• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ejection/ Feeding issues AR Pistol

sweed

NES Member
Here is my problem (see pic). The fired round is not being ejected and thus, the next round is getting stuck because of the spent casing in the way. Anyone have a problem like it? Solutions??
IMAG1632.jpg

10.5" MAS Defense Upper
Ares NiB BCG
Aero Precision Lower
KAK Super Sig tube (made for sig brace)
KAK carbine buffer and spring

I had some light strikes with the JP enterprises spring kit, so I swapped out the hammer spring for a standard one. This also happened when it fired (one time) with the light springs.

I think I might try out my other bcg just to see if its a bcg issue or not. Maybe need a heavier buffer?

Last edited:
Stupid question, but is the gas tube and gas block lined up right? I had an AR that drove me nuts. The handguard was shoving the gas block far enough forward that it wasn't feeding enough gas to cycle.

Honestly, I wouldn't know how to check that. That's why I bought the complete upper because I don't have all that stuff to assemble an upper. Still kind of an AR newb. My first AR I 'built' the same way and has worked flawlessly.

i'd say try a heavier buffer. my 10.5 SBR has jammed up like this and i have heard from others who have similar setups that they have also experienced this problem.

This is true atilla. People skimp on their buffers when something so simple causes this shit. Spikes ST-T2 is a great heavy buffer but you could still get a no name brand heavy buffer.

i don't think i've swapped the buffers, i have a ST2 kicking around... somewhere. need to start pulling rifles apart to find it.

I've read about heavier buffers. I just used the one that came with the KAK pistol buffer kit. I'll pick up a heavy buffer. There are H and H2's, which would be better, our just get both?
Thanks guys

I can't comprehend how a heavier buffer will solve this problem. Judging by the photo, I'd guess its an extractor problem, the extractor isn't holding the case rim long enough for it to clear the ejection port, leaving the case where it is in the photo.

Just my guess. These AR diagnosis threads are fun

I can't comprehend how a heavier buffer will solve this problem. Judging by the photo, I'd guess its an extractor problem, the extractor isn't holding the case rim long enough for it to clear the ejection port, leaving the case where it is in the photo.

there's a thread on arfcom which details chamber pressures and such with charts and data points representing specific barrel lengths, etc.

additionally it's not like i own a rifle in a similar configuration and have experienced the problem personally or anything. [wink]

The heavier buffer gives the gun the opportunity to hit peak optimal pressure. In all likelihood he is stripping the shell too soon from the chamber causing pressure loss.

Either way, it is most certainly a gas problem.

Just curious, have you tried other magazines? I got some AR Stonner mag last year and for some reason, had a horrible issue feeding. Both the feed lips were out of spec and the spring pressure was way to strong, resulting in to much friction between the brass and the feed lips.

Just curious, have you tried other magazines? I got some AR Stonner mag last year and for some reason, had a horrible issue feeding. Both the feed lips were out of spec and the spring pressure was way to strong, resulting in to much friction between the brass and the feed lips.

Just pmags. The only other mag I have is a 60 rounder :)

All these pmags I've tried before and worked

Take the upper off stock one finger in the chamber .
Put muzzle in mouth .......

Warn people in your house your not trying to kill your self .

Blow real hard . That's how I check if my gas blocks are lined up right when I'm not in my shop with a air line .

I think I've made a few people laugh there ass off when I did that .

Blow real hard . That's how I check if my gas blocks are lined up right when I'm not in my shop with a air line .

I'll try this tonight, lol.

Ordered a new H2 buffer and hammer. From PSA, so I'll get it next year and will get back to you guys [laugh]

dude.

can of ****ing duster gas.

I only do that when I don't have any compressed air. And normally the barrel isn't mounted .
I thought I was the only one... I do this during assembly before the brake goes on. It gives you a good seal. The duster could work but I honestly think you get a better feel this way. You def need to clear the room or warn your buddy before you do this.

What kind of ammo were you shooting and if any did eject where were the cases landing?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

What kind of ammo were you shooting and if any did eject where were the cases landing?

American Eagle green tip 556 62g bulk pack. Good ammo that works great in my other AR. I was shooting off a table, but none of the cases ejected. I will use my other bcg and use only one round in the mag to see where it lands and to see if the bolt stays back tonight.

I talked with the owner at MAS yesterday and all their uppers are test fired to make sure the rounds land where they are supposed to with the bolts locked back. They are built to use standard AR carbine buffers (3 oz) and springs. He wanted me to get back to him with all the info on if the Ares is a AR or M16 bcg (pretty sure M16), weight of the buffer, and made sure the bcg was running wet, which it is.
I think this might be an extractor issue, but what do I know [laugh]. The Ares bcg comes with the o-ring (supposedly, I'll check maybe tonight if I have time), and someone at KAK emailed me and suggested a #007 o-ring around the extractor to stiffen it up would help.

I'll get this all figured out, and I'll report back once it's all figured out.

American Eagle green tip 556 62g bulk pack. Good ammo that works great in my other AR. I was shooting off a table, but none of the cases ejected. I will use my other bcg and use only one round in the mag to see where it lands and to see if the bolt stays back tonight.

I talked with the owner at MAS yesterday and all their uppers are test fired to make sure the rounds land where they are supposed to with the bolts locked back. They are built to use standard AR carbine buffers (3 oz) and springs. He wanted me to get back to him with all the info on if the Ares is a AR or M16 bcg (pretty sure M16), weight of the buffer, and made sure the bcg was running wet, which it is.
I think this might be an extractor issue, but what do I know [laugh]. The Ares bcg comes with the o-ring (supposedly, I'll check maybe tonight if I have time), and someone at KAK emailed me and suggested a #007 o-ring around the extractor to stiffen it up would help.

If you have some crappy steel case ammo try that. I have a strong suspicion you are over gassed(gas port to big) and while a heavier buffer could help an adjustable gas block might be the smarter solution here.

5782fd18d523ed0da842c345e03df737.jpg

If it was an Ares from their recent sale, it's most likely a FA carrier. At least mine was. The one that didn't work right, and the one they replaced it with that doesn't run right. Not sure if it just needs some heavy break-in or what, but a semi-auto bolt carrier from my M&P-15 ran the same ammo like a dream. Mine was having different troubles, though - everything ejected, just didn't like to feed or go fully into battery, or lock back on an empty mag.

TL;DR: Be at least slightly suspicious the Ares BCG is the problem. Try a different BCG if you have one.

Swapped out the bcg (WW) and it worked like a champ! Huge fireballs as it was getting late. Now to figure out why the Ares bcg isn't doing it's job. I'll contact them tomorrow.
I checked the casings and they were going back 3-4ish after being fired. Bolt locked back after the last round.

Swapped out the bcg (WW) and it worked like a champ! Huge fireballs as it was getting late. Now to figure out why the Ares bcg isn't doing it's job. I'll contact them tomorrow.
I checked the casings and they were going back 3-4ish after being fired. Bolt locked back after the last round.

You could have went one step further and tried with the original carrier and swapping in just a different bolt.

Back
Top Bottom