling, a panel of the Virginia-based Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Maryland cannot add more regulations for acquiring handguns than other weapons. The court said the law was unenforceable in the wake of a Supreme Court ruling last year.
The judges cited last summer’s Supreme Court ruling that loosened New York gun laws, which said the government must show efforts to regulate guns are “consistent with this nation’s historical tradition of firearm regulation.”

Under current Maryland law, a person is required to get a handgun license in addition to all other requirements to purchase a firearm. That license requires that a person pass a handgun safety course, a background check and wait up to 30 days.

No what Maryland will do is take the handgun requirement and apply it to all purchases of long guns and that will be in compliance with the heller decision if I've got my cases right here, which says states can impose reasonable requirements and licensing

No what Maryland will do is take the handgun requirement and apply it to all purchases of long guns and that will be in compliance with the heller decision if I've got my cases right here, which says states can impose reasonable requirements and licensing
Bruen says they weren't prohibiting reasonable licensing, but since any system can be abused this could be revisited.

Looks like we're revisiting it...

But wouldn't that be very obvious and also get shut down in courts because their intention is clearly to f*ck with people?

I just read this. The decision strikes down an overly onerous requirement that MD instituted to limit who can purchase a handgun. Of course MD will request an en banc rehearing and that will likely happen. I won't be surprised if the decision is overturned and then the plaintiffs will have to apply for Cert.

If the decision isn't overturned that would be good, but I'd be surprised.

APPEALS court. REVERSED the district court judge.

Love it love it love it. Bungwholes are puckering on Bacon Hill this morning for sure. "Wait. They can't just buy a gun without our permission." Yes. Yes they F'ing can!

C'mon Mary-Land. Appeal this bad boy. I wanna see the Supremes look and say, "Ummm, yeah, well,. . . . they're not wrong. It makes sense, in the context of Bruen, et al. Affirmed. GF yourself democrat overlords."

APPEALS court. REVERSED the district court judge.

Love it love it love it. Bungwholes are puckering on Bacon Hill this morning for sure. "Wait. They can't just buy a gun without our permission." Yes. Yes they F'ing can!

C'mon Mary-Land. Appeal this bad boy. I wanna see the Supremes look and say, "Ummm, yeah, well,. . . . they're not wrong. It makes sense, in the context of Bruen, et al. Affirmed. GF yourself democrat overlords."
GOAL needs to collect all these 2A wins and throw them in MA legislators faces during the Senate hearing

Wouldn't it be a nice change if guys on forums in other states posted something positive happening for gun owners in Massachusetts!
Aside from this new bill, politicians in MA haven't f*cked as much with gun owners as in many other States, like CA.

Maura tried to re-interpret the meaning of a law, but there is nothing we can do about that and her word is not law (despite what Reptile tells everyone to push his lowers).

So, until this bill, we had to deal with some BS like the list and "Evil Features" and mag capacity, but the State hasn't been f*cking with us that much and most of the junk is fairly unenforceable or so hard to enforce they don't even bother unless you are a huge idiot.

Not only we have more States going green, but thanks to the BS some politicians try to pull for short term gain, they are helping strengthen the 2A. So much of their crap is being declared unconstitutional. Instead of chilling and keeping their existing laws they try to push harder and get slapped.

PS: I am not saying things are great in MA.

Last edited:
Aside from this new bill, politicians in MA haven't f*cked as much with gun owners as in many other States, like CA.

Maura tried to re-interpret the meaning of a law, but there is nothing we can do about that and her word is not law (despite what Reptile tells everyone to push his lowers).

So, until this bill, we had to deal with some BS like the list and "Evil Features" and mag capacity, but the State hasn't been f*cking with us that much and most of the junk is fairly unenforceable or so hard to enforce they don't even bother unless you are a huge idiot.

Not only we have more States going green, but thanks to the BS some politicians try to pull for short term gain, they are helping strengthen the 2A. So much of their crap is being declared unconstitutional. Instead of chilling and keeping their existing laws they try to push harder and get slapped.

PS: I am not saying things are great in MA.
I agree with you, especially the part about this state sucking regardless 🤣. Honestly, they pass these laws and/or issue these edicts to dissuade people from becoming gun owners and having more and more vendors refuse to ship even a screw here, so that the end result will be less gun owners in MA.

You and I know that where there's a will, there's a way, all completely legal, but I think the average person looking to buy a firearm, or even the average gun owner in MA for that matter is, as @drgrant so appropriately puts it, a pants shitter! They're most likely that way from what they read and hear, and not only from the news but from so called "firearms experts" teaching classes right here in MA.

I agree with you, especially the part about this state sucking regardless 🤣. Honestly, they pass these laws and/or issue these edicts to dissuade people from becoming gun owners and having more and more vendors refuse to ship even a screw here, so that the end result will be less gun owners in MA.

You and I know that where there's a will, there's a way, all completely legal, but I think the average person looking to buy a firearm, or even the average gun owner in MA for that matter is, as @drgrant so appropriately puts it, a pants shitter! They're most likely that way from what they read and hear, and not only from the news but from so called "firearms experts" teaching classes right here in MA.

Yeah, but things have changed. Before it was Linsky and his ilk that would present some outrageous legislation that would typically get knocked down. Now things have ramped up. Getting worse now. It'll really get interesting come early next year when the Senate gets their say on gun rights.

In other MD news, the Montgomery County "law" that they passed in response to Bruen. It was, for all practical purposes a total ban on possessing a gun outside one's home in the county. It made it illegal for permit holders to drive through the county with a gun. They declared all sidewalks to be places of public gathering and banner possession of a gun without 100 yards.
This got squashed in court. The county lawyer, to his credit, admitted that it was intended to be a blanket ban on gun possession outside one's home in response to Bruen eliminating the corrupt may issues process.

Nice!
So this should cover NC, also 4th circuit, where you have to obtain a “Pistol Permit” from the sheriff to buy a handgun if you don’t already have a concealed carry license?

Any cop that fails to observe a court ruling on 2A and chooses to enforce it should not be able to claim Qualified Immunity, nor should the taxpayers be on the hook for their defense costs

Back
Top Bottom