Effects of the "Precision Target Sports"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not seen this discussed before and it really doesn't seem obvious to me. Assuming that this becomes law, what will change?

(b) any firearm designated by the secretary of public safety, with the advice of the gun control advisory board established pursuant to section 131½ of chapter 140, as a firearm solely designed and sold for formal target shooting competition. The secretary of public safety shall compile a list, on a bi-annual basis, of firearms designated as formal target shooting firearms in accordance with this paragraph. Such list shall be made available for distribution by the executive office of public safety.”; and by striking out the title and inserting in place thereof the following title:- “ An Act further regulating the use of target shooting weapons.

A quick partial paraphrase makes it seem like we have one person, the secretary of public safety, deciding what is considered a target gun. Who is the secretary of public safety? Can they be blackmailed into not putting anything on the list by the AG or someone else in the usual trade of goods and services politicos perform amongst each other?

We also have the term "formal target shooting competition," what the heck is that? Is there a definition of that? Is there a way to force guns on the list through appeals of some sort?

Additionally, if a firearm is on the list, what is it exempted from? The AGs regs or the testing? Both?

If the firearm is on the target list, it is exempt from the testing.

It does not directly certify AG compliance, however, it will (assuming any guns are placed on this new target list) create a situation where the state has certified that certain guns are "designed and manufactured solely for formal target shooting", which is the same wording as the AG's requirements.

There are two relevant issues regarding AG compliance:

1) Will the AG subsequently decide a gun does not indeed comply?

2) Will dealers have sufficient confidence in a target firearm to be willing to sell it? My guess is that an official certification by the state that a gun is "target only" will go a long way towards convincing dealers that the gun is safe to sell.

I'm not holding my breath on this one. Unlike CA where SAA and such are automatically exempt. I'm not seeing a lot of pistols being put on this list.

While now most SAA pistols are used for cowboy action shooting...there are still people that carry them and use them for things other than cowboy shooting. SO, like Len has been saying, seeing a lot of these on the list isn't very probable.

I think that the same is going to go for 1911s and the like. While they can be dressed up to a race gun, the basic platform is a 1911 and that in itself isn't a target pistol.

This has been discussed at great length before . . . there is another thread on it.

I'll leave it for someone else to use the Search feature and post the URL and then one of us Mods will Lock this thread as a Dupe. I have some work to do so I don't have time to search for it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom