• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Drone skeet!

Palladin

NES Member
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...one-over-her-virginia-property-with-one-shot/

“This drone disappeared over the trees and I was cleaning away, there must have been a five- or six-minute lapse, and I heard the ‘bzzzzz,’" she said, noting that she specifically used 7.5 birdshot. “I loaded my [20-gauge] shotgun and took the safety off, and this thing came flying over my trees. I don’t know if they lost command or if they didn’t have good command, but the wind had picked up. It came over my airspace, 25 or 30 feet above my trees, and hovered for a second. I blasted it to smithereens.”

Legal to shoot down a drone that is in the airspace above your property assuming you can otherwise discharge a firearm in your town and are within any applicable distance setbacks from other dwellings?

I have no problem with her destroying the drone. Go fly it over public land or risk losing your drone to shotgun and or other gun fire.

I am editing this to say if you want to fly over private property then get the owner's permission similar to what hunters here in the northeast needing to get the owner's permission to hunt on private land....

Last edited:
1439934815-droneshot.jpg

Legal to shoot down a drone that is in the airspace above your property assuming you can otherwise discharge a firearm in your town and are within any applicable distance setbacks from other dwellings?

Um....No...drones are now considered aircraft...so before you go rackin' that ole' 870....read on...

2. Aircraft Sabotage (18 U.S.C. 32)

Amendments to 18 U.S.C. § 32 enacted in 1984 expand United States jurisdiction over aircraft sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce. This statute now also makes it a Federal offense to commit an act of violence against any person on the aircraft, not simply crew members, if the act is likely to endanger the safety of the aircraft. In addition, the United States is authorized under the statute to prosecute any person who destroys a foreign civil aircraft outside of the United States if the offender is later found in the United States or, effective as of April 24, 1996, a national of the United States was aboard such aircraft (or would have been aboard if such aircraft had taken off) or a national of the United States was a perpetrator of the offense. See USAM 9-63.221, et seq.

Um....No...drones are now considered aircraft...so before you go rackin' that ole' 870....read on...

Amendments to 18 U.S.C. § 32 enacted in 1984 expand United States jurisdiction over aircraft sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce. This statute now also makes it a Federal offense to commit an act of violence against any person on the aircraft, not simply crew members, if the act is likely to endanger the safety of the aircraft. In addition, the United States is authorized under the statute to prosecute any person who destroys a foreign civil aircraft outside of the United States if the offender is later found in the United States or, effective as of April 24, 1996, a national of the United States was aboard such aircraft (or would have been aboard if such aircraft had taken off) or a national of the United States was a perpetrator of the offense. See USAM 9-63.221, et seq.

I missed the part where is said private drone in my backyard.,

I am curious if you think it is that cut and dry. I think you will find that your little drone will be treated much like a tree overhanging my yard and less like a 747 with 200 passengers.

I missed the part where is said private drone in my backyard.,
How high do you consider your back yard? If a drone needs to travel between two points, it will often need to pass over some private property on its way. The FAA limits it to 400 feet, so it has to be able to transit below that altitude.

That said, I keep mine over my private property or out in public somewhere with no crowd below. I don't have too much need to travel over suburban lots to get somewhere.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

you don't have the right to shoot a helicopter or plane down for flying over your yard, I don't see why you'd think it's ok to shoot a drone down....assuming the operator is using it lawfully. Different story if it's 15 feet off the ground flying all around my property taking video/looking in windows and shit. Just buzzing by overhead from A to B? no problem.

Remind me when I get rich to buy a whole bunch of drones and hire someone to fly them erratically over the vast expanse of property I will own so I can shoot at them for fun. Even better, have explosives on board so they blow up when hit. Tannerite probably doesn't work with shot though does it?

you don't have the right to shoot a helicopter or plane down for flying over your yard, I don't see why you'd think it's ok to shoot a drone down....assuming the operator is using it lawfully. Different story if it's 15 feet off the ground flying all around my property taking video/looking in windows and shit. Just buzzing by overhead from A to B? no problem.

You own up to 83' above your property, from 83-500 is undefined, and 500+ is public. Expect these cases to be more frequent and land in SCOTUS in another decade.

I have more rights to the immediate airspace over my property than your drone does. There is no right of way established for your drone and you must fully expect people to be upset if you are buzzing their property. How soon until there are signs posted banning drone flights? Drone trespassing charges as an extension of the owner?

The sky is not the ocean: There is no public right to the immediate space above property.

