Educate me on the modern S&W Model 29s

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
I shoot my Dan Wesson 44 regularly. Lately it comes to the range with my every time. Blow through 75-100 rounds. But I reload so that helps. Can make light powder puff 44 mag loads too. Good luck finding affordable 44 spl ammo.
May want to consider reloading if you want to shoot often like I do.

Yeah I'm expecting to reload for this gun. The .44 Mag is a reloader's cartridge.

Thats a beauty. I had a snubbie 44 years ago doubled a flame thrower.
that is my actual gun. it was up at bec cause i hated the polished stainless finish. lou bead blasted it for me to a more eye pleasing matte finish. he took that photo as i was picking it up.

This gets to something else I was going to ask about. How often do you guys shoot full power .44 Magnum? If I wanted to shoot any .44 Mag gun a lot, like say take it to a match once a month, I'd want to shoot mostly .44 Special.

Not often, and to be honest, where you find .44 mag supplies, you'll find .44 spl brass.
From what I've learned over the years, is when reloading .44 mag (and .357) is you want to fill up the case as much as possible. Dead space lends itself to nasty consequences.
A way around that is .44 spl. Lead, plated, jacketed, it does it all at less of a cost. 180 gr to 240's
My wife would burn through about 200 of my .44 spl's, and only because I'd bring 200. I was using 240 plated and 7 grains of unique (i think) Enough to give a good punch but not so much she'd lose control of it.

When shooting .44 spl's feels like shooting a .22, why not just switch over to a .22 (617) after a box of .44 spl's ?

Last edited:
This gets to something else I was going to ask about. How often do you guys shoot full power .44 Magnum? If I wanted to shoot any .44 Mag gun a lot, like say take it to a match once a month, I'd want to shoot mostly .44 Special.
Everytime I go to the range I bring the DW, lay down 100 rounds easily. 50 of 180XTPs @ 30gr of H110 and then a mix of 240XTPs and 300s

To make for a more fun day at the range, or maybe hunting the elusive paper target. You will "Need" one of these. IMI Timberwolf in .44mag
P1000766.JPG imitw44u747.jpg

Still wish we had ours. My brother, USAF on Guam 1967, paid $72 for a new 6-1/2" Mod 29. He passed the next year and we had it with his returned items. My father had it until about 2003 when he sold it to a friend. Not sure if the guy is still alive or not, I'd love to get it back; the action on it was like butter...smooth as silk

Back
Top Bottom