Eastern Security Safes?

Dream to Dream

NES Member
I've drummed up quite a few old posts on NES that praise Eastern Security Safe for their products and customer service. I stopped by the tent sale in West Springfield and browsed through their inventory. I ended up dropping a deposit on one of their branded "ESS" model safes, the ESS-50.

I can't seem to find many reviews of their line of stuff on here, except one post mentioning that they appear to be identical to the Brahma gun safes (specifically the B-50). I do know that they are made in China, but considering the price point I'm looking at (roughly $1,500 for the safe, before delivery and installation) it will be tricky finding a US-made safe with similar dimensions.

Any thoughts on the line I'm looking at, or the amount they charge for it? I can certainly shift my deposit to another safe if I wish, and there are some fairly nice Champion safes (Mexican made, IIRC) a few hundred dollars north of this safe. However, these appear to be a good value with a lot of good features.

try cannon safes from tractor supply
i think its eve less for the similar size.
i've looked at those for a while, just don't have any way to get them into the basement. [frown]
http://www.tractorsupply.com/cannon-ts7240-tall-wide-body-gun-safe-48-gun-capacity-3910084

There is a manufacturer that markets a "break down" safe of supposedly high quality. The market is LE personnel who often move and thus do not have a house for a conventional safe. Disassembly allows this safe to be installed in an apartment. Wish I could remember the name.

Hey DTD.

I picked up one of these from Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com

It was on sale (the price is still good, and on sale) and you get free shipping to your house.

Not to knock the Tractor Supply Safes ( I love that store, I'm there all the time), but the HD one has a longer burn time.

I also got a bad feeling the last few times I was going to deal with Eastern Safe, I know a lot have bought from there but they can't keep the Westside store open and the main store folks that I have talked to seem real slimey.

Last edited:
I went to the tent sale at the Mendon store hoping that they had good sale prices but was disappointed at the small markdowns.
Even though the safes at places like Tractor Supply have a bit less in fire rating they're 1/2 the price. It's hard to justify spending so much more for the ES brand,especially since that's their budget safe.

There is a manufacturer that markets a "break down" safe of supposedly high quality. The market is LE personnel who often move and thus do not have a house for a conventional safe. Disassembly allows this safe to be installed in an apartment. Wish I could remember the name.

Zanotti

I went to the tent sale at the Mendon store hoping that they had good sale prices but was disappointed at the small markdowns.
Even though the safes at places like Tractor Supply have a bit less in fire rating they're 1/2 the price. It's hard to justify spending so much more for the ES brand,especially since that's their budget safe.

I agree. I had cash in hand and they were not willing to budge. Not even a little bit. I would have rather given a local business my money but like you said it's hard to part w/double the expense...

Isn't the Dakota (sorry no link) another model/mfr that are knockdown safes? I seem to remember someone posting something about them and I think that Eastern carries them.

Random thoughts:

- The most important measure of a gun safe's strength is thickeness of the steel. 10 or 12 gauge is pretty much the standard, 7 gauge (3/16") and 1/4" are on the premium side. None of these put you in the realm of commercial/jewelery store safes.

- Homeowners insurance typically has special limits for loss of guns by theft, but not by fire.

- "Lifetime guarantees" generally do NOT cover electronic lock lockout. Cannon's "lifetime" guarantee on the lock is "we send you a new lock, breeching the locked container is your problem".

- Any lock can fail, but it's more likely with electronic than mechanical.

Last edited:
Anyone have any luck with browning, gardall or amsec? Those are the three I'm torn between in the 30" size. So far I'm impressed with the browning.

I hit the tent sale a couple weeks back as well and decided on a Champion 30cf model. I've seen better prices online but when you factor in delivery and getting the thing into the house it wasn't a big premium to give business to the local guy. I had the internal debate for a while about going with something half the price but it in the end opted for the extra level of both theft and fire protection that the extra money bought.

I was looking at the Patriot safe line as well because I know someone who is very happy with his but I don't like the e lock they use and they don't offer an alternative.

I purchased a Champion Challenger from ESS back in 2001 and had them move it once. I will be buying from them again soon.

I have a Champion from ESS. I thought they were quite good to deal with. I think their prices are comparable to any of the higher end brands.

Last edited:
I purchased my Winchester Legacy from ESS a few years ago and absolutely love it. I looks great in the room, functions great and dealing with ESS was just fine. I could have gone down to Dicks, 2 minutes from my house and bought a decent one, but they were cheaper and not what I wanted. Going to ESS's showroom\warehouse allowed me to touch, feel and play with about 50 different safes.. There was no pressure, and when I decided what I wanted, it was easy to finish the transaction, load it up in the back of my dually, 1,000lb safe and bring it home... now getting it in.... was shockingly lucky and although scary, we did it. I have spoken with the salesmen and the owner many times at the shows... lets face it, they are salesmen, I haven't found them to be anything extraordinary or extra pushy, I need another safe and they know it. I'm sure I will purchase another from them when I can figure out where to put it.. and which one I want.

Swung through last night around 4pm. Someone else from NES was there too hehe. Looking for a first safe large safe and I live in Milford. No brainer. I can't believe how expensive this venture is gonna be [sad]. Not sure when I'll be able to swing it.

Back
Top Bottom