• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Eotech Holo sights?

The red dot sight I've been using (TRS-25) is too bright at night, and its filtering effect doesn't help any in low light. So, I'm thinking about replacing it with one of the EOTtech Holographic sights, which I understand do not use any filter on the glass, and there's a lot less chance of getting any shine/glint off it because of its flat surface. I also desire a NV-compatible sight.

My concerns are the halo sight's usefulness in snowy conditions. Is the reticle bright enough in very bright light? And, how would dumping snow effect it? I've never handled one, so I'm not familiar with the device's construction. I don't want the sight to be rendered useless if a clump of snow happens to fall on it.

Any feedback?

thanks

I have an XPS (non nvg version) and you certainly will not have any issues as far as snow goes- the eotech gets bright. That said, I also have an Aimpoint T2 and I must say I am a fanboy now. It is small, light weight, has NVG capabilities, is a single dot (vice a CQC circle/dot), gets brighter than you will EVER need it to be (unless you are taking shots at the sun), AND last but not least- you can keep the battery on at power 6 for 5 years. Eotechs eat batteries like crazy (especially if you have the brightness up to combat snow glare) and in the woods, it can be just another thing to have to turn on your Eotech so you dont kill the juice (ive only turkey hunted with mine, though)....

Like others have said it gets super bright. If snow lands directly on it you would be fine but at an angle I could see it blowing into the rear of the sight and accumulating. I will say that I love the eotech but I would get one with CR123s if your going to be in cold. AAs tend to die quicker in freezing temps and I have had issues of AAs leaking over time, supposedly CR123s don't leak.

Pupchow, I'm in western mass and use it for yote hunting, your welcome to check mine out its the xps2 with magnifier and I have another xps2 with NV compatibility.

I've had both the Aimpoint and Eotech. I'm an Aimpoint fanboy now too. I think the Aimpoint Pro is like the best value going. Awesome sight, comes with a mount, battery lasts something like 7 years with the sight continuously on... Brightness is fully adjustable and it's NV compatible. Just awesome.

Last edited:
I like the idea of the XPS but I lost a lot of respect for them when they made that dumbass zombie reticle... when I first saw that shit I was like... is this an april fools joke that got out of hand? Or maybe these scopes are fake and its chinese marketing... lmao

Alright, I'm holding off on the holo for now, since I'm now thinking thermal sight instead of NV. I'd forgotten about those ridiculous zombie holos.

=============

In the interim of saving a large wad for thermal, I ordered an ATN video game, er', X-Sight to play with. The 3x version is currently going for $400 shipped. I'm going to see if it works at all under moonlight over snow cover, w/o using IR (coyote). If no joy unless running IR, raccoons and opossums beware!

http://www.opticsplanet.com/atn-3-12x-x-sight-night-vision-rifle-scope.html

Back
Top Bottom