Body armor/Tactical plate carrier

Don't underestimate the psychological effect of tactical assless chaps. This is all I wear below the waist.

View attachment 415043

Seriously though, I don't use trauma pads. Gotta draw the line somewhere. But I do wear pants.

100% effective. If a a guy was wearing those, I would be laughing so hard I could never hit him.

I hope you guys are stocking a trauma kit with these plate carriers and know how to use it. If you are really getting shot at there is a pretty good chance that plate ain't gonna do much for you seeing as how it only covers a small part if you torso. There is a reason the guys that wear these things for a living have a medic with them or a medical evac plan in place, 10x12 plates are only to stop a one shot drop so that medic can patch you up and get you to a trauma facility.

CW2.0 kicks off, I'm triple tapping everyone in the general dick region and lol at their fancy ceramic plates that likely cracked when they hit the pavement and proceed to bleed out.

If you have steel plates memory foam or non-Newtonian gel trauma pads are a must unless you want broken ribs or worse. HMWPE or composite ceramic plates dissipate impact energy a bit. Some have trauma pads built into a fabric cover. Still beneficial to have an extra trauma pad. They really don't weigh anything.

Dressing up in the PC, holding the rifle and thinking your ready is great, I couldn’t imagine rounds flying by me I will tell ya that much. I had a gun aimed center mass at me when I was 19 and I will never forget it. I hope I would be able to conduct myself the best way I could to defend myself in a gunfight if it ever came down to it. F’kin hope it don’t ever happen being brutally honest lol

Dressing up in the PC, holding the rifle and thinking your ready is great, I couldn’t imagine rounds flying by me I will tell ya that much. I had a gun aimed center mass at me when I was 19 and I will never forget it. I hope I would be able to conduct myself the best way I could to defend myself in a gunfight if it ever came down to it. F’kin hope it don’t ever happen being brutally honest lol
2g9Q.gif

CW2.0 kicks off, I'm triple tapping everyone in the general dick region and lol at their fancy ceramic plates that likely cracked when they hit the pavement and proceed to bleed out.
Brewer has that covered with his chaps. [laugh]
It's different for everybody, but the first time I was shot at I had complete auditory failure. I have no idea why, but all I could hear was like a "wop wop wop" and my own blood pumping. A swift slap to the brain bucket and I was fine. I have been told it is not that uncommon.

100% effective. If a a guy was wearing those, I would be laughing so hard I could never hit him.

Only wish I was cool enough for them. The funniest part is the seam giving contour to the crotch. Now I can't unsee the tactical vag.

It's different for everybody, but the first time I was shot at I had complete auditory failure. I have no idea why, but all I could hear was like a "wop wop wop" and my own blood pumping. A swift slap to the brain bucket and I was fine. I have been told it is not that uncommon.

"On Combat" by Grossman goes into great detail about how human bodies respond to combat. Fascinating stuff.

"On Combat" by Grossman goes into great detail about how human bodies respond to combat. Fascinating stuff.
I can imagine gunfights expose people pretty damn well. Working at the jail for 20 years I used to tell new guys that good or bad their true identity will get exposed one way or another at some point, the faking it till you make it thing will expire long before your career is up.

At least with gunfights we have a chance to train. Grossman wrote the book so we could learn from the history and science we've accumulated, know what to expect, and how to prepare for it. A few of the topics that struck me most were sleep and the cumulative effects of deprivation, adrenaline response, controlling fight/flight/freeze through "fear inoculation" in a shoot house, just how common it was to piss or crap in pants when heart rate skyrockets. Thousands of soldiers were ashamed of it but never knew it's just a physiologic response and extremely common. So with that knowledge one might take a "battle crap" just before their teams rolls out.

My biggest takeaway was training scars. He recalled some cops didn't want to bend over and pick up brass, so they thought nothing about dropping casings into their hand and pocketing them during range time. Later some cops would be in a real gunfight and be surprised to find brass in pockets, wondering how it got there. They hadn't realized they were adding it to the mental routine during training and couldn't forget it in a real fight. Some cops were found shot to death with brass in their hands. So they changed their training dramatically.

Another wild case was the cop who constantly practiced disarming. He was always handing a pistol to his wife or partner, having them point it at him, disarming them, and then handing it back to go again. Then one day he was in a convenience store when a robbery started. The robber pointed a gun at him and WHOOSH, it was in his own hands, like lightning, just like he practiced. Then he handed it right back to the robber, just like he practiced. They stared at each other, both confused since this wasn't what either expected, before his partner rounded the corner and shot the guy.

