Falling out of like with a gun

Ok, as you know I'm a relatively new shooter so this is a new experience. I'm bored with my p226... I'm assuming this can happen over time. How do you guys deal with it? Trade/sell it? throw it in the safe until you want to shoot it again?

It's a slow day, give me ideas. I'm leaning towards trading it, but should I be wary of trading out my first gun? (not that I'm sentimental at all).

Is the p226 the only gun you own? If so don't sell and in order to buy another one.......

Do you own any shotguns? Do you own a rifle?

It took me a few years to get to this goal but you should be starting a collection of the following.....for obviouse reasons:

1. self defense handgun......you have it
2. Shotgun.......home defense/huntting.......like an 870 remmy or 500 mossy
3. center fire rifle.......7.62 x ????? like a bolt action hunting .308 or 30-06 or hell even a mosin nagant
4. rim fire rifle......like a 10-22 ruger or bolt action/lever action 22
5. some type of semi auto rifle.......of course the AR is what we are talking about here

Pretty much once you ahve those fire arms you have what you need......you know.....for a rainy day........ther will be plenty of debate about what is the best to own for each category......but even if you have a "basic" example of each of these 5 categories you have a great start.

THen you can start trading up and selling / buying to upgrade what you have you know like trade/sell the mossy or remmy scatter gun for a better quality semi auto or sell you handgun for one you want

but always......ALWAYS HAVE AT LEAST those 5 items with ammo to feed em in your safe.

Last edited:
I guess I need a bolt action next.....

Do you think I can get away with using a mossberg 500 for sporting purposes? I got it primarily for home defense.

Mod it! Get the srt trigger, maybe different sights, mew holster, something to bring back some newness. I love my 226, it's a Tac Ops, and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Dry fire the hell out of it, work that DA trigger until it's nothing...

Did you say "mew"?

Do you think I can get away with using a mossberg 500 for sporting purposes? I got it primarily for home defense.

Whats it got for a bbl?

If its an 18 cylinder bore, then another barrel would be a good idea.

If its a 22" with chokes, you're borderline.

If its a 26 with chokes, you are good to go as-is.

Are you bored with the gun, or bored with standing at the line shooting static paper targets? I would suspect the latter. If you haven't, take a basic defensive pistol class. You'll shoot a bunch, but more importantly, you'll get some drills that can make range time more fun and far more productive. You can really get most of the drills from YouTube.
QFT

I've hit three perfect rounds of trap in the last 3 months and usually hit for 23 or 24.....with Mossberg 500 12G. Yes.......you can use a mossy 500 for just about anything.........if it has a short self defense barrel just look around in the want ads for a used 26 inch or longer bird barrel....preferably with changeable chokes......but I do the aforementioned trap scores with a fixed full choke 30 inch barrel.

Additionally clay sports is the most economical shooting you can do next to 22lr. 3-4 bucks a round for trap at the clubs that do public shoots and a box of target loads goes for between 6-8 bucks these days......so for about 10 bucks a round you can go have a great time..........shoot the breeze with some good people in between rounds......and really learn how to handle that scatter gun in the process.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of trading in my P226 also. It was my first gun, and only gun for 18 years til recently.

But I don't really get attached to stuff, so might trade it in toward a VP9 or Glock 19, both of which will be more versatile and probably easier for my wife to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom