• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Eye & ear protection for indoors?

Foam plugs ear plugs with Peltor Ultimate 10 muffs over and ESS Crossbow suppressor safety glasses. The thin arms on the suppressor glasses fit better with muffs.

Ear protection: EP5 SONIC DEFENDERS® MAX plugs and Peltor muffs. Also helps with flinching.
Eye protection: Tactical RX prescription safety glasses. Have the Almost lens on the right eye. Great to see the front sight. Left lens is a bi-focal .

Last edited:
Howard Leight foam ear plugs plus some muffs.

I double up on ear protection since I already have some non-firearm related hearing loss.

Wife & I Also use the plugs for sleeping to block out each others & the dog's snoring.

Eta: for eye protection, I typically use my prescription polycarbonate eye glasses. Don't think they are rated. Need to look into rated prescription glasses with & without tint.

Amazon product ASIN B0007XJOLGView: https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Visibility-Disposable-Earplugs-200-Pairs/dp/B0007XJOLG?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a pair of earmuffs that don’t squeeze your head too hard? With the ones I have, I always end up with a headache after about half an hour.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a pair of earmuffs that don’t squeeze your head to hard? With the ones I have, I always end up with a headache after about half and hour.

That headache can also be from the sound waves produced by the shots fired and bounced around on an indoor range. Depending on caliber, distance, number shots fired, and that applies to whoever else is there too. I have been indoors solo shooting and no problems. I have been on a medium to full range and the have the headache issue after 60 to 90 minutes. I find not next to the wall or not dead center shooting positions are best. For a 10 lane range I avoid spots 1 2 shoot on 3 4 avoid 5 6 shoot on 7 8 avoid 9 10.

I normally use Axil GS Extreme earbuds. When I want to double up (indoors or on the .50) I add a pair of Pro Ears predator Gold ear muffs. The earbuds are nice since they are bluetooth enabled with a mic so you can hook them up to you mobile phone and answer it without removing your ear pro. The Pro Ears are good, but they don’t allow you to really crank up the volume so if you double them up with just plugs you still can’t hear range commands. Doubling them with the Axils lets me still hear range commands.

Can anyone recommend a pair of earmuffs that don’t squeeze your head to hard? With the ones I have, I always end up with a headache after about half and hour.
Is it more like a tension headache or a sinus headache? I know with my .50 BMG I have to use a swimmer’s nose clip or I get a sinus headache from the concussion. If it’s more like a tension headache you could try to switch to a high quality set of ear plugs or electronic ear buds. My Axils are just about as good as most electronic muffs.

Boston Quiet Comfort II noise canceling headphones and some $5 shooting glasses from Wally World.
The headphones are super comfortable. Not too tight, not too big, and they don't squeeze my glasses into my head like actual shooting headphones do.

That headache can also be from the sound waves produced by the shots fired and bounced around on an indoor range. Depending on caliber, distance, number shots fired, and that applies to whoever else is there too. I have been indoors solo shooting and no problems. I have been on a medium to full range and the have the headache issue after 60 to 90 minutes. I find not next to the wall or not dead center shooting positions are best. For a 10 lane range I avoid spots 1 2 shoot on 3 4 avoid 5 6 shoot on 7 8 avoid 9 10.
I get the headache even if I’m outside shooting solo so I think it’s got to be the muffs. I usually wear a pair of rubber plugs in addition to the muffs too.

Is it more like a tension headache or a sinus headache? I know with my .50 BMG I have to use a swimmer’s nose clip or I get a sinus headache from the concussion. If it’s more like a tension headache you could try to switch to a high quality set of ear plugs or electronic ear buds. My Axils are just about as good as most electronic muffs.
Definitely a tension type headache from the muffs squeezing my head. I’ll have to look into the electronic plugs/ buds.

Bose Quiet Comfort II noise canceling headphones and some $5 shooting glasses from Wally World.
The headphones are super comfortable. Not too tight, not too big, and they don't squeeze my glasses into my head like actual shooting headphones do.
Um.. noise canceling headphones don't provide any hearing protection. Bose specifically states their products should not be used as hearing protection.

I get the headache even if I’m outside shooting solo so I think it’s got to be the muffs. I usually wear a pair of rubber plugs in addition to the muffs too.
Definitely could be the muffs the band may be too tight pulling on the skull.
Muffs are like holsters, some work better based on the head and ear shape.

Um.. noise canceling headphones don't provide any hearing protection. Bose specifically states their products should not be used as hearing protection.
I think a lot of people, and catalog descriptions, confuse (active) noise cancelling and electronic. For the uninitiated, electronic hearing protectors allow you to have a conversation and turn off their microphone so fast it doesn't amplify the muzzle blast. The active noise cancelling type have a microphone feeding a speaker that makes "anti-sound" (sound waves 180 degrees out of phase), that cancel the sound that makes it inside the ear cup. However, those won't cancel frequencies above about 700Hz and a muzzle report has huge amounts of energy at higher frequencies. Active noise cancelling will improve protectors with good sound insulation, but it isn't a replacement for passive insulation.

Last edited:

I use the Sony model discussed in the linked article for flights. Picked over Bose because of fit. I'd never consider them for the range. I'll have to look at the Peltor since I need to replace my old Howard Leight set (only a NRR 20 on those so I always double up with foam plugs).

Back
Top Bottom