• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Duty Holster: Blackhawk Serpa VS Safariland 6360 “ALS”

Go Safariland. The serpas are crap my agency tested them and had nothing but problems with them. We had one come apart in a weapons retension scenerio. Certain Serpas will also lock a gun in the holster if its put in backwards-like in a off handed weapon draw. Avoid them. I am pretty sure that Norfolk Virginia adopted them Dept wide for pistol as well as taser.

Used a Safariland for years. Both with revolvers and autos. Skip the Serpa.
Any money saved in the initial purchase will be paid for in replacements.

The long term savings with the Safariland far out weigh the initial costs.

I tested the ALS a few months ago. I thought it was kind of "funky" at first but after playing with it I liked it. I believe that's what was settled on for our new M&P .45s.
I know that the Serpas were not in the running for patrol but several will be used for some compacts that will be issued.

Get them both and test them for yourself.

didnt know if you had seen this but a similar message was posted in our squad room at work
I use a safariland 6280 at work but several guys use the serpa and love it

While at briefing today an Administrative Message was posted regarding the Safariland ALS Holsters from the Texas DPS Austin Headquarters. I typed the message as it was posted verbatim

"This is a notice to all Law Enforcement Agencies using the Safariland ALS Holsters.

Provo Police Department, in Provo, Utah has experienced malfunctions with Safariland ALS Holsters. Officers experience failures when shooting prone and gravel was introduced into the body of the holster. Gravel became trapped behind the ALS mechanism causing a re-holstered pistol to lock inside the holster. When this happened the pistol could not be removed from the holster without specialized tools. This failure occured with 58% of the ALS equipped holsters while training officers in specific gun fighting drills on the ground.

Provo Police Department has made Safariland aware of this issue."

Last edited:
It appears that advisory was issued in February. The google links to the pdf @ the Safariland site don't work.
Anyone know if the issue was addressed?

My Dept is currently transitioning to M&P and 6360 ALS holters. In utah they were shooting and an offifer drew his weapon,then went prone and rolled around in the dirt and gravel while the holster was empty.THe holster filled up with sand and gravel . Any holster would malfunction when its full of gravel and dirt.

Something to be said for leather and a thumbreak.

Aggressively defend your weapon with technique and with force, instead of relying on more springs and levers.

Something to be said for leather and a thumbreak.

Aggressively defend your weapon with technique and with force, instead of relying on more springs and levers.

Weapon retention training is key, but a thumbreak holster will get you killed. Felons train to disarm cops, and sometimes in a fight or other dynamic situation you can't have your limb on your gun at all times.

Not only that, but it takes a lot longer to secure a gun in a thumbreak holster than it does in something with a hood.

Weapon retention training is key, but a thumbreak holster will get you killed. Felons train to disarm cops, and sometimes in a fight or other dynamic situation you can't have your limb on your gun at all times.

Not only that, but it takes a lot longer to secure a gun in a thumbreak holster than it does in something with a hood.

Add my support for these comments.

A huge +1 for the ALS holster - super fast, super intuitive and natural. Light years beyond the 070 I started with.

Add my support for these comments.

Another +1

WRT the thumb break, the best feature about the ALS style is you can literally drop the gun into the holster, do nothing else, and it automatically locks in with SOME retention, the hood isn't up, but the other retention features engage and the gun isn't going anywhere, either. Just a nice piece of mind when you need to re-holster quickly and go hands-on.

WRT the thumb break, the best feature about the ALS style is you can literally drop the gun into the holster, do nothing else, and it automatically locks in with SOME retention, the hood isn't up, but the other retention features engage and the gun isn't going anywhere, either. Just a nice piece of mind when you need to re-holster quickly and go hands-on.

It's faster to reholster with one than an 070 too. With hood holsters you also don't have to worry about the strap from the thumbreak getting inside the trigger guard when re-holstering, which could activate the trigger.

Safariland is the way to go, my department just went from the 070 to the 6360. Personally as secure as the 070 is, i feel like i would be found dead with my gun still securely lodged in my holster. The 6360 on the other hand is secure but different. Its easier to reholster and unholster.

Back
Top Bottom