Dog kills duck and duck owner shoots dog dead. Where do you stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 500 ft rule does not apply in this case. So get over it.
Well, since the question continues to be "Why wouldn't it apply?", it's a fair bet that your response has little value without an explanation. So, OK, tell us why you feel that is the case.

yes sir, and we shoot in the back yard too less than 500 feet from the neighbors house because it is a target range, and it is perfectly legal
Really? A "farming community" where the farms are under 6 acres in size? Where?

Well, since the question continues to be "Why wouldn't it apply?", it's a fair bet that your response has little value without an explanation. So, OK, tell us why you feel that is the case.

If look it up and post it, will you STFU and go away?

You must not get out much, In a "right to farm community" not every residence is a 100 acre dairy farm, I belong to a gun club and the range is less than 500 feet from a house, you are just wrong about the 500 foot rule, it is a pretty simple statue to read and understand.

Hey Toastie!! here it is!!!

Section 12E. Whoever discharges a firearm as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, a rifle or shotgun within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than three months, or both. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property; (b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties; (c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof; (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established; (e) persons using shooting galleries, licensed and defined under the provisions of section fifty-six A of chapter one hundred and forty; and (f) the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical, athletic, ceremonial, firing squad, or other purposes in accordance with section thirty-nine of chapter one hundred and forty-eight.

So that plus to the other statute to was posted are your answers, So now just STFU!!!

Why would that be ?
Because it seems to me from what I read a lot of people feel the dog and its owners were wrong and the dispatching of the dog was justified. I get it......but from where I stand my dog right or wrong is family to me. My dog is more loyal to me than most if not all people. If someone killed my dog like that well lets just say that person wouldn't be having a nice day.

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car and walk away. Come back and hour later, open the trunk and see which one is happy to see you.

don't forget this part Toastie,

d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established; (e) persons using shooting galleries,

Because it seems to me from what I read a lot of people feel the dog and its owners were wrong and the dispatching of the dog was justified. I get it......but from where I stand my dog right or wrong is family to me. My dog is more loyal to me than most if not all people. If someone killed my dog like that well lets just say that person wouldn't be having a nice day.

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car and walk away. Come back and hour later, open the trunk and see which one is happy to see you.
Oh, you would be so much fun to have as a pissed off neighbor. How would you like to be buying a new car because the skunk smell won't go away when you turn the heat on? That would be just for starters. I have many more.

I've loved every dog I ever had.
Enough to keep them out of trouble.
Some people shouldn't own dogs.
Some people shouldn't have kids either .
They are the ones you see on TV after their spawn murder a store clerk and start shooting at responding cop saying " My baby din do nuffin ,them cops had no right to shoot back."

Not to be contentious and perhaps I'm not seeing the context, but if you loved your dog that much why would you not protect them and keep them from harm?

I love my dog as much as the next guy, but I don't set her up for failure by letting her do stupid shit.

I get it, I'm not questioning your love for your pooch, but love doesn't trump reality or common sense.

So, does anyone have any useful comments on the question?
If you're asking legal questions,
something's already inside your OODA Loop.

the reason he was arrested was for his license status and the rest fell out from that. If he had his LTC or this was in NH he doesn't get charged. Still a good shot.
Never discount the awesome power of...
4g0m2m.jpg

(1) Dow is facing one count of maliciously killing or injuring a domestic animal;
(2) two counts of cruelty to an animal;
(3) one count of misleading a police investigation;
(4) one count of carrying a firearm without a license;
(5) one count of possession of ammunition without an FID card;
(6) one count of discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building; and
(7) one count of improper storage of a firearm.

My guesses:

(1) not guilty (assuming shooting in valid defense of ducks)
(2) not guilty (assuming shooting in valid defense of ducks), guilty (strangling injured dog not justified)
(3) guilty
(4) guilty
(5) guilty
(6) not guilty (assuming shooting in valid defense of ducks)
(7) guilty

It's been stated by Jacob Dow (sp?) in his interview with police, he fired bird shot at the dog, which it did not kill, so he strangled the dog, then buried it without telling anyone for month.

He's facing charges involving animal cruelty, firearms, and obstruction of justice

This story was just on the news. If the report was correct, he shot the dog but didn't kill it. He strangled it.

Not to be contentious and perhaps I'm not seeing the context, but if you loved your dog that much why would you not protect them and keep them from harm?
I do. But sometimes things happen that are out of your control. I took every precaution when riding a motorcycle. It didn’t stop some idiot from running a stop sign and damn near killing me. Life happens whether you want it to or not. We’re just along for the ride.

This kind of thinking is EXACTLY why you shoot shovel and shut up! Much like the inner city momma's that defend their scumbag youts for killing people. Let your dumbass dog run and kill other peoples animals..... your dog SHOULD take a dirt nap "family" or not. "He was a good dog, a very good dog".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom