Expired / Lapsed LTC Question

If your LTC expires or lapses, my understanding is that you are required to turn over your guns to the local police.

Does having an FID card prevent you from having to do so? I am just wondering if I should have one as a backup.

I could be completely wrong, but, I remember the police officer who instructed the coarse I took to get my LTC telling us you have a window of time in which you do not have to turn in your firearms, but that they MUST remain in your home till you have rectified the lapse in licensing. Id just ask the local PD or licensing official just to clarify

You can have someone else with an FID keep them until yours is restored.

I do also think there is a grace period.

That's correct but I believe it is contingent on you having applied for renewal.

There are actually two different categories of 'extension' listed in S131. Paragraph (i) says that your license is automatically extended 90 days after it's expiration point if you have filed for a renewal before the license expired. While paragraph (m) says that possession of firearms after the expiration of your license is not a criminal offense, only a civil offense (with a $500-$5000 fine) and that a LEO shall confiscate any firearms found if an expired license is more than 90 days past it's expiration date, with no mention of whether a renewal app was in place or not. Of course, nowhere does it say that the LEO can't confiscate the firearms before the 90 days. It only says the LEO must confiscate them after 90 days, leading me to the supposition that it's at the LEO's discretion before that point.

You can have someone else with an FID keep them until yours is restored.

Practically, yes. But if somebody wanted to make a real stink about it, technically no. C 140 § 129C says that you cannot possess or own any guns or ammunition without an LTC or FID. You'd have to transfer them away with FA-10s, transfer them to a dealer, or move them out of state to be 100% protected.

Think real hard about why that is.

headsplode1.gif

i think bottom line is try not to let it expire [wink] that way you dont give anyone any reason to deny or take anything from you.

Shouldn't this be in the MA law section?

So glad I can let my pistol permit lapse and not have to change anything other than not carry my pistol in my car, openly carry my pistol.

Back
Top Bottom