Ever wanted to try USPSA Shooting? (2016 Edition)

It's that time of year again! I know this is a lot of cut n' paste from previous years but hopefully we get some new eyes on it this year or some of you that wanted to take the class in past years but couldn't will be able to make it. I know that I never really wandered down to the competitive shooting forums here on NES until I stumbled upon this class at my club around 5 years ago and got hooked on the action shooting sports. With that in mind I have posted this announcement here in "General" for the past couple of years so it would be seen by a lot of folks who hadn't even thought about getting into competitive shooting. We've had a good number of NES members through the class since I started posting it here and hopefully the trend will continue this year!

Once a year Hopkinton Sportsmans does an Introduction to USPSA class at the club. If you've ever thought about trying your hand at "action" pistol competition this class will teach you everything you need to know to be safe and comfortable at your first match. It's a two day class on March 12-13 and covers all the range commands, procedures, safety rules, scoring, how to breakdown a stage, etc, and includes a simulated match on the second day that is run just like the real thing. oh, and lunch is included both days in the class fee (short money at $75). We will also be giving each student who completes the class a voucher for 1 free USPSA match at Hopkinton ($20 value) just to make sure people get fully addicted to the sport [wink]. After taking this class you will be 100% comfortable walking up to the registration table at your first match, whether it's at Hopkinton or another club.

Info on registration can be found HERE, or feel free to post here or PM me with questions. You can also stop by the Hopkinton Sportsman's Association table at the upcoming Marlboro Gun Show, we have a setup there each year with pamphlets, videos, and some gear to check out. If independent reviews are your thing then there are some comments from students in last years thread that you can check out.

Some FAQ on the course:
Q: "How good do I need to be with a handgun to take this class?"
A: You don't need to be a crack shot but you do need to be comfortable with the operation of your gun. Safety is the #1 priority, we don't care if you hit any of the targets but you do need to keep the rounds on the range and operate the gun in a safe manner at all times.

Q: "What do I need to have for the class"
A: You need a safe and functional handgun, at least 3 magazines (or speedloaders of some kind for revo), a holster that fully covers the trigger (preferably OWB), a sturdy belt to hold it all together, and 200 rounds of ammo. Some loaner gear is available on a first come first served basis.

Q: "What kind of gun can I use"
A: USPSA has division for just about any modern handgun from 9mm - .45. Something in the mid to full size range works best.

Q: "How is this different from other action pistol sports?"
A: The most common sport to USPSA is IDPA, and many shoot in both types of matches. IDPA tries to focus on more "real world defensive" scenarios and tactics, USPSA is just about having fun and challenging yourself.

for those who don't follow the different disciplines USPSA is about "run, gun, and have fun"...you choose how you want to shoot a stage and do it as quickly as you can while still getting your hits (or that's the theory, I forget that last part sometimes). If you're more of a visual person here's a youtube of me at my second match after taking the class back in 2011.

[video=youtube_share;SKmW10-bV1c]http://youtu.be/SKmW10-bV1c[/video]

and this one is after a few years of practice, it was shot at the 2014 Area Championship match in New Bedford....I'm shooting a CZ in the Production division. I also worked with the guys at my club to design, build, and run the Raiders of the Lost Ark stage in the video.

[video=youtube_share;wVIXE6JorLw]http://youtu.be/wVIXE6JorLw[/video]

If USPSA doesn't look like your thing other clubs do classes on IDPA, 3gun, service rifle, and probably everything else so do yourself a favor and check the Competition forums every now and then...it's a lot more fun than standing in one spot poking holes in the same piece of paper 50' away!

Hope to see some NES'ers at the class,
Peter "BostonBullit" of the Hopkinton Heavy Hitters and HHH CPPS

To those that want to sign up:

Send a check for $75 payable to "Hopkinton Sportsmen" to:

Hopkinton Sportsmens Assn
Attn: USPSA Class
95 Lumber St
Hopkinton, MA 01748

The class includes two lunches - pick anything off the menu at www.dinospizza-hopkinton.com. We don't try to be cheap by having a few pizza brought in, or putting out a platter of cold cuts. (We generally spend about a third of the class fee on food)

To any gun enthusiast on the site that has been putting holes in paper or shooting store bought metal plinkers by themselves at the range i suggest you try any form of "competition". I know this is a thread to promote a specific training event.....i apologize for the hijack. But....there are plenty of clubs that offer open to the public pin shoots plate shoots and low key 3 gun. Believe it or not they are pretty much judgement free zones (as long as you are safe). Also....i find myself having more fun.....and using LESS ammo per trip! Because you actually shoot less than when you are by yourself.....but the shooting is more challenging and you concentrate its more edfective imo....and when you are waiting your turn its a social event. So anyway if you have never tried comps.....you should! With this event or any other.

I'm interested as hell for this but I can't apply for my LTC til May. I'll definitely be joining y'all in 2016, unless there's another event planned for later on in 2016.

I'm interested as hell for this but I can't apply for my LTC til May. I'll definitely be joining y'all in 2016, unless there's another event planned for later on in 2016.

i don't think you need an ltc to attend. you just need to convince a friend who has a ltc to go with you and lend you a gun.

No one will care how slow you go, as long as you are safe.

Tru dat! [grin] I help run this class and have been shooting with this group of people for about 20 years now. I am certainly not fleet of foot. An ankle fusion will do that to you. But I enjoy this type of shooting more than any other. Great people, great fun, and you WILL learn to be a better shot.

I only have two standing rules;
1. don't scare the Range Officer. (me)
2. everyone has fun.

All else comes after.

Man, work cutting me off from NES really kills my ability to keep up with this stuff....

Can old guys with bad knees take the class? Of course! There's a timer involved but you don't have to pay attention to it. Actually I urge students to ignore the timer and just focus on being safe. Most people aren't used to running around with a loaded firearm so managing that experience is your primary focus when you're starting out. I've RO'd shooters who literally walk through the course and I've RO'd guys that I couldn't keep up with they were so fast. No one will give you flack either way as long as you're SAFE the entire time.

Eric H - why can't you apply yet and what's your experience level with firearms? I ask because while this is an "Intro" class it's an intro to competitive shooting, not shooting in general. Students should have a good proficiency with their firearm before taking the class because if you need to spend time thinking about where the mag release is then that's time you're not necessarily thinking about which way the muzzle is pointed. not trying to put anyone down or scare anyone off but I'm going to be standing behind all of you as you run around with a loaded gun so....yea. PM me with your specifics and we can see if the class is right for you!

And as has been said - even if USPSA doesn't look like your bag there are a ton of other types of events out there that are 1000x more fun than just punching paper in your lane and going home. You'll meet a lot of great people (and a few *******s) at these events and have a blast so get out there and find something to try!

Met a few people while working the USPSA booth at the gun show in Marlboro last weekend and while talking about the class and stuff I was amazed that most of them had never heard of NortheastShooters.com. How could you be into guns enough to be spending a beautiful Sunday indoors at a gun show in MA and not know about this site?? I tried my best to spread the good word [wink]

We had a few sign-ups at the show and a few other interested parties. I believe I've answered all PMs but if I missed yours please re-send, things have been a bit crazy at work lately and I'd hate to miss out at getting someone hooked on competitive shooting because of a missed PM!

Met a few people while working the USPSA booth at the gun show in Marlboro last weekend and while talking about the class and stuff I was amazed that most of them had never heard of NortheastShooters.com. How could you be into guns enough to be spending a beautiful Sunday indoors at a gun show in MA and not know about this site?? I tried my best to spread the good word [wink]

So... you lied to them?

I believe there are a few spots left for this years class. I'll check with El Prez tomorrow night at practice and update accordingly. If you want to check things out but aren't sure you want to take the class feel free to stop by the HSA indoor range and say hello, I'll be there starting around 6 and I think some of the guys get there around 5:30. don't forget your eyes and ears....and a gun....and some mags...oh, and ammo

Do post up. Been thinking about this for a while.

For anyone that has been thinking about USPSA but is still on the fence, get off of the fence and jump in.
You will have fun and learn stuff.
USPSA is the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Can you tell me what times the class starts and ends on both days? First post says March 12-13, but nothing about the times. Is the class all outdoors? Or some indoors and some outside?
Just wondering, I may want to try and bring my son up to check it out.

Thanks,
-Cuz.

Can you tell me what times the class starts and ends on both days? First post says March 12-13, but nothing about the times. Is the class all outdoors? Or some indoors and some outside?
Just wondering, I may want to try and bring my son up to check it out.

Thanks,
-Cuz.

We get started at 9am each day. First day is morning classroom and afternoon live fire on the indoor range. We usually finish up around 4 depending on how the students progress. The second day is morning class on more advanced topics and then the match is either outdoor in the action pits or on the indoor range depending on the weather. BTW - everyone cross your whatever that the weather cooperates...the late season snow last year hurt but we still had a good match on the indoor range.

Thanks for the info. Please reserve 1 spot for my son. I'll put a check in the mail over the weekend.

- Cuz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the confirmation letter in the mail a couple days ago.
My thanks to the team for posting the info here and to the HSA membership for providing the facility.

Cannot say I will be able to score many hits, but I look forward to the instruction and the opportunity for some fun and fellowship.

Thanks again guys!

Back
Top Bottom