FA10 for Black Powder Muzzle "Cannon"?

namedpipes

NES Member
Is an FA10 required in these cases?

A black powder muzzle loading signal cannon or noisemaker, manufactured in 19XX. (see firearms/equipment for image ~ 3pm today)

A black powder muzzle loading "cap and ball" rifle, manufactured in 19XX.

Head swimming trying to wrap it around all these useless regulations. . .

A black powder muzzle loading signal cannon or noisemaker, manufactured in 19XX. (see firearms/equipment for image ~ 3pm today)

That cannon would not likely fall under the definition of either firearm, rifle, or shotgun. It would be closest to a shotgun, but isn't because there is no trigger. So I'd say no FA-10 needed.

namedpipes said:
A black powder muzzle loading "cap and ball" rifle, manufactured in 19XX.

If it's a replica of one manufactured prior to 1900, no. If it's not a replica, yes.

That cannon would not likely fall under the definition of either firearm, rifle, or shotgun. It would be closest to a shotgun, but isn't because there is no trigger. So I'd say no FA-10 needed.

The Worst Case Scenario in me is wondering if they might be classified as AOW?

Neither are meant to shoot projectiles, just bp & a wad, so I'm pretty sure they'd be classified as a signal cannon, which ought to mean I don't file fa10 and don't register / pay $200 with batfe.

On the other hand I don't specially want a knock on the door.

The Worst Case Scenario in me is wondering if they might be classified as AOW?

Neither are meant to shoot projectiles, just bp & a wad, so I'm pretty sure they'd be classified as a signal cannon, which ought to mean I don't file fa10 and don't register / pay $200 with batfe.

On the other hand I don't specially want a knock on the door.

http://www.cannon-mania.com/legal.htm

This site states: The BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) does not consider signal cannon and muzzle loaders as weapons. but they don't cite anything.

They go on to say some states and municipalities might have different interpretation and in particular might see them as fireworks or have noise laws.

Back
Top Bottom