Driving from MA to PA with Guns

I am licensed in my home and destination states, will have everything properly locked and stored in the trunk, but will be traveling with some pre-ban mags and a pre-ban AR. Anything I should worry about? I should be covered by FOPA, but I'll be passing through RI, CT, and NY...

Drive safely, obey the speed limit, keep all gun stuff out of sight, and obey the storage requirements of FOPA.

Actually, it looks like if I go i84 I can skip RI and possibly NJ (can't tell if i84 cuts through the top of the state or not.) I will be going through NY for a bit, but no where near the city.

From what I can tell on the map 84 does skip NJ (barely) and takes you through CT, NY to PA.

RI isn't a problem, their gun laws are actually pretty friendly when it comes to transporting through their State and plantations.

I have done this route countless times to visit family in Western PA. 84 does not go through NJ. Just keep everything locked up and out of site and you will be fine.

Being licensed is not a pre-requisite for legal firearm ownership or possession in PA.

No, it's not, nor is it in any free state... however, you need at least one valid license to get FOPA protection, if I'm not mistaken.

-Mike

I know, but I feel like it would only help if I was pulled over in NY state.

What helps the most in that case is not saying a damned thing about the guns you have in your vehicle. [laugh] Well, that, and not getting pulled over to begin with.

-Mike

What helps the most in that case is not saying a damned thing about the guns you have in your vehicle. [laugh] Well, that, and not getting pulled over to begin with.

-Mike

True, but IF someone starting looking in my trunk it would help back-up my story for the inevitable court appearance I would be forced to make.

Illegal to search a locked trunk without probable cause anyway.

[rofl]

It doesn't take much for them to invent it.

Nobody gets thrown in jail for conducting an illegal search, either. It just means it's inadmissible in court, assuming they believe you and not the LEO's made up excuse.

Not to mention, any search is legal if you consent to it. Most people crap their pants in front of a LEO and consent.

-Mike

Last edited:
I make this trip several times a year. Stay on 84 and do not get off at Port Jervis for gas as you will quickly find yourself in Jersey. I also keep my spare and jack easily accessable in the trunk so I could change a flat without pulling everything out.

Illegal to search a locked trunk without probable cause anyway.
1) That won't stop them.
2) A creative officer will make up something.
3) If the probable cause story doesn't hold up, the best that happens is that you don't get convicted. You still got arrested, possibly charged, and spent thousands of dollars on your defense and some time in jail.

While that sort of thing is unlikely, it has happened, which is why it is best to avoid getting stopped in the first place.

Whatever you do, don't consent to a search.

So if I am going camping in PA, I can bring and possess a firearm with just having a Mass LTC?

What you most have to worry about is being in an accident and having your car towed.Just about every Police Dept. does an inventory search of the vehicle before it's towed.This is legal everywhere if the Police Dept. has a standard practice of doing this.

stay out of NYC and NJ, FOPA means nothing to them IF you get found out.

Excuse my ignorance but have there been cases of someone transporting firearms legally through NJ and getting charged and/or prosecuted? I am licensed in both MA and PA (NH non res) and I travel to my sisters house in PA a few times a year with a firearm properly stored and I never considered that I could be in danger.

I travel the Merritt PKWY into NYC then down the NJ Turnpike to 76.

You only need a Carry permit in PA to carry concealed. There are no other firearms permits.

You need a permit in PA to carry period, concealed or otherwise, outside the home. Or so I am told, still trying to find cites.

No, it's not, nor is it in any free state... however, you need at least one valid license to get FOPA protection, if I'm not mistaken.

-Mike

GSG just told me that you need to be valid to possess and carry in both your departing and arriving states, which is accomplished in most states by a license.

Last edited:
GSG just told me that you need to be valid to possess and carry in both your departing and arriving states, which is accomplished in most states by a license.

Hmm, well, it turns out we might be all wrong, all USC 926A says is that possession must be lawful in both source and destination states. Doesn't take much to fulfill that.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

I guess there's the "and carry". It is unclear to me if "carry" just means transport (which is what I think it means) or carry as in "concealed carry". Fun. To me that doesn't make sense, because there are states where virtually nobody is allowed to CCW, so that pre condition is un obtainable by most.

-Mike

You need a permit in PA to carry period, concealed or otherwise, outside the home. Or so I am told, still trying to find cites.

That is not true. That is only in certain cities. Eg Philadelphia, Pittsburgh. ect There is not a "Licesne to carry" there only a Concealed Carry. people open carry there a lot. Cities can put their own ordanances in but state law as a resident you do not have to have a CCW permit to carry unless it is in fact concealed. As a non resident, if your state is a reciprocation state you conceal carry.

Last edited:
Drive safely, obey the speed limit, keep all gun stuff out of sight, and obey the storage requirements of FOPA.

This is really all you need to worry about. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over driving through NY/NJ etc. I drive South/West almost monthly and honestly depending on your departure time (6am works well) I-95 can be fairly easy through NYC over the GWB to I-80 to I-287 to I-78. If you listen to the traffic (WCBS 880AM) you can alternatively take I-684 over the Tappen Zee Bridge and down I-287 without going through the Bronx. The only toll is into PA on I-78 and it's $1 I think (not often driving a car) and the Tappen Zee toll is only for trailers+.

Coming back I almost always drive I-81 to I-84 to I-90 but I also stop in Port Jervis, NJ for fuel because it's cheapest there. There is a small toll over the Newburgh Beacon bridge, then the Mass Pike. The tolls on the reverse of what I described above will approach $15+ IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom