FAL brass ejection ???

So I took the new DSA SA58 FAL to the range finally on Saturday. I really like the way it shoots - less recoil than the M1A - and maybe I am getting better but I think I am more accurate with it too.

But I am trying to figure out where it flung all my brass. I try to be pretty religious about picking up all my brass. The M1A makes it easy - it pretty much always ejects to the right and flings it about 6 feet or so at the most.

The FAL appears to fling the brass about 15-20 a little forward and to the right (of course) - but I couldn't find all the brass, and I spent quite some time looking for it. I probably only recovered about 3/4 of what I fired.
I also got a number of brass streaks on the receiver cover just to the rear of the ejection port - is this normal?

I didn't do any adjusting on the gas regulator - I tried it just as it came out of the box and it seemed to fire fine.

Do I need to adjust the regulator - or is flinging the brass that far away normal for the FAL? Are the brass streaks normal too - and is there anything I can use to get them off?

Close the gas port completely, then open it a couple of clicks.
Fire, opening the gas port a click each time, until the gun will fire a mag without malfunctions, then open it one more click. Excess gas will be hard on the gun and the brass.
The FAL does not self-adjust, like the M14.
Be aware that not all 7.62 NATO ammo is created equal.
You will probably have to adjust for ammo from different sources.
Remember to make note of your settings for each brand/load.

Jack

Close the gas port completely, then open it a couple of clicks.
Fire, opening the gas port a click each time, until the gun will fire a mag without malfunctions, then open it one more click. Excess gas will be hard on the gun and the brass.
The FAL does not self-adjust, like the M14.
Be aware that not all 7.62 NATO ammo is created equal.
You will probably have to adjust for ammo from different sources.
Remember to make note of your settings for each brand/load.

Jack

This is only part right , open the gas port till the bolt will stay open ( only use 1 round in the mag ) after last round fired , then open 2 more , will be perfect . As for brass kisses on bolt cover , yup they do that .

This is only part right , open the gas port till the bolt will stay open ( only use 1 round in the mag ) after last round fired , then open 2 more , will be perfect . As for brass kisses on bolt cover , yup they do that .

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the hold open.
You can tell it has been a while since the FAL went to the range.[laugh]

So many rifles, so few weekends.[crying]

Jack

"So many rifles, so few weekends"

That's why all my guns have "dance cards" attached showing the last trip to the range. Thanks for reminding me I haven't taken my FAL to the dance hall for a while...

1 click past hold open for range use... 2 clicks for combat! [smile]

You can also check the setting with 3-5 rds in the mag after singles. If it shoots the mag, add the clicks.

Yea, my SAR-48 hasn't seen daylight since the Shirley NES shoot. [sad]

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom