• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Educate me on the modern S&W Model 29s

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

I'm graduating from law school in May and I'm thinking of picking up a S&W Model 29 as a graduation gift. One thing that concerns me is the lock. Looks unsightly and I'm familiar with the history of S&W back then. The other concern I have is on Hickok45's video, he mentioned that the OEM factory grips were too thin and uncomfortable to shoot with full power .44 Magnum loads.

First question I have is should I stop worrying and just buy a new one? Second question is if buying a 29 (no dash) through a 29-6 would be a better idea than buying a new one? Third and final question is if I should go with a 4" or 6.5" barrel. I'd like to carry this gun so my bet is on the 4".

2000th Post!

IMO as it is a gift to you from you I would buy an older prehole. The factory wood grips are harsh. Get a set of rubber grips.
4” for carry.

I did buy a used 629 Classic a month or so ago in 5”. That damn hole bothers me to the point I’ll plug kit it. It’s a hiking gun for the deep woods of Maine.

First of all congratulations on your accomplishment! since you are buying this to commemorate such a meaningful time in your life don’t take the short cut. A new 29 can be had anywhere. A 29 pinned and recessed can be had by doing some looking fairly easily. You would have a revolver that would represent a time when S&W made works of art. My vote is find an older one that has the Pinned barrel and Recessed cylinder. Look in the classifieds on on the Smith and Wesson Forum.

First of all congratulations on your accomplishment! since you are buying this to commemorate such a meaningful time in your life don’t take the short cut. A new 29 can be had anywhere. A 29 pinned and recessed can be had by doing some looking fairly easily. You would have a revolver that would represent a time when S&W made works of art. My vote is find an older one that has the Pinned barrel and Recessed cylinder. Look in the classifieds on on the Smith and Wesson Forum.

The pinned barrels and recessed cylinders were on the 29 no dash, 29-1, and 29-2, correct?

It’s Christmas, not holiday.
The pinned barrels and recessed cylinders were on the 29 no dash, 29-1, and 29-2, correct?

From memory S&W eliminated P&R I’m 1982 so that be at the start of 29-3 production. Smith always used up parts on hand so don’t be surprised to find “transitional” examples of the 29-3 with a pin or recess. Again from memory
Also, I’m not saying after 29-2 the 29 was junk just that this was the apex for Smith in my mind. Don’t be afraid to buy a new one. My vote is invest once and find a killer early 29 you’ll have forever

Buy the new gun and enjoy your success. Shoot it for a bit and then if you love it and don't mind the cost of ammo or the recoil, then on your 1 year anniversary and provide you are doing well go buy an original no dash or close to it and enjoy it for all its glory.
Best of luck either way and congratulations.

I collect 29/629 variants
to me these 44 mag revolvers are simply the best, nothing comes close in terms of fun at the range and classiness
most modern S&W revolvers are built with crap QC although their N frames appear to be more consistent, probably because they're made in smaller numbers
i would certainly consider a modern production one
the main question to determine is the barrel length
my preference for a 44 mag is 6 inch barrel
shorter and muzzle velocity starts to suffer
longer and it gets unwieldy
4 or 5" is good too
porting is a nice feature, can have it done for fairly cheap

don't worry about grips there are plenty of aftermarket options
if you want the backstrap covered, called S&W and order an X frame grip it will fit the N frame and make it retarded comfortable

the best source are used market
most people buy a 44 mag and never shoot it, so used ones often have like zero rounds through them
hell one my 629's i shoot the most has 800 rds through it and it feels like an eternity

the main point though is get a 629 you'll freaking love it

--

629-6, 6.5" barrel, half lug

12-26-2019_629.jpg

Last edited:
3C93F417-8B19-4A27-ACB7-F45983E9983B.jpeg 4F161AAD-44F7-4A02-AB47-E5546C7E8F40.jpeg

Mine is a 629-2. I did the polishing and changed the grips. They’re cocobolo wood. Very comfortable.
8-3/8 barrel 44mag of course. I love it. I do get a lot of lead build up in the forcing cone. No way to clean
it with brushes. I shoot 6 jacketed after shooting lead. It helps some but you really need one of those
electric rod type cleaners to get all the lead off properly.
Other that that the gun is great. 3lb trigger that breaks like glass. Highly recommended!

I'm graduating from law school in May and I'm thinking of picking up a S&W Model 29 as a graduation gift. One thing that concerns me is the lock. Looks unsightly and I'm familiar with the history of S&W back then. The other concern I have is on Hickok45's video, he mentioned that the OEM factory grips were too thin and uncomfortable to shoot with full power .44 Magnum loads.

First question I have is should I stop worrying and just buy a new one? Second question is if buying a 29 (no dash) through a 29-6 would be a better idea than buying a new one? Third and final question is if I should go with a 4" or 6.5" barrel. I'd like to carry this gun so my bet is on the 4".

2000th Post!

The locks a non-issue outside of aesthetics. Theres really nothing in there to bind up the hammer without intentionally engaging it.
If its that big of an issue, there is a company out there that makes a plug for it. 3 seasons of steel challenge and about 8000 rounds through a 627, zero issues with the lock.

Shooting full power .44 mag loads with factory grips can get a little painful. That exposed section of the frame can act as a tuning fork or wedge you'll end up driving into your hand.
X-frame grips for the win!
On that note, you'll most likely never sit down and put 100 rounds through it in one sitting anyway.

4" 29/329/629 makes a great carry gun for about a week. Takes up a lot of acreage and isn't exactly lightweight. I used to carry a 2" .44 spl, 5 shot. Was great in work pants like dickies or something similar. Not so much in booty shorts.

I've never owned a .44magnum but every time a S&W M29 thread comes up, I drool on my keyboard.

Somewhat related topic I recently took temporary possession of a model 681-2 .357magnum, of which the owner is in the middle of moving. I never knew this model even existed and I researched it and found that basically it was S&W's last attempt at producing a duty revolver. I might make him an offer on it. It feels nice in the hand and balances well with that full underlug.

Been a S&W 44fan for a long time. Here's some basics:

- The earlier ones (no dash, -1) are most collectible but lack later improvements to make them suitable for lots of 44mag loads. Look for 29-3 or later to get those features that came early in 29-3 production, all in by 29-4. Model 629 dash numbers are not equivalent to 29 dash numbers in terms of design changes; they are independent.
- The internal lock (IL) starts with 29-8 and 629-6 and later dash numbers.
- Some people are against MIM parts although in fact tolerances are tighter with those. MIM is great and those should not be discounted. Interestingly, most PC guns do not come with MIM parts.
- Similar for the two piece barrels that are being included in the new designs - excellent engineering.
- Anyone who says the quality was better back then than now knows nothing about manufacturing. Early days were focused on craftsmanship, as opposed to process & tolerances.
- Nickel is very cool but harder to clean correctly and I save it for collector purposes.

If you are looking to carry this a bunch let me suggest the 329PD. Now lots of girly men here will say the recoil is to harsh, my pussy hurts, etc. etc. but get the X frame grip and you will love it. Picture of mine on my hip below. Couple of my other carries pictured too.

Check out the model 69 Combat Magnum. Five shot L frame 44mag lighter and not expensive.

NH SHOOT 2018.jpg
Smith 44mag family short barrels.jpg

Been a S&W 44fan for a long time. Here's some basics:

- The earlier ones (no dash, -1) are most collectible but lack later improvements to make them suitable for lots of 44mag loads. Look for 29-3 or later to get those features that came early in 29-3 production, all in by 29-4. Model 629 dash numbers are not equivalent to 29 dash numbers in terms of design changes; they are independent.
- The internal lock (IL) starts with 29-8 and 629-6 and later dash numbers.
- Some people are against MIM parts although in fact tolerances are tighter with those. MIM is great and those should not be discounted. Interestingly, most PC guns do not come with MIM parts.
- Similar for the two piece barrels that are being included in the new designs - excellent engineering.
- Anyone who says the quality was better back then than now knows nothing about manufacturing. Early days were focused on craftsmanship, as opposed to process & tolerances.
- Nickel is very cool but harder to clean correctly and I save it for collector purposes.

If you are looking to carry this a bunch let me suggest the 329PD. Now lots of girly men here will say the recoil is to harsh, my pussy hurts, etc. etc. but get the X frame grip and you will love it. Picture of mine on my hip below. Couple of my other carries pictured too.

Check out the model 69 Combat Magnum. Five shot L frame 44mag lighter and not expensive.

The 329PD looks pretty interesting:

Model 329PD | Smith & Wesson

I'm debating between the 29 6.5", 29 4", and now the 329PD. Trying to stick to a blued gun because that's the Dirty Harry gun and that movie series is what got me into shooting back when I was 18. Stainless or nickel is better for carry and all but the blued 29 was what got my attention.

One of the worst sales I ever made was my M29-2 4". But I wasn't shooting it and I needed the cash at the time.

I can't speak directly to the quality of the newer guns but I have seen several reports praising them. It's too bad that you can't rent guns by the week to evaluate them more fully in your particular environment.

bud, think again before you lay down 1K+ for a scandium framed .44. you want to carry and never shoot, great. want to pound out a couple hundred rounds a week at the range...nope, not the gun you want. my opinion only.

This gets to something else I was going to ask about. How often do you guys shoot full power .44 Magnum? If I wanted to shoot any .44 Mag gun a lot, like say take it to a match once a month, I'd want to shoot mostly .44 Special.

This gets to something else I was going to ask about. How often do you guys shoot full power .44 Magnum? If I wanted to shoot any .44 Mag gun a lot, like say take it to a match once a month, I'd want to shoot mostly .44 Special.

it's not like 38/357 where 38 ammo is abundant
i'm not aware of any budget friendly sources of 44 sp ammo, it's scarce, expensive and mostly HP defensive types
many folks who load the 44 mag do a light magnum loading, something like a 240gr at 1100 ft/s
unless you have a shit ton of 44 sp brass or some source for the ammo i would not bother with this cartridge

bud, think again before you lay down 1K+ for a scandium framed .44. you want to carry and never shoot, great. want to pound out a couple hundred rounds a week at the range...nope, not the gun you want. my opinion only.

+1
the 329 PD is a feat of engineering
truly amazing revolver but Newton's pesky 3rd law limits its use
there's a reason so many on consigment and used market
it's a revolver for an expert shooter who is committed to carrying the 44 magnum
as the owner of a model 69 with 4.25" barrel which is a 37 oz gun, i would have no interest in going lower than this weight
below 40 oz revolver the 44 mag will be punishing to shoot
the 329PD is 25 oz
and yes, momentum is still conserved even in 2020

the one I shoot the most is a current production 629
the half lug helps it balance better but that's all a matter of preference
at 45 oz it's still a handful, if i run 3 cylinders through it i need a break, most people at range fire 1 cylinder then want to take a break
I am considering sending it out for magna port work, and that's coming from dude who isn't a fan of porting in general

personally i would look around for a performance center version on used market - can usually do very well there and get yourself an amazing revolver
Carl at FS tends to stock S&W 29/629's and often has new perf center stuff at good prices

Last edited:
I'd want to shoot mostly .44 Special.
what's the joy in that? i guess everyone is different. in my little 3" i run full house loads through it. and i'm not gonna lie, in that gun recoil is a bit brutal. but it's a lot of fun.

i sold a beautiful 6 1/2" transition m29 20 years ago cause of a cash shortage. i do wish i had it back and think of it often. if i had the fluid money now i'd try and replace it. i have a ruger redhawk 7 1/2" which i think just as highly of. i've just started playing with 300 gr. bullets out of it, something i definitely wouldn't do out of my smaller 29.

View attachment 321061View attachment 321062

Mine is a 629-2. I did the polishing and changed the grips. They’re cocobolo wood. Very comfortable.
8-3/8 barrel 44mag of course. I love it. I do get a lot of lead build up in the forcing cone. No way to clean
it with brushes. I shoot 6 jacketed after shooting lead. It helps some but you really need one of those
electric rod type cleaners to get all the lead off properly.
Other that that the gun is great. 3lb trigger that breaks like glass. Highly recommended!
Get yourself a Lewis lead remover tool. I had some lead buildup in the forcing cone of my DW 44 and this thing works extremely well.

Just make sure to order the 44 cal cone part too. Part number below:
516-400-044MB
Cone Tip, .44/.45

I shoot my Dan Wesson 44 regularly. Lately it comes to the range with my every time. Blow through 75-100 rounds. But I reload so that helps. Can make light powder puff 44 mag loads too. Good luck finding affordable 44 spl ammo.
May want to consider reloading if you want to shoot often like I do.
B3E48868-5357-4365-AC75-497FDDE2F392.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom