Eyesight and Lasik

I've decided that after a layoff in shooting service rifle, I'm going to practice and get the remainder of my points to finish off my distinguished badge. Problem is, my eyes are not what they were when I was shooting 5 years ago and I'm trying to decide what to do about it. I've resisted wearing glasses for the most part, having tried them while shooting service rifle and not being happy with the results. For shooting, I see myself with two choices, specialized glasses or possibly Lasik. Has anyone that shoots service rifle had Lasik done and if so, how has it worked out for shooting? I have an appointment next week to see if it's even an option for me. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have an appointment for a consult on July 2nd, so i'll let ya know what he tells me too.

glasses can work, and they can work VERY well....but you have to be VERY particular with how you set them up. I'm running 2 pairs of knobloch's now. I know one guy in Maine who had a VERY successful Lasik procedure (he legged out shortly after he got back after his surgery).

Jasper, how did the consult work out? I went for my consult and the doctor said I wasn't even close to being a candidate for Lasik. Shooting tells me otherwise but what I do know is that I'm getting frustrated. Shot at Camp Smith last weekend and after shooting a really good offhand (at least for me), I proceeded to shoot 4 rapid fire groups low. Sort of kept it together at 600 with a 190, keeping all but 2 shots within the 10 ring elevation wise. An 8 and a 7 out the left was due to changing condition. Scoped out the line and a few people were out the left at the same time. The fuzzy front post is a real buzz kill. Maybe when I sit and lie down, the blood gets cut off to my brain....

I had Lasik done 10-12 years ago when I was in my late 20s, and it worked out very well for me. However, they told me that it would not keep my eyesight from getting bad when I get old(er) since this has to do with the eye muscles I believe. I don't know how old you are, but I believe Lasik is basically for people under 40. You should be able to get a free consultation from anyone that does Lasik surgeries.

I'm 56 and the place I went to has been in business for 20 years and will do it again for free if your eyes require it. My wife had it done and is really happy. She still needs to use reading glasses but doesn't need them for distance, which she had since she was in high school.

I'm not a highpower shooter, but I had LASIK last year and I now have 20/15 vision in both eyes. I would highly recommend doing it. I had a hard time before with scopes because I would alternate between glasses and contacts and my zero move was fairly significant between the two. My vision before was 30/70 left and 20/50 right. I went to Dr Frangieh in Norwood, MA. I highly recommend him, very straight forward and professional.

ETA: Frangieh also guarantees the results and will recorrect later for free if it changes.

It's not an option for me. My eyes were 20/15 up to about 6 or 8 years ago and I miss them although they are not too bad, just bad enough to turn the front post fuzzy. After an illness and the loss of my shooting partner (son joined the Army) I basically did not shoot any more across the course matches for the last 5 years. Should have stuck with it while the eyes were still good.

It's not an option for me. My eyes were 20/15 up to about 6 or 8 years ago and I miss them although they are not too bad, just bad enough to turn the front post fuzzy. After an illness and the loss of my shooting partner (son joined the Army) I basically did not shoot any more across the course matches for the last 5 years. Should have stuck with it while the eyes were still good.

Take a look at the $28 kit at the bottom of this page
http://www.bjonessights.com/AR15.html

You need to use the long hood from Compass Lake Engineering to fit the 2 orings and the lens in.

+ powers help you see the post better
- powers if you needed to see the target better

Jasper, how did the consult work out? I went for my consult and the doctor said I wasn't even close to being a candidate for Lasik. Shooting tells me otherwise but what I do know is that I'm getting frustrated. Shot at Camp Smith last weekend and after shooting a really good offhand (at least for me), I proceeded to shoot 4 rapid fire groups low. Sort of kept it together at 600 with a 190, keeping all but 2 shots within the 10 ring elevation wise. An 8 and a 7 out the left was due to changing condition. Scoped out the line and a few people were out the left at the same time. The fuzzy front post is a real buzz kill. Maybe when I sit and lie down, the blood gets cut off to my brain....

my consult actually went REALLY well. explained to the doctor about the shooting that I do, and what I needed out os the whole procedure. She said I'd notice the little nuances more than most people, because of the rifle shooting, but that I was in the top 1-2% of candidates who had successful results. what was REALLY interesting was the waveform mapping of my eyes. I do have a *very* slight astigmatism (not enough to correct with glasses, really not even enough to measure with the regular rig they use at the optometrists office.

Right now, I'm planning on doing it towards the end of october, after the season is over. that gives me 4 months of recovery/adjustment time before anything really starts up, 5 months before the creedmoor cup, and almost 8 months before Perry.

I'm excited for it. Since I started shooting in contacts again, my scores have jumped big time. (4th overall / 1st service rifle in the new england regional, and won the overall in the EIC)...the only thing i find myself struggling with is my contacts fuzzing out during the rapids....so I have to make a conscious effort to blink, and use rewetting eyedrops just before my strings. so far, it's been working for me.

what was REALLY interesting was the waveform mapping of my eyes.

Right now, I'm planning on doing it towards the end of october, after the season is over. that gives me 4 months of recovery/adjustment time before anything really starts up, 5 months before the creedmoor cup, and almost 8 months before Perry.

was that the red semicircles? if it is, i asked about that, and they said it was actually 255 lasers being shot into the eye, it bounces off the back of the eyeball, and they measure the distortion of the beams on the way back out to know exactly where they need to trim.

in 5-6 months, your vision will probably be razor sharp. I had Custom LASIK done about 5 years ago, and i don't regret it. My eyesight has started to slip a little, but not enough for me to worry. I can still see the monitor, and read road signs.... the only issue i've had is that they are a little drier than they used to be. This is especially true after staring at a computer monitor all day.

i *think* there were red circles for one of em. the one that really stuck out to me was a bright blue rectangle that started vertical, then spun at like 100mph, then stopped horizontal.

she did mention that because my eyes occasionally get very dry (allergies, i think), that the 6week (something like that) dissolving tear duct opener things might be a good option for me. they basically plug your tear ducts open a tiny bit, so that your eyes *stay* moist. she did say its super important to stay hydrated if I did that though.

I have a pretty bad astigmatism and it was not a limiting factor. As long as your eye is symmetrical (true oval) they can adapt the procedure for it. I was in the office for 15 minutes start to finish. When I was done he gave an immediate vision test and I was 20/40 in both eyes. Went home and slept for 4 hours. I was reading a book that night. My vision reached 20/15 in under a week. I had a slight halo effect for about 10 days as the flap heals. I was shooting two weeks later.

I had LASIK Interlace in the spring of 2010 (using the laser rather than the blade to cut the flap) and I made sure to tell them I shoot frequently.

RIght after I had it done, I was seeing 20/10 to 20/15 (+.25, +.00) which lasted about year. The Doc said they initially over correct to account for a little regression in most people. Now, two and a half years later, I'm back to 20/20 (-.25) and I still see halos around bright light from time to time with all the night driving I do. But it has been nothing but a help for shooting, and I don't use optics.

Like someone else noted, LASIK is mainly for those with nearsightedness, not for those who naturally need reading glasses as they age. If you're already nearsighted, they can undercorrect one eye to mitigate your need for reading glasses, but if you're only complaint is you need reading glasses for the first time in your life, I don't think LASIK will be much help.

highscore

If LEG Points are your goal will you be at the LEG match at http://www.nfga.org/highpower/highpower.html this Sunday?

If yes, you are welcome to look thru my rifle with the Bob Jones lens (see post #8 in this thread) in the rear sight hood.

I'm 52 and the setup that works for me on the days my eyes cooperate is a +.63 lens in the rear hood with a .040" aperture and a .052" front sight post.

My name is George Smith. I'll be there early helping out getting the match squadded and such and helping run the match. Just ask for me or wear a name tag that says highscore on it so I will know who you are.

George

I had Lasik done 10-12 years ago when I was in my late 20s, and it worked out very well for me. However, they told me that it would not keep my eyesight from getting bad when I get old(er) since this has to do with the eye muscles I believe. I don't know how old you are, but I believe Lasik is basically for people under 40. You should be able to get a free consultation from anyone that does Lasik surgeries.

I actually thought the opposite, my eyesight (as I got older) hasnt changed in the last 8 years. I thought I might be a good candidate for LASIK now that I am over 40? Any thoughts............

The fuzzy front post is a real buzz kill.

Have you considered trying a Bob Jones lens in the rear hood? It's pretty amazing how well it works to shift the focal point for those of us who are getting older. [grin]

If you're ever in the area you can take a peek through mine. Best part it they're only like $25 or $30 bucks.

EDIT: George beat me to it. Great minds think alike?

I use a +.75 and I like it. I also tried a micro sight at one point, which didn't work for me. The simple lens is the way to go.

Last edited:
HI Guys, Sunday will probably be tough for me although I like the range, it's where I got my ten points and my son legged out the same day. It was a good shooting weekend! I will be up in the fall for sure. My fat ass is on the home page (wearing a yellow shirt), talking to John Kallenback with my son Steve behind John.

I have the Jones sight, although I need to try other powers to find one that will work. Unfortunately just when I stopped shooting, I was going to throw the Jones stuff out because a problem that Bob did not fix for me. I bought stuff at different times and the threads were different and not everything would screw in as they should have. I met him at Perry and he ran a tap through the leafs and it still didn't work. I may contact him and send everything to him and give it another try. I just started shooting with the stock sights but until this year, it was just 200 yards and wasn't a huge problem for me.

Back
Top Bottom