Double antlered Mule deer in CO

dhuze

NES Member
An island surrounded by land on three sides
There is a nice Mule deer that is suposed to be running around in Colorado Springs Co. The area sure looks like it. Hunting season starts next week and I will be there. It's too bad my hunting area doesn't include The downtown Springs area. If it did I might have to try harder to find this one. It looks like it has a tumor of some sort on the side of it's head. I wonder if thats the cause of the antlers.

DoubleAntleredMulie.jpg

DoubleAntleredMulie4.jpg

DoubleAntleredMulie3.jpg

DoubleAntleredMulie5.jpg

Abnormal growths are usually caused when in the summer while the antlers are still growing and technically living tissue they are damaged. Sometimes the deer actually die from this by bleeding out but if it clots quickly then you get drop tines and other strange growths. That "tumor" might actually not be a tumor it might be a large blood clot kinda like when a person or animals ear gets smashed and it ballons up. This doesn't really apply to non-typical racks just drops and stuff after I learned that in D&DH if you look at drop tines youi can actually kinda tell where the antler broke while it was growing. And none of this makes that deer any less beautiful.

Last edited:
I have had a few people tell me that there are some other pictures and that it's not a tumor, but a drop tine. I am hunting out there Saturday. I even know where it has been hanging out. It is only a few miles out of my hunting area. I actually hunt farther away even though it's on the edge of where I drew.
I would like to see it hanging on my wall.

Back
Top Bottom