• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Electronic Scale/powder dispenser combo

Before I bought one, I borrowed and tried 4: The Hornady, RCBS, Lyman (previous Gen), and PACT.

I bought the RCBS Chargemaster.

The Hornady and Lyman were slower and overthrew more often than the RCBS. The PACT was completely unreliable.

RCBS all the way. Get it off Amazon and use their store card and you'll be able to pay over either 6 or 12 months with no interest.

Also, if you find a particular load is not throwing right, you can change the parameters on when the speed changes to better suit your load. Just google the Chargemaster programming for the details. I did this for one of my 223 rounds as was recommended by the source of the load and it not only made the throws more accurate, they are quicker now too.

Also, if you find a particular load is not throwing right, you can change the parameters on when the speed changes to better suit your load. Just google the Chargemaster programming for the details. I did this for one of my 223 rounds as was recommended by the source of the load and it not only made the throws more accurate, they are quicker now too.

The Hornady Auto-Charge can also be set for how far from the target weight to slow down as well as the trickle pulse rate at the end. If set right for the powder you're using it works well and doesn't over-throw. The down side is it doesn't have memory settings where you can save the parameters for each load so keep a notebook handy.

Question for other RCBS chargemaster owners:

Have any of you had issues dispensing small pistol charges? I was working up HP38/W231 loads today in 38 and 9mm today. I noticed that it was throwing fine from 3.0 to 3.5 gr. All charges were on the money or a few +0.1 gr. At 3.6 gr it consistently overthrew (4.4, 4.5, 3.6, 3.6 4.5). I tried much larger charges and they were fine. It seems like it was the transition between med speed and trickle. I tried much larger charges 10, 15 20, 100gr and they were fine (fast, med, trickle). Has anyone else done the McDonalds straw or programming tricks to deal with small charges?

Back
Top Bottom