Remind me when I get rich to buy a whole bunch of drones and hire someone to fly them erratically over the vast expanse of property I will own so I can shoot at them for fun. Even better, have explosives on board so they blow up when hit. Tannerite probably doesn't work with shot though does it?

That does sound fun, and I would do that too if rich. Most rich people do lame boring stuff with their wealth. "Look at me!! I'm buying million dollar hideous paintings. I'm eating expensive fish eggs. I'm hanging out on a boring green field with other boring lame rich people hitting balls with a stick and treating servants badly!" Wealth is wasted on the unimaginative.

How high do you consider your back yard? If a drone needs to travel between two points, it will often need to pass over some private property on its way. The FAA limits it to 400 feet, so it has to be able to transit below that altitude.

That said, I keep mine over my private property or out in public somewhere with no crowd below. I don't have too much need to travel over suburban lots to get somewhere.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

In my situation where I have a half an acre as long as it is not continually buzzing my property and stays about 15 feet above tree top they would be good. Seriously though...I cannot discharge a firearm in my town so i would end up having to call the popo if it became annoying. Other than that anti drone nets I guess. But if I had some acreage....and that drone was significantly beyond my property boundary I guess the height that I would think be ok would be as far as my shotgun could reach. If it's out of range then I guess I would have to let it pass....lol

I think it's all different depending on where you live.

Just don't annoy your neighbors with these toys. For me if you want to fly it over or through my yard knock yourself out. Just don't hover there annoying me with that whiney little buzzing..

Neighborhood kids want to have drone wars in my yard then have at it. If you break any of my windows have your parents swing by with a check...lol

In my situation where I have a half an acre as long as it is not continually buzzing my property and stays about 15 feet above tree top they would be good. Seriously though...I cannot discharge a firearm in my town so i would end up having to call the popo if it became annoying. Other than that anti drone nets I guess. But if I had some acreage....and that drone was significantly beyond my property boundary I guess the height that I would think be ok would be as far as my shotgun could reach. If it's out of range then I guess I would have to let it pass....lol

I think it's all different depending on where you live.

Just don't annoy your neighbors with these toys. For me if you want to fly it over or through my yard knock yourself out. Just don't hover there annoying me with that whiney little buzzing..

Neighborhood kids want to have drone wars in my yard then have at it. If you break any of my windows have your parents swing by with a check...lol

That seems reasonable. If someone needs to pass over private property, get it up reasonably high and keep on going over the property... no lingering. And certainly no dropping down below the trees.

My limited experience with mine taught me that if the drone is at 400', it is unlikely to be noticed either by its sound or by sight. I can barely hear anything, and it takes some effort to successfully locate the dot in the sky. Lower it down to 200 feet, and then it is well within range of being noticed, although you still have to be outside and looking up. My neighbors just a few hundred feet from my yard never notice it. I flew it along the beach this spring at that height, and people could tell it was there. By the way, for those who think a drone is spying on them, there isn't a whole lot that can be seen from a non-zoomable lens at 200 feet. I did some experiments a while back that I posted in some thread, and I found that my wife was 8 pixels high at 200 feet. You can easily see houses and cars, same stuff I can see on Google maps or by driving by a house.

That does sound fun, and I would do that too if rich. Most rich people do lame boring stuff with their wealth. "Look at me!! I'm buying million dollar hideous paintings. I'm eating expensive fish eggs. I'm hanging out on a boring green field with other boring lame rich people hitting balls with a stick and treating servants badly!" Wealth is wasted on the unimaginative.

You got that right. It's the Swamp Yankees and Rednecks that do the crazy stuff that gets on YouTube and entertains the world. We should have the money, not the boring snobs!

Last edited by a moderator:
That seems reasonable. If someone needs to pass over private property, get it up reasonably high and keep on going over the property... no lingering. And certainly no dropping down below the trees.

My limited experience with mine taught me that if the drone is at 400', it is unlikely to be noticed either by its sound or by sight. I can barely hear anything, and it takes some effort to successfully locate the dot in the sky. Lower it down to 200 feet, and then it is well within range of being noticed, although you still have to be outside and looking up. My neighbors just a few hundred feet from my yard never notice it. I flew it along the beach this spring at that height, and people could tell it was there. By the way, for those who think a drone is spying on them, there isn't a whole lot that can be seen from a non-zoomable lens at 200 feet. I did some experiments a while back that I posted in some thread, and I found that my wife was 8 pixels high at 200 feet. You can easily see houses and cars, same stuff I can see on Google maps or by driving by a house.

To put that in contrast, the plane flying surveillance over Baltimore has a resolution of one pixel per person at 50,000'.

