Enfield bolt problem

South Central Massachusetts stationed in GA
I just picked up a Enfield and loaded it up but I have a problem. When you go to close the bolt, the bolt head jumps out of the track. What causes this and what can be done to fix it??? Am I missing something or do I need to replace the bolt head???[thinking] I a little frustrated right now so help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you get some close up shots of the bolt head removed from the receiver and the receiver itself with focus on the track?

Some of the more experienced SMLE owners might be able to help. I don't have any No1 Mk III specimens so I can only be of limited assistance.

Gary

Last edited:
Need to know what kind of Enfield it is. THe bolt head should not jump out of the track at all - if it was put back correctly.

MAKE SURE RIFLE IS EMPTY AND MAG OUT WHEN DOING WHAT IS LISTED BELOW!!

Number 1's - pull the bolt to the rear ( assuming that it can be. ) The bolt head can be pushed up or down from this position only. Pushing down should hear a click as it locks onto the rail. Push the bolt forward to see if head has locked onto the rail.

Number 4's - same as above except to remove the bolt head requires you to pull the release lever at the back of the rail down. This allows you to lift it up. Putting it back down I believe ( don't want to get the rifle out ) you can just push it down. If it doesn't work, pull button down and line up the head on the rail to seat it and then push bolt home.

If that doesn't help, keep describing the problem. We'll get you thru this.

Also, check out the Surplus Rifle site: www.surplusrifle.com and check the Enfield links on left. THey have good info including takedown/reassembly.

Joe R.

A picture would definitely help. Sounds kinda strange, because in order for the bolt head to pass under the receiver bridge, it HAS to be locked down on the rail. I guess the good news would be if the head is screwed up, it is easily replaced.

A picture would definitely help. Sounds kinda strange, because in order for the bolt head to pass under the receiver bridge, it HAS to be locked down on the rail. I guess the good news would be if the head is screwed up, it is easily replaced.
I guess so. It goes fine until half way closed then it jumps of the track. and the extracter rotates from 3 o'clock to about 1o'clock position. I'll go see if I can get some pics.

If you're closing the bolt and halfway down the rail the head rotates, you have problems that can be fixed but attention needs to be paid to get it right. The Enfields use the bolthead as the headspace for the rifle. There are 3, maybe 4 different bolt heads and you need to get the one that matches what you have now. Man, I hope that receiver is straight and not bent any... [sad]

Pictures would be nice to see on this. I've never had any problems with my Enfields except for the mags not wanting to hold the round flat after loading. Fixable with time and pliers...

Joe R.

If you're closing the bolt and halfway down the rail the head rotates, you have problems that can be fixed but attention needs to be paid to get it right. The Enfields use the bolthead as the headspace for the rifle. There are 3, maybe 4 different bolt heads and you need to get the one that matches what you have now. Man, I hope that receiver is straight and not bent any... [sad]
Joe R.

I'm pretty sure this is the No 1 Mk III from the other thread. Still close up pictures would be nice.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom