• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Falling out of like with a gun

Wow, took my son to the range and got back to 4 pages of really great advice. Thank you everyone who has contributed ideas so far.

To answer a lot of people's different questions:

1. I shoot at MFS for the most part. I'm trying to join clubs but my travel schedule makes getting to that one monthly meeting where I can sign up a challenge :) ... I'm intending to join Hopkinton.

2. I shoot at paper targets, I've done several classes at MFS and had a couple of months of one-on-one training while waiting for my LTC to come in. I run thru those drills a lot. Recently I've had more fun shooting with my shield and revolver than the p226.

3. I did a little USPSA shooting and it was fun. It's something to pursue.

I took the P226 out and had fun with it this morning but as a few people mentioned: it's freaking huge and I am not, it's only real use to me is a range gun. I'm tempted to trade it for a p229. I'm not really worried about any future legality because I'm already transitioning out of MA to my new place in FL....I already have a couple of ideas for new guns, I shot the FNX-45 recently and it was ridiculous how accurate I was. Also the 226 is a production gun, standard MA model from this year - it's not like it couldn't be replaced easily.

So I think I just went around in a big circle there... keep the ideas and advice coming, it'll help me work out which direction to go....

Hey....maybe I should trade for that 229 in .40 :p

Englishbob,

This is great advice above. If you could answer some questions, I'd appreciate it.

1)where do you shoot?
2) what do you shoot at?
3) have you ever shot an IDPA or other practical shooting event?
4) if no - have you ever considered shooting an IDPa type event.
5) so I can make suggestions on places to go, where do you live?

I took the P226 out and had fun with it this morning but as a few people mentioned: it's freaking huge and I am not, it's only real use to me is a range gun. I'm tempted to trade it for a p229. I'm not really worried about any future legality because I'm already transitioning out of MA to my new place in FL....I already have a couple of ideas for new guns, I shot the FNX-45 recently and it was ridiculous how accurate I was. Also the 226 is a production gun, standard MA model from this year - it's not like it couldn't be replaced easily.
One thing I have learned in my many years on this planet is that the most reliable, most respected, well-built, premium-priced new handgun is not necessarily the most exciting handgun in the world for a given individual to own and shoot. Truth is that the P226 has never done much for me. It's a gun that I want desperately to like but have never been able to warm up to. I've had the opportunity to buy one many times at good to outrageously great prices and yet I still can't get up the motivation or excitement to add one to the collection. It doesn't mean they aren't great guns, but "excitement" is not the first word I personally associate with the Sig Model P226.

As I posted earlier (re-quoted from MaxStravinsky to give proper credit), "It's just time to buy something new." God is telling you to get out there and find a new handgun to add to the collection that really excites you. It's a very personal thing so I'm not going to offer any specific advice except for what a gun shop fellow told me about two months ago that made an impact and positive change in my own focus. Paraphrasing, he said that "new guns are nice but used guns are where the real fun is." Might not apply to you yet or to your situation at all, but keep it in mind for future reference just in case you ever get bored again. [grin]

EnglishBob.

What it sounds like you really need to break the boredom of these reciprocating steel yawners is...

A revolver in .44 mag. (or 500 S&W)
Let men be men...

Last edited:
Mod it! Get the srt trigger, maybe different sights, mew holster, something to bring back some newness. I love my 226, it's a Tac Ops, and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Dry fire the hell out of it, work that DA trigger until it's nothing...

Never sell.

Unless it's a gay 40.

Say what now?

20140818_173729_zpsx2r1sg3p.jpg

Its a mass produced hunk of steel, not grandpas gun he carried in the Great War. If youre sick of it, trade it off.

Keep the 226, you can send it back to SIG and have a short reset trigger installed, or even change triggers. Go to SIG and take a couple of courses, and try just about any pistol they have and find one you like better, but do that before you let the 226 go. I have Glocks and others and the 226 is my favorite for feel and reliability.

Just sold a guitar, that's my 'new gun' money. Definitely looking at a good 1911 or the FNX-45.

There's a voice in the back of my head that says "keeping a reliable 9mm gun around is a good thing", equally interesting voice says "sod that, get a 229 instead"

Just sold a guitar, that's my 'new gun' money. Definitely looking at a good 1911 or the FNX-45.

There's a voice in the back of my head that says "keeping a reliable 9mm gun around is a good thing", equally interesting voice says "sod that, get a 229 instead"

Don't know if this would be a consideration...but 9mm is arguably the most abundant cartridge worldwide. The possibility of desperate times may influence your decision to abandon the platform.

@EnglishBob...do you have any long guns?

I saw you mention any pistols but maybe you need a change of platform completely. Ever shot clays, it's fun as hell...which leads to my second question.

Do you have anywhere you can shoot outside?

I get bored to tears just punching paper at MFl...Miss when I was back in CA and could go out on BLM land and turn a small fortune in Dollar store vases, 3 liters and shaving cream cans into trash. Know anyone with some land or club membership who would let you tag along?

I wouldn't sell it. Get another gun if you have to, but I wouldn't sell the Sig. I don't like the 229, but I love my 226.

German built ones have a better rep, I currently own a W. German p226 that I'm in love with, I have never owned a NH made p226 to compare to, but I had a brand new p229 a couple years ago, and then got my hands on a German p228 and that beat the hell out of the 229, all around.

Englishbob,

If you have a place in FL, remember that when you are down there, you are a legitimate resident of FL. (Per the ATF and FL, MA doesn't matter)

That means that with a MA drivers license and a tax bill for your place in FL you can legally buy firearms there, right now. That means that handguns that can be possessed in MA but can't be purchased new for reasonable prices in MA(Glocks, many 1911s, etc) can be purchased by you in FL, then brought to MA and its perfectly legal.

Just make sure that you don't bring any new standard(high) capacity mags up from FL with you unless they are pre-ban. To make this work all you have to do is FA10 it once you get to MA.

Just an FYI.

By the way, it sounds like you should sell the 226.

For what its worth, i have no use for standard "duty" sized guns. I own a Glock 26, 19, 17, and 34. Basically just tifferent sizes of the same guns. I NEVER use the 17. If I'm going to the range, I use the 34. If I'm carrying, I use the 19 or 26. So even though the 17 may be the one gun to have when you can only have 1, if you are allowed to specialize and own more than one, it gets beat by the 34 for range use and the 19/26 for carry.

Don

Get a good (e.g., Sig, or S&W) 1911. That is a handgun that you cannot get bored with.

@EnglishBob...do you have any long guns?

I saw you mention any pistols but maybe you need a change of platform completely. Ever shot clays, it's fun as hell...which leads to my second question.

Do you have anywhere you can shoot outside?

I get bored to tears just punching paper at MFl...Miss when I was back in CA and could go out on BLM land and turn a small fortune in Dollar store vases, 3 liters and shaving cream cans into trash. Know anyone with some land or club membership who would let you tag along?

I picked up an AR in July but left it in FL as it's not compliant, although I think I'll pick up a new MA compliant upper so I can bring it back. I also picked up a 10/22 that I'd love to use at longer distances than 35' :)

I'm a member of an outdoor club in FL but MA clubs seem to have that 'come to our general meeting once per month on a random Tuesday to join' rule which has been a challenge for someone who travels regularly or works non-traditional hours.

I'd love to try shooting clays... don't even know how to get started although I assume using a shotgun will make it less frustrating.

Englishbob,

If you have a place in FL, remember that when you are down there, you are a legitimate resident of FL. (Per the ATF and FL, MA doesn't matter)

For what its worth, i have no use for standard "duty" sized guns. I own a Glock 26, 19, 17, and 34. Basically just tifferent sizes of the same guns. I NEVER use the 17. If I'm going to the range, I use the 34. If I'm carrying, I use the 19 or 26. So even though the 17 may be the one gun to have when you can only have 1, if you are allowed to specialize and own more than one, it gets beat by the 34 for range use and the 19/26 for carry.

Don

Thanks Don - that's why I'm considering an XD next, a little more functional and I shoot them better than the glock...even though a nice chunky and uncarryable FNX-45 would be fun - I will probably have to start competing in something (3 gun? no clue what that is but I'm hoping it's like Cowboy where you absolutely require certain guns, perfect excuse to buy more stuff!) to justify it. In my FL town there are several local gun stores that are twice the size of anything I've seen here in MA, there's a 3rd opening just down the street that's threatening 10,000 sqft of retail space but I think that's not happening for another month or so.

Back
Top Bottom