extending preban mag capacity

I ordered a mag extension the other day for a glock that would make a 13rd mag hold 30rds, then I get a email for them that says...

Apologies for our system not catching this before your order was processed.....

We're sorry, but as our site notes (attached for your reference), selling either the parts required to extend or a completed 30-round magazine in MA is illegal. Even if you were able to provide us with proof of your legal ownership of a +10 round magazine prior to the ban of 1994, MA law considers an extension kit a modification to the capacity, and not a repair. Parts to repair a pre-ban magazine are ok; parts to expand it aren't.

Or, at least that's what our lawyers and the MA AG are saying. If you have something in writing you can share with us that would cause either of them to revise their opinions, we'd be most anxious and appreciative to learn of it.

Is this true

YES

btw what caliber Glock?

I'm picking up a G26 over the weekend and I am going to order a G18 33 round magazine for it just for grins, then I'm going to look for a G17 or 19 to add to the collection.

Even Pearce brand finger rests that add capacity (usually +2 in a 9, +1 in everything else) are illegal in MA. MA residents can only get the ones that don't add capacity

Last edited:
bingo you are stuck with 13 rounds, unless there is a preban hicap out there somewhere

nope, it is a felony IIRC, in MA and a couple of other places.

Last edited:

When FS might have hypothetically sold me a pre-ban, U-shaped Glock regular capacity magazine with a +2 extension already installed, it was illegal?

Are you a lawyer? Do you have a law citation to back this claim up?

YES

btw what caliber Glock?

I'm picking up a G26 over the weekend and I am going to order a G18 33 round magazine for it just for grins, then I'm going to look for a G17 or 19 to add to the collection.

Even Pearce brand finger rests that add capacity (usually +2 in a 9, +1 in everything else) are illegal in MA. MA residents can only get the ones that don't add capacity

bingo you are stuck with 13 rounds, unless there is a preban hicap out there somewhere

NO!

You clearly have NO idea what you are talking about. +2, +5, +50 extensions are all LEGAL if added to a preban magazine. Stop spreading misinformation, this is hardly the first time you have been flat out wrong.

[rolleyes]

What vellnueve said.

Glockaholic (or someone else), could you provide a cite on the law or rule the prevents one from extending the capacity of existing pre-ban hi-cap magazines? I cannot find anything in the MGLs that prohibits modification of pre-ban large capacity feeding devices, nor anything that defines extending a hi-cap as a modification.

The altered magazine would be a large capacity ammunition feeding
device. The fact that the materials used to construct the magazine were made prior to September 13, 1994, would not mean that
the magazine was manufactured prior to that date. A new
magazine with the capacity of accepting more than 10 rounds of
ammunition would have been manufactured and it would be subject to
the prohibition in section 922(w).

Since you in MA are still running under the AWB rules...

The altered magazine would be a large capacity ammunition feeding
device. The fact that the materials used to construct the magazine were made prior to September 13, 1994, would not mean that
the magazine was manufactured prior to that date. A new
magazine with the capacity of accepting more than 10 rounds of
ammunition would have been manufactured and it would be subject to
the prohibition in section 922(w).

Since you in MA are still running under the AWB rules...

Wrong. [rolleyes]

Completely wrong.

That was taken from another NES post, and was part of a letter from the BATF

And you conveniently twisted the words and took it out of context in order to support your rear-end-backwards viewpoint.

You are referring to the second letter in the above linked post.

The letter refers to the production of a 14 round 10mm magazine from a preban 20 round 9mm magazine. This is producing a new magazine because it will no longer function in the firearm it was made for, and changes the caliber of the magazine.

Simply increasing the capacity of an existing preban magazine without altering its function in the firearm for which it was originally designed, without changing caliber, is LEGAL.

Last edited:
The vendor is full of s**t, quite frankly. they probably just don't want to sell anything to MA, because the laws suck here. Just use an end around with a drop in NH or wherever and
get it that way.

The AG's office NEVER comments on these kinds of things, so there is no authoritative answer from the state, like on most gun laws here. Maybe they called someone at EOPS and Cosmo gave them an answer. (if they even did that) [laugh]

A mag extension on a preban mag, at least under the feds, was perfectly fine. I have no reason to believe it would be any different under the MA ban.

People in MA have been using +2 basepads, etc, on preban mags for what seems like forever. There's nothing in MGL to indicate that modifying a preban mag to extend capacity is in any way illegal.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom