• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Double Rifle Cases at auction

I don't see lock hasps on them... only the little "luggage locks" in the clasps.

... I also see some rust... these look like they may have been exposed to some outdoors storage...

So garbage in other words?

Not necessarily.... it depends on pricing and on your intended usage...

If you expect it to be an aluminum locking case capable of protecting and securing your rifles through a lifetime of airplane rides, you may be disappointed in the results.

On the other hand, when you look at the bid listed of $150 for 33 units, that is approximately $4.50 each (plus shipping). IF they are aluminium cases, and IF 25 of them are serviceable, and IF you won the bid for a lot of them at a price of $250, that's still only $10 each, plus shipping. If your intended use is a decent case to protect your rifles when you throw them into the trunk on the way to the range (or to a NES shoot [grin] ), then you've gotten a pretty good deal!

Not necessarily.... it depends on pricing and on your intended usage...

If you expect it to be an aluminum locking case capable of protecting and securing your rifles through a lifetime of airplane rides, you may be disappointed in the results.

On the other hand, when you look at the bid listed of $150 for 33 units, that is approximately $4.50 each (plus shipping). IF they are aluminium cases, and IF 25 of them are serviceable, and IF you won the bid for a lot of them at a price of $250, that's still only $10 each, plus shipping. If your intended use is a decent case to protect your rifles when you throw them into the trunk on the way to the range (or to a NES shoot [grin] ), then you've gotten a pretty good deal!

So how exactly do these government auction things work? Is it just like ebay or something? I'm just confused over the multiple lots part.

FWIW the lot is ~30+ cases and 300 pounds, so the cases are ~10# each. If you can't inspect you must infer :)

There appear to be 5 or 6 lots each with 33 - 35 cases. You'd bid on a 'lot' of cases.

To bid you create an account and place a bid. When you place the bid you're asked for a cc#. You can "auto bid" like eBay or keep an eye on it and bid up yourself if you want. Some equipment requires an EUC which amounts to a statement of what you paln to use it for and limits how you can dispose of it. That doesn't apply to this auction. If you're bidding on more than one lot figuring that you'll only win one anyway... just pay attention that's all! If you have ever bid on eBay you have the general idea. If you win you either go and get it or pay a shipper to ship it. GL has a couple that service that location. I have *no* idea what the shipping would be for a 300# pallet from NC to MA. The good news is the lots appear to be palletized already.

I won an auction a couple weeks ago for a trailer. When the EUC clears I get to go pick it up. (Not in NC though!)

FWIW the lot is ~30+ cases and 300 pounds, so the cases are ~10# each. If you can't inspect you must infer :)

There appear to be 5 or 6 lots each with 33 - 35 cases. You'd bid on a 'lot' of cases.

To bid you create an account and place a bid. When you place the bid you're asked for a cc#. You can "auto bid" like eBay or keep an eye on it and bid up yourself if you want. Some equipment requires an EUC which amounts to a statement of what you paln to use it for and limits how you can dispose of it. That doesn't apply to this auction. If you're bidding on more than one lot figuring that you'll only win one anyway... just pay attention that's all! If you have ever bid on eBay you have the general idea. If you win you either go and get it or pay a shipper to ship it. GL has a couple that service that location. I have *no* idea what the shipping would be for a 300# pallet from NC to MA. The good news is the lots appear to be palletized already.

I won an auction a couple weeks ago for a trailer. When the EUC clears I get to go pick it up. (Not in NC though!)

Thanks for the info. Aparently if the shipping is less than $285 then it's cheaper than driving my truck down there to get them [laugh]

If anyone on here is planning on or thinking about placing a bid please let me know [grin]

Last edited:
And sold to the man in the orange windbreaker...

Auction Type: Internet Auction
Open Time: 03/19/2010 12:00AM Eastern Time
Close Time: 03/23/2010 05:00PM
Award Time: 03/24/2010 12:00AM Eastern Time
Time Left: Closed
Current Bid: $350.00 (per lot)

And sold to the man in the orange windbreaker...

Auction Type: Internet Auction
Open Time: 03/19/2010 12:00AM Eastern Time
Close Time: 03/23/2010 05:00PM
Award Time: 03/24/2010 12:00AM Eastern Time
Time Left: Closed
Current Bid: $350.00 (per lot)

So depending on shipping that still could be less than $15 a case.

I've spent some time with the site. These come along now and then. There's another several lots that started today and a few more next week or so. If I ever get my stuff together an M35A2 is in my future. (2 1/2 ton truck affectionately known as the deuce)

I've spent some time with the site. These come along now and then. There's another several lots that started today and a few more next week or so. If I ever get my stuff together an M35A2 is in my future. (2 1/2 ton truck affectionately known as the deuce)

Nice, I work on and drive 5-tons and 7-tons for the MA Guard.

I think that you guys are missing one part if this auction...

Well he said that these pop-up from time-to-time, so knowing the closing bid is a good reference. I trying to see what it would cost to ship, but I never got around to calling one of the companies.

Back
Top Bottom