"On Combat" is also good reading for any family members wanting to understand what that mil/LE member in their life is being subjected to.

I can imagine gunfights expose people pretty damn well. Working at the jail for 20 years I used to tell new guys that good or bad their true identity will get exposed one way or another at some point, the faking it till you make it thing will expire long before your career is up.

That makes sense. What traits made some better prepared for jail life? How did you see some adapt or fail?

Get the trauma pads to protect your body from the force of the round/slug.

1/4” thin piece of foam isn’t going to stop trauma resulting from 3” of back face deformation (BFD). Perhaps it will lessen the sting from 1/2” deformation (caliber and distance dependent).

Remember, when performing CPR, they teach 2” of chest wall compression to adequately pump the heart. So with that degree of BFD, you’re gonna result with a collapsed lung (or two) as well as some serious internal trauma that most likely will be fatal anyways at that point.

1/4” thin piece of foam isn’t going to stop trauma resulting from 3” of back face deformation (BFD). Perhaps it will lessen the sting from 1/2” deformation (caliber and distance dependent).

Remember, when performing CPR, they teach 2” of chest wall compression to adequately pump the heart. So with that degree of BFD, you’re gonna result with a collapsed lung (or two) as well as some serious internal trauma that most likely will be fatal anyways at that point.

That's the reality. A bullet straight through the heart might leave someone 5-7 seconds longer to fight (thus the Mozambique drill, ideal but not always possible).

So armor isn't meant to guarantee surviving a center mass impact but increase your odds. It might just buy you enough time to still win. If you also survive, next stop is buying a lotto ticket.

At least with gunfights we have a chance to train. Grossman wrote the book so we could learn from the history and science we've accumulated, know what to expect, and how to prepare for it. A few of the topics that struck me most were sleep and the cumulative effects of deprivation, adrenaline response, controlling fight/flight/freeze through "fear inoculation" in a shoot house, just how common it was to piss or crap in pants when heart rate skyrockets. Thousands of soldiers were ashamed of it but never knew it's just a physiologic response and extremely common. So with that knowledge one might take a "battle crap" just before their teams rolls out.

My biggest takeaway was training scars. He recalled some cops didn't want to bend over and pick up brass, so they thought nothing about dropping casings into their hand and pocketing them during range time. Later some cops would be in a real gunfight and be surprised to find brass in pockets, wondering how it got there. They hadn't realized they were adding it to the mental routine during training and couldn't forget it in a real fight. Some cops were found shot to death with brass in their hands. So they changed their training dramatically.

Another wild case was the cop who constantly practiced disarming. He was always handing a pistol to his wife or partner, having them point it at him, disarming them, and then handing it back to go again. Then one day he was in a convenience store when a robbery started. The robber pointed a gun at him and WHOOSH, it was in his own hands, like lightning, just like he practiced. Then he handed it right back to the robber, just like he practiced. They stared at each other, both confused since this wasn't what either expected, before his partner rounded the corner and shot the guy.

"On Combat" is also good reading for any family members wanting to understand what that mil/LE member in their life is being subjected to.

That makes sense. What traits made some better prepared for jail life? How did you see some adapt or fail?

So where can I find multicam diapers?

I cant speak for shocknawe but from my experience in somewhat relavant setting.
De-escalation, not being a pussy when needed and being consistent.
Guys that act tough or beat their chest on power trip get eaten up. Guys that are corner hiders don't do well either. Need to be consistent. If you act tough you better be able to back it up.

To echo @edmorseiii

You better have a stack of chest seals, and know how to do a good assessment to find holes
Not sure if thats a general statement or directed at me but yes I agree and also do have some seals and other med along with some training to use it.
I think that it doesn't matter how Gucci your gear and plates are if you get center massed by a big/fast rifle round its gonna suck.

Not sure if thats a general statement or directed at me but yes I agree and also do have some seals and other med along with some training to use it.
I think that it doesn't matter how Gucci your gear and plates are if you get center massed by a big/fast rifle round its gonna suck.

Just a general statement.

I must've found someone else when I searched for those because I could've sworn they were $150+.

PIG makes more than one PC, so it depends what you are looking at. The Pig Brig is a very minimalist, low pro slick PC.

No semi elastic shoulder straps with pads, no padded cumberbund... Just velcro & plates lol

Back
Top Bottom