Elana Kagan compared the NRA to the KKK.

It has become clear that Elena Kagan, Obama’s most recent Supreme Court nominee, is no friend of gun rights, to say the least. While clerking for Supreme Court justice Thurgood Marshall in 1987, she wrote the judge that she was “not sympathetic” to a Second Amendment–based challenge to the D.C. gun ban. While serving in the Clinton administration, she wrote a memo that “paved the way for an executive order banning dozens of semiautomatic weapons,” according to the L.A. Times.

And National Review has learned that in 1996, Kagan apparently tied the NRA to the KKK — yes, the KKK — while debating the Clinton administration’s position on a bill.

The bill in question was the Volunteer Protection Act, which, when it was passed and signed the following year, protected some non-profits’ volunteer workers from tort liability in certain cases. Theadministration worried that it would apply to volunteers from unlikable non-profits.

Two documents discovered at the William J. Clinton Presidential Library and obtained by National Review suggest that Kagan was involved in these discussions. One does not contain her name, but the handwriting appears to be hers. (You can see an example of Kagan’s handwriting here.) It has the name of administration colleague Fran Allegra at the top, and lists two “Bad guy orgs” that might be covered — the NRA and the KKK.

The second does have Kagan’s name on it; it is a memo from Allegra to Kagan. Allegra reports that he checked the IRS’s “Cumulative List of Organizations Described in Section 170(c)” — the list of tax-exempt organizations, which, he says, are the only organizations the bill would cover — and that neither the NRA nor the KKK was on it. “If you have other names you want me to run down in the Cumulative List, I would be glad to check them out,” he adds, suggesting that Kagan requested the initial check of the NRA and the KKK.

Is Kagan so hostile to gun rights that she would compare the top gun-rights organization in the United States with a viciously racist hate group? It sure looks that way. We look forward to her explanation.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NGFkY2E5Zjg1OTFmYjMwODY1ODhlNDVkNTQ0OTdhOTI=

Well, perhaps we are misinterpreting this since the Democratic party has such close ties and joint membership with the KKK? Maybe she looks favorably on both? [wink]

This would be a good time for any of the so called "pro gun democrats" in the US senate to stand up and be counted.

-Mike

This would be a good time for any of the so called "pro gun democrats" in the US senate to stand up and be counted.
Or they could do as the "GOAL A+" rated members of the judiciary did and "reserve their rights" (aka Not Vote)

[sad2]

Amazing to me the racism, intolerance and subjugation the liberal elite get away with while calling everyone else racist...

-Mike

They have showed where they stand relative to the big "0" already; didn't they all vote for healthcare which the majority of the country did not and does not want?

-Mike

I agree, but I would take it a step further. Forget "pro gun democrats", I want pro gun politicians of both parties to stand up and be counted. We're at the point where any politician that does not stand up, regularly, to speak and act on 2A issues should not be considered "pro gun". A vote they took 10 years ago on some half measure non-binding resolution should no longer be enough for a politician to get support from gun owners. It's an election year. If the NRA had balls they would call out EVERY politician on capital hill and not just on this nomination but on every gun related issue before congress. Any politician that does not firmly and openly act on behalf of gun owners should be labeled ANTI gun. period.

Since she compared the NRA to the KKK, I'd like to make the following comparison:

34he9h4.jpg

Let's be accurate. She didn't compare the NRA to the KKK. She cited them as examples of 'unlikable' groups that might be positively effected by that law. From a different political perspective one might cite as example the ACLU and the KKK without necessarily comparing them or tying them to each other.

Is Ms. Kagen liberal and anti-gun? Most probably and I'm sure there's plenty to not like about her. But let's be clear and accurate about what people say.

Let's be accurate.
From a different political perspective one might cite as example the ACLU and the KKK without necessarily comparing them or tying them to each other.
Had the ACLU been lumped in with the KKK as "bad guy orgs" in a Republican memo by a Supreme Court Nominee, they'd be branded a racist, gay bashing, bible thumping, pro-choice crushing domestic terrorist and laughed out of the Senate hearings...

We aren't talking about someone applying for a job at the DMV here...

I know what your saying, but I think the criticism of the bias this suggests is deserved.

IIRC, the issue for the "lumping" was they were concerned that it would "protect" these "bad-guy orgs". So, they were so concerned about inadvertently giving the NRA's volunteers the same protection as the ACLU's that I presume this was considered as a reason to kill or modify the bill.

That's a pretty damning statement in and of itself.

Last edited:
This bowl-cut with a 4 chins will be appointed in the coming days...folks...you will have one thing and one thing only to tell your children..." I witnessed the end of America..."

This bowl-cut with a 4 chins will be appointed in the coming days...folks...you will have one thing and one thing only to tell your children..." I witnessed the end of America..."

A little bit of hyperbole, perhaps? :) She won't even change the balance of the court, let alone cause the end of America.

A little bit of hyperbole, perhaps? :) She won't even change the balance of the court, let alone cause the end of America.

I hear this to often, " ... won't change the balance of the court.". Isn't this precisely what we must do, change the balance of the court? These 5-4 decisions on matters of fundamental liberty are too close. Look ahead another 10 or 15 years and you can see the whole of the judiciary, including the Supreme Court, lost to liberal activism. End of America? Maybe. End of separation of powers, certainly.

We need a liberty-minded President and Congress, and let's hope that 2010 and 2012 deliver that. Meanwhile, there seems to be a sort of passivity and resignation here that leaves me frosted.

Oh, and would everyone who voted for Obama please now apologize, and move to France or something?

I hear this to often, " ... won't change the balance of the court.". Isn't this precisely what we must do, change the balance of the court? These 5-4 decisions on matters of fundamental liberty are too close. Look ahead another 10 or 15 years and you can see the whole of the judiciary, including the Supreme Court, lost to liberal activism. End of America? Maybe. End of separation of powers, certainly.

Actually, if anything, the Court has moved to the right in the last 10 years. I don't see Kagan as the harbinger of America's doom.

Actually, if anything, the Court has moved to the right in the last 10 years. I don't see Kagan as the harbinger of America's doom.
The trouble is that every time a relatively young justice is seated, it pushes forward the time when the politics of the court can deviate significantly.

So, we replace an aging liberal lunatic with a young one and delay the time when someone who actually plans on upholding that oath to the Constitution will take that seat.

As we are going to see - MacDonald is just the first step. It needed to happen or the Constitution was dead, but its just the beginning on defining the limitations of government both with regard to firearms as well as other violations of enumerated powers. If this nation is to survive, we have to change course back to one where trillion dollar deficits don't happen and 1/2 the nation isn't employed or subsidized by the government.

The "New Deal" was a scam from the get go. Those promises could never be kept regardless of intentions. We are now paying for those lies, deceptions and naive ideas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom