Face to face weapon sales

I have searched a little bit and I'm still confused as to that the law states as far as doing face to face gun sales between normal citizens (non FFL holders)
Is it legal to buy or sell used guns between friends/family members or do all sales need to go through someone with an FFL?
ex. Can I legally buy a shotgun from a friend without doing all the paperwork like I would if I bought from a dealer?
Thanks

Assuming both of you are licensed for the gun in question, an FA-10 is all you need. The seller is responsible for sending it in, not the buyer.

Assuming both of you are licensed for the gun in question, an FA-10 is all you need. The seller is responsible for sending it in, not the buyer.

I didn't see a location anywhere in your info so I just checked your posts, and read that you're from Maine. IIRC, you'll need to go through a FFL in your home state if you are purchasing any firearm across state lines from a private seller. Buying long arms in a gunstore or other retail location other than your home state is permitted.

If you both reside in Maine, this might be lawfull. I'm not well versed on the firearms laws in Maine. But if buying across state lines "without doing all the paperwork " Nah, even if the two of you had C&R FFL's there is still paperwork.

Last edited:
There is no permit or license needed to purchase or sell a rifle, shotgun, or handgun in Maine. You must verify that the person you are selling to is over eighteen if you are selling a handgun according to state law. But you must make sure they are over 21 according to federal law.

There is no permit or license needed to purchase or sell a rifle, shotgun, or handgun in Maine. You must verify that the person you are selling to is over eighteen if you are selling a handgun according to state law. But you must make sure they are over 21 according to federal law.

Thank you!
I trying to decide between a new and used Mossberg 500. The used weapon is from a friend, has been used very little, and is a much better price than a new one from the store.
I just wanted to make sure the sale could be completed as simply as me handing over cash and him handing over the gun. I don't want to break any laws

There is no requirement for paperwork to do a transfer in Maine as long as both people are Maine residents. Private party (Non FFL) transfers of any weapon between two people who live in different states is against the law.

However, if a person is selling a gun in Maine in a private party transaction, the selling should ask to see a ME DL to confirm age and residency. Even though you are not required by law to check, you would still be breaking Fed law if you sold a gun to a non-resident. Also, I believe the Fed age requirement of 21 for handgun transfers is only applicable to FFL holders. FFL holders must follow Fed law on that but private party sales are bound by the sate law.

BTW, my advice is worth what you paid for it.

Last edited:
When selling a firearm F2F in Maine, I always ask to see a Maine Driver's license and ask the question, "Are you legally restricted from owning a firearm in Maine?"

I write the driver's license number on a bill of sale, get the answer to my question on a bill of sale, and complete the transaction.

If a prospective buyer is not willing to provide both bits of info, then another buyer will!

I save all my private transaction papers. I have no idea if my a$$ is covered, but there will never be a question that I sold a firearm to a known felon, which is against the law in Maine.

The best way to CYA is record the serial, model number of the firearm and OLN's of both the seller and buyer. Call the local or state authorities and say, I am about to sell a firearm_________ here is all our information, if we do not hear this sale is prohibited within 24 hours we will consumate the sale.

All is recorded and both parties are covered.

Back
Top Bottom