Falling plate rack

I'm looking into buying a plate rack for personal use. A lot of racks are for commercial use, and the price reflects it. But my question is over, under? Some plate racks have the plates hanging under and some over. Is there a safety issue? ricochet? spatter a flyin'? Also those of you who know... is the auto reset from the last plate hit, or the pull rope better?
thanks in advance

.... Is there a safety issue? ricochet? spatter a flyin'? ...
thanks in advance
There's always a safety issue when firing at any steel targets whether steel plates or metallic silhouettes.
Everyone on the range, including spectators, must wear safety glasses in case bullet fragments bounce back towards the firing line.
Well designed targets and frames will minimize, but not eliminate the problem.
In my time shooting NRA Hunters Pistol silhouette and falling plates, I have been hit a few times and consider it a minor nuisance rather than a hazard.
I have a set of 6-6" steel plates but no frame. You can have them if you want to drive out near Palmer and pick them up.

Dick's had/has some plate racks with three targets suitable for large bore pistol. I bought one for $40 there.

Just make sure that your club allows you to use them. Shortly after buying it, one of my former clubs changed their rules so you could only use THEIR plates (which were missing/damaged at that time). I now belong to one club that allows me to use my plates and one club that forbids them.

This is what happens when you piss off a plate rack and it decides to shoot back at you:

cut001a.jpg

Under my armpit:
cut002a.jpg

Had I not have been wearing safety glasses things might have been MUCH worse. The cuts and bruises go away.

I don't know where you live but if you live anywhere near Harvard just join that club. they have a pair of plateracks setup all the time.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom