double action only experiences.

hey guys ive heard allot about DAK's and know there are some who absolutely love them and some who absolutely hate them. and untill i can get my hands on one i cant really test for myself so i figured id ask here. i was looking at the sig 229 DAK which has double strike capability (whatever that is) and is a double action only. what are some of your experiences with double action handguns. also since its a DAK does that mean every pull will be double or just the first.

Its really a matter of preference I think. IIRC the DAK trigger on the sig is 6.5lbs and the DA/SA trigger is 10/4.5lbs. Some people like the consistency of having the same trigger pull every time. Other people like the option of having a DA first pull and then the lighter SA trigger pull there after.

Its a matter of what you like. To me it doesn't make much of a difference. My sig is DA/SA but since it is a newer version with the rail it can be converted to a DAK model if I so choose.

Double strike allows you to hit the same round again by pulling the trigger again.Many autos require you to rack the slide which ejects that round.

The Dak is unique in how it works. When you rack the slide it patrialliy cocks the hammer. pulling the trigger completes cocking the hammer and then lets the hammer fall. The gun goes off and the process starts again. If you run the trigger the full length of its travel the trigger pull is about 6.5 LBS for each shot. if after the gun fires you let the trigger travel forwards until the first click, and then you pull the trigger, the trigger weight is about 8.5lbs and the distance the trigger travels is about half the length. If you have a misfire and the gun goes click instead of bang you can pull the trigger again. In this case the trigger pull will be about 8.5 LBS beacuse the hammer was not partially cocked by the action of the slide. The Dak is a double action only for every shot if you run the trigger the full length of its travel for each shot. If you shoot the first shot double action then for the second run the trigger to the first click its a shorter, but heavier double action shot. Double strike capability means that if you have a misfire you can pull the trigger again and the hammer will restrike the cartridge in question. On, most striker fired guns Glocks M&P if the gun has a misfire you have to re rack the slide in order to recock the striker.

Double strike allows you to hit the same round again by pulling the trigger again.Many autos require you to rack the slide which ejects that round.
"Double strike" capability is a selling point only for fools.

If a primer fails to ignite on the first strike it is highly improbable that it will with additional hammering.

And pulling the trigger again fails 100% of the time to fix a slide that failed to go into battery, a cartridge without gunpowder, a double feed, a primer seated backwards, or an improperly seated magazine, all of which cause a click when one desires a bang.

However the tap, roll, rack virtually always fixes the problem unless the problem is a double feed which has its own remedial action.

"Double strike" capability is a selling point only for fools.

If a primer fails to ignite on the first strike it is highly improbable that it will with additional hammering.

And pulling the trigger again fails 100% of the time to fix a slide that failed to go into battery, a cartridge without gunpowder, a double feed, a primer seated backwards, or an improperly seated magazine, all of which cause a click when one desires a bang.

However the tap, roll, rack virtually always fixes the problem unless the problem is a double feed which has its own remedial action.
Yup. To me, double strike capability is not a feature, it is a bug. If you have a FTF, you need to do a tap, roll, rack, bang right away. One a gun that doesn't have a double strike capability (e.g., Glock, 1911, etc.), the fact that the trigger won't pull again is another sensory input that tells you that you have a problem that you need to solve ASAP.

I agree with jose and M1911 that the proper response to a failure to fire is a tap rack assess. In my experince having trained a good number of cops and civilians the first thing they do instictively is pull the trigger again, then go to a tap rack assess so Double strike does have some value, but having or naving it would not be a deal breaker for me.

I agree with jose and M1911 that the proper response to a failure to fire is a tap rack assess. In my experince having trained a good number of cops and civilians the first thing they do instictively is pull the trigger again, then go to a tap rack assess so Double strike does have some value, but having or naving it would not be a deal breaker for me.
It's not a deal breaker for me. That is, I won't immediately discount carrying a gun that has it. But to me it is a disadvantage, rather than an advantage. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom