Single pin bow sights VS all else

I have an older IQ 4 pin sight on a bow new to me that iv been sighting in. I got the first pin set down at Reedys for 15/20 yards dead nuts now its on to 30,40,50 alll with the knowing that 35 is really my comfort zone maybe forty in a perfect situation. Then last night i was down at the new Cabelas to check things out ... and i started looking at single pin sights the HHA's to be specific. With the dial on the side allowing for elevation it seems like a very simple set up you just install ... determine yards to target , adjust and let her fly ? Anyone find them selves constantly having to adjust the elevation with a target that is on the move ... and by on the move i mean slowly walking .. comes in at 40 .. your ready to take the shot and the deer moves to 30 .. you have to stop adjust ? I really like the simplicity of the single pin but ive never seen one in action and none of the guys i run with use them ...

Unless your bow shoots a fast flat shooting arrow out to 30yds, I wouldn't.
I too have thought about a single pin, but adjusting for different yardages when it's crunch time is something I don't want to do.

Other options are the Montana Black Gold ascent. 3 pin sight and the bottom pin is used as the slider.

Or G5 makes a 2 pin. Top is fixed and bottom is the slider pin.

I use a 5 pin sight, but when hunting season rolls around I remove all but 2 pins. 23yards, and 33yards. I hate the clutter of multi pins on a hunting sight.

i have the HHA and i like it for its simplicity. you can practice hold overs so you know where to hold the pin on the target for the desired point of impact, and that can give you a good idea where to shift your point of aim 10 yards further/closer. I like the ability to adhust the brightness of the dot at well, and also the ability to reach out and shoot over 70 yards for target practice on the fly.

ive noticed my 20 and 30 yrd pin are extremely close together .. isnt that a result of fast and flat shooting ?

Arrow weight 400 , 100 gr broad head 62 lbs 26 inch DL , on a matthews chill

Last edited:
ive noticed my 20 and 30 yrd pin are extremely close together .. isnt that a result of fast and flat shooting ?

Arrow weight 400 , 100 gr broad head 62 lbs 26 inch DL , on a matthews chill

Generally yes. I lean towards heavier arrows vs pure speed but fast and flat certainly has advantages for hunting. Missing your yardage guess by a few yards is less critical inside 40 with a fast and flat setup.

I have been shooting a Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg It (5 pins) sight for the last 8 or so years and love it. I won't shoot deer at long range but I like taking 50,60+ yard shots at the range. It's great practice and fun. I am not a fan of adjusting sights on the fly nor am I a fan of 1 pin and dealing with holding over or under. Everyone develops their own likes and dislikes over time. I do get a kick out people who say their bows are so fast that their one pin is dead nuts from 15 to 40 yards though :)

I also have a Spott Hogg hunter and loved it. But my eye sight has declined a bit and I was finding it difficult to distinguish the different colored pins, especially the ones closest together. I picked up a single pin and so far no complaints, but I have only shot it at the range.

Back
Top Bottom