Moving to another town in Maine

late08

NES Member
I hold a CWP in Maine, issued by the local police department (not state police). If I move to another town that is its own issuing authority, would I be considered a new applicant? Yes, I know its a constitutional carry state, but I get the permit regardless for certain benefits outlined in other posts.

Last edited:
So I am told, you do the COA with whatever issuing authority you are moving to. If its a location where the state does the issuing, you do a COA with them. If its a location that is its own issuing authority, then you do a COA with the local town office/police department. Pretty straight forward, not sure why I got so wound up on it.

Listing of locales where the state is the issuing authority:
https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/sites/maine.gov.dps.msp/files/inline-files/Concealed Handgun Permits - Town Listing.pdf

Last edited:
What's a COA? Any CWP issued by a Maine authority is recognized statewide, so you're not going to be considered a new applicant just because you moved to the next town over.

What's a COA? Any CWP issued by a Maine authority is recognized statewide, so you're not going to be considered a new applicant just because you moved to the next town over.

COA = Change of Address - when you move you have to file a COA with the new issuing authority, you have 30 days to do it or you are considered a new applicant again.

Back
Top Bottom