We aren't far away from print quality though. Handheld zoom lenses of 60 & 80x are here so it's only a matter of time before those make it into consumer drones.

You own up to 83' above your property, from 83-500 is undefined, and 500+ is public. Expect these cases to be more frequent and land in SCOTUS in another decade.

I have more rights to the immediate airspace over my property than your drone does. There is no right of way established for your drone and you must fully expect people to be upset if you are buzzing their property. How soon until there are signs posted banning drone flights? Drone trespassing charges as an extension of the owner?

The sky is not the ocean: There is no public right to the immediate space above property.

I agree...if someone is 50 or a hundred feet up or more just buzzing past then it wouldn't bother me. Lingering would piss me off. Being in MA I couldn't shoot it down but in a free state I would.

I know this would never happen to me and is just wild fantasy, but if a drone ever was behaving oddly and low over my back yard, I wouldn't be so quick to shoot it down. Who owns it? Why is it there? Why do they not seem to realize they could be doing something socially unacceptable? They can obviously see me looking at it so I'm not sure what kind of useful spying info they're getting. Are they just some kids amusing themselves? If I shoot it, I may never learn all that.

So... I'd want to find its owner. With early drones, this was easy... look for the person nearby holding a controller. But with newer drones, the operator can be well out of visual range, perhaps thousands of feet away. If he just flies away, I would likely be unable to see where it lands. So... assuming I have stuff charged up still, I'd get out my own drone and launch it. When the enemy panics and tries to fly away, I'll follow until I see where he lands. And, since he started earlier than I did, he'll run out of battery first and I'll see where he lands. Hey, this could be kind of fun... I've never chased another drone before so I'm not entirely sure how well it'll work, trying to follow what could be a small dot in the display.

To put that in contrast, the plane flying surveillance over Baltimore has a resolution of one pixel per person at 50,000'.

We aren't far away from print quality though. Handheld zoom lenses of 60 & 80x are here so it's only a matter of time before those make it into consumer drones.

They would still be expensive as hell, at least initially. Most of the drones buzzing around tend to be cheap Chinese toys with crappy hobby grade cameras that really don't offer great detailed pics. Those dropping $4-5k+ on a high def photography drone tend to be a bit more responsible than those buying $200 (or cheaper) toy drones and not caring to follow any sort of rules.

Even with a go pro hero 4 on my drone, I've taken a lot of scenic photos, and even if people are in the frame, you can make out much detail really.

I really only flyover my own property (or other with permission), or public places where allowed. I take it pretty seriously and understand the bad rap they get. Most often I don't even have a camera on the thing and people still freak out. It's amazing because we all walk around with cameras in our pocket. Nobody ever worries that the person sitting across from you in a waiting room buried in their phone is really taking video of your kids or hot wife or you. I'd be more worried about that than a drone 200 feet up in the air taking grainy pics of you from a distance

I do agree it would be pretty damn fun to do some drone skeet shooting though. I'd volunteer to pilot but someone else is buying the drone

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They would still be expensive as hell, at least initially. Most of the drones buzzing around tend to be cheap Chinese toys with crappy hobby grade cameras that really don't offer great detailed pics. Those dropping $4-5k+ on a high def photography drone tend to be a bit more responsible than those buying $200 (or cheaper) toy drones and not caring to follow any sort of rules.

Even with a go pro hero 4 on my drone, I've taken a lot of scenic photos, and even if people are in the frame, you can make out much detail really.

I really only flyover my own property (or other with permission), or public places where allowed. I take it pretty seriously and understand the bad rap they get. Most often I don't even have a camera on the thing and people still freak out. It's amazing because we all walk around with cameras in our pocket. Nobody ever worries that the person sitting across from you in a waiting room buried in their phone is really taking video of your kids or hot wife or you. I'd be more worried about that than a drone 200 feet up in the air taking grainy pics of you from a distance

I do agree it would be pretty damn fun to do some drone skeet shooting though. I'd volunteer to pilot but someone else is buying the drone

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I disagree with your characterization: Those dropping $5k on a drone are looking to use the camera. Whether it is paparazzi stuff or simple bedroom window stuff it doesn't much matter to me. If you are within range of #7 shot then you shouldn't be there.

If it gets to that, I'm rigging some Home Depot garden bird netting under my drone and going up to tangle the other guy. That stuff weighs almost nothing. No firearms laws broken. Probably wouldn't hurt the other drone so less risk of being charged with something else.

If the drone evades and escapes, that's OK. It probably won't come back after nearly being lost over my yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom