• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dumb question, do HAM lic. have to be renewed, if so, how often and how much?

I am going for at least my General Class. I don't mind paying to take the exam but this isn't something I want to deal with every year or even couple of years in terms of renewing.

Are licenses issued for life?
Another basic question, once you pass the test how do you get a call sign?

yes, every 10 years.

Once you pass the test, check the ULS database (google it) starting after about a week. Once you are in the database, you're good to go. Also, you'll get something in the mail.

Gotcha, so let's say you pass the technician test. Wherever you take the test will then submit your information to the ULS database and they'll assign you a call sign? Then from there they'll update it as you pass more tests.

I looked at the ULS database, looks like they list people's addresses. Is that true?

How much is the renewal eveyr 10 years?

Renewal is free, unless you opt for a vanity call sign. In the case of vanity call signs, the government hits you with a fee at every renewal.

Yup, free renewal (excluding vanity), so it's essentially a lifetime license as long as you leave yourself a little post-it reminder every 10 years. Honestly I think the reason it expires at all is so your call sign isn't tied up forever after you pass on.

Thanks for all the help. The only thing I don't like is they list your address, seems like an unnecessary thing to do, especially with identity theft, etc. Paying for a PO box every year would be an annoying expense.

Thanks for all the help. The only thing I don't like is they list your address, seems like an unnecessary thing to do, especially with identity theft, etc. Paying for a PO box every year would be an annoying expense.

The only requirement from the FCC is that you receive your mail. Business address, relative's address, po Box or whatever you choose should be fine. If they get returned mail they will cancel your license.
That being said, I don't really love the fact that my info is on the public database but it's in a hundred other places too.

Good grief, I just renewed mine and what a pain in the ass. I already had a CORES account from when I upgraded last year. No, not that CORES account. You need a new one, then you link the old one so don't overwrite your account info in your login spreadsheet or you'll need to have it reset for you. None of it is straightforward and now that I've paid, I didn't get a confirmation email or anything, despite them telling you at every turn to provide an email address so you could receive notifications.

The best part is once you've entered your credit card, billing address, etc. the confirmation page looks like something out of a mid 90s site. It actually says "Plastic Card" instead of "Credit Card". Who the hell says that? What an absurd system, that now cost me $35 to support.

Anyway, I hope it's done. I paid and got the confirmation page, just no email and when I look up my callsign the expiration date hasn't moved. It's pending on my credit card, so that's a good sign.

I can't believe the .gov has made a worse system than I could have imagined. The only thing worse is probably the LotW registration. Maybe.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the new expiration date is today/2033 instead of January/2034 like it should be, because I renewed early (AKA within the 3 month window before it expires).

B. I can't believe it's been 10 years.
C. I can't even fathom 2034.

Good, my renewal went through and the new expiration date is correct. I expected the worst and was thankfully proven wrong.

Someone told me the other day the test for people getting their GMRS license is navigating the system. I believe it.

Good grief, I just renewed mine and what a pain in the ass. I already had a CORES account from when I upgraded last year. No, not that CORES account. You need a new one, then you link the old one so don't overwrite your account info in your login spreadsheet or you'll need to have it reset for you. None of it is straightforward and now that I've paid, I didn't get a confirmation email or anything, despite them telling you at every turn to provide an email address so you could receive notifications.

The best part is once you've entered your credit card, billing address, etc. the confirmation page looks like something out of a mid 90s site. It actually says "Plastic Card" instead of "Credit Card". Who the hell says that? What an absurd system, that now cost me $35 to support.

Anyway, I hope it's done. I paid and got the confirmation page, just no email and when I look up my callsign the expiration date hasn't moved. It's pending on my credit card, so that's a good sign.

I can't believe the .gov has made a worse system than I could have imagined. The only thing worse is probably the LotW registration. Maybe.
Your license fees at work….why is every gov’t website an abortion? They must hire these jobs out the lowest bidder.

Back
Top Bottom