"factory" night sights rusting

The night sights on my sig p229 (done at 4S) are rusting in the center notch of the back sight. And this is not a small amount of rust. I saw it today (this is new as it wasn't there last week) and my jaw dropped. This gun has been in a safe with multiple desiccant packs. Anyone else having issues with this humidity? I don't even know what I am going to do about the rust... I thought they used factory sights and I can't believe it is rusting like this. [crying]

I would soak it in CLP, then wipe it down. Maybe if you could find a silicone impregnated pistol sock that would help also. I keep all of my long guns in remington green gun socks .

The night sights on my sig p229 (done at 4S) are rusting in the center notch of the back sight. And this is not a small amount of rust. I saw it today (this is new as it wasn't there last week) and my jaw dropped. This gun has been in a safe with multiple desiccant packs. Anyone else having issues with this humidity? I don't even know what I am going to do about the rust... I thought they used factory sights and I can't believe it is rusting like this. [crying]

WOW... Story of my life. I have a P226 and the same thing happened with a small wrinkle. I also noticed the same sort of "rusting" as well on the back of the slide where the grooves are. It was my daily carry semi-auto until I gained weight and could not effectively conceal that beast [crying] Though I have lost that so maybe it can come back out of the safe [smile]

Anyhow, use a good oil and a silicone cloth. I even called Carl and he told me I could return it under warranty if I wanted... Anyhow, the good oil, silicone cloth and bore stores did the trick and no pitting or "rusting".

To this day, I was never really sure it was was "rust" or some by-product reacting.

Back
Top Bottom