Does this mean the .22 LR shortage is finally over?

Where are you guys shopping that you can't find 22lr? Is this an outside 128 issue? I haven't looked in months, but the Eley target and Fed Automatch seems to be everywhere. I've stopped buying mini-mags because I have enough and $0.08/rd is getting up there for me in price and general usage. Been using mostly Automatch for $0.06/rd.
Same here. Federal auto match runs flawlessly through my 10-22 at 6 cents a round. Been finding a steady supply of that pretty much all summer.

Same here. Federal auto match runs flawlessly through my 10-22 at 6 cents a round. Been finding a steady supply of that pretty much all summer.

Me too. Western MA here. .22 well stocked everywhere, except Walmart, but I seems they're stock is maybe restricted. Will be keeping an eye on trends in the coming months.

Sorry but this is a really dumb comment. Of course things are more expensive now than they were ALMOST A DECADE AGO! WTF??? I would like to buy a new car for what they cost back then but that ain't happening either. Neither is pretty much anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

same here. I think the only place I don't see it much is Walmart. Otherwise all of the gun stores I visit here and in NH all have 22 readily available. Four seasons always has shelves full of it you run right into when you walk in the door.

If you bothered to follow the metals prices they have either remained close in pricing over the past 8-10 years copper maybe a bit lower lead maybe slightly higher, powder seemed to be priced a bit higher ~20/lb vs ~30/lb today no reason for a cost increase that doubled the price. haven't found any cci mini mage for less than $10 / 100. And the last I saw the low noise rounds they were 5-8 bucks / 50 and CB longs were north of 10 bucks /100.

HOLY... where is this?! [shocked]

And no, not as long as people are stocking up (hoarding) ammo instead of buying as they need it.
CCI is building a new plant to meet expected demands, and that's not finished until 2018.

IMHO most of the demand isn't hoarding it's from skinflint new shooters and the surge of new rifles chambered in .22lr.

-Mike

IMHO most of the demand isn't hoarding it's from skinflint new shooters and the surge of new rifles chambered in .22lr.

-Mike

I agree, we have seen an almost 30% increase in club members in three years and more than half are new shooters. 22 rifles and semi-auto pistols are most common.

I just did a quick search of all the ammunition companies that I deal with. And what I found was Prices from 55 to 85 dollars for a 500 round brick. Pre-Newtown that same brick was 18 bucks? I don't see that manufacturing costs have gone up by a factor of three or four so somebody is making a killing on this ammunition. Highway robbery!

Can somebody post who is selling 22 Long rifle for six cents around? I'm not looking for online sellers I'm looking for a brick-and-mortar stores that I can go in and buy a 500 round brick for 30 bucks. I haven't seen this anywhere for years so I'm very curious where I can find this bargain

I just did a quick search of all the ammunition companies that I deal with. And what I found was Prices from 55 to 85 dollars for a 500 round brick. Pre-Newtown that same brick was 18 bucks? I don't see that manufacturing costs have gone up by a factor of three or four so somebody is making a killing on this ammunition. Highway robbery!

Manufacturing costs do go up when you have to raise prices because of running lines 24/7. I bet some of the mid level disties are going full cosby though...

[video=youtube_share;VQKe3nEL3XE]http://youtu.be/VQKe3nEL3XE[/video]
(special thanks to ColdDayInhell for finding this)

Can somebody post who is selling 22 Long rifle for six cents around? I'm not looking for online sellers I'm looking for a brick-and-mortar stores that I can go in and buy a 500 round brick for 30 bucks. I haven't seen this anywhere for years so I'm very curious where I can find this bargain

If you can get your timing right with your local walmart, you should be able to pick up 500 bricks of Thunderbolts for 25-30. Ask about delivery times and be there promptly. They don't seem to get much .22 in.

Cabellas bass pro and kittery shooters outpost rileys usually have federal auto match for $20 for 325 rounds. Also federal 50 round boxes for 2.99. When i see it i stock up. Have not spent more than 7 cents a round through the whole "shortAge". Except for some winchester super x i get for squirrel hunting and i spent $9 for a box of 100.

i was just at next level in Salem yesterday and fed auto match boxes were 6 cents a round so i grabbed one. He had lots of different stuff too.

-Mike
this ..... also many of the "new" shooters I have met recently shooting 22s dont even flinch about the price. I had a 25 year ask me " is .12 cents per round really a lot for 22LR.
I said "well depends I know there is some 22lr out there 20$ plus for 50 rounds" his response was " oh good so 8-12 cents per round is normal."

Dont forget that CCI is building a new facility so im sure on average thier prices are a bit higher than "normal"

I feel this is what happened with midway USA their shipping was always high but has seem to come down a good amount now that the Nitro shipping center is now complete.

That's the rub. All you can buy but pay the price, or buy a little for less.

Also, **** Heritage with a rusty nail.

Eh, I can't concur with your opinion of Heritage. I find D&L to have crap service and it's a pain to get to. I have a connection with Heritage and they've always been fine to deal with for me.

Yeah Apponaug 4 Corners sucks, and if it's busy it's tough getting attention from anyone at D&L (not that I think Heritage is much better).

The flip side is I've never had D&L lie to me to rip $50 bucks out of my wallet. $50 that I would have happily paid by the way, but I resent being lied to.

Have you tried Cabelas? I grabbed a 525 rd brick of Federal a few weeks ago for $29 plus tax. I will say it was the last brick....but they had tons of CCI mini mags at $9 per 100.

Also found a bunch of Rem golden bullets at the Walmart in Sanford, ME last month. I think it was $4.99 per 100?

I think it's safe to say the danger has passed (for the next four years anyway), production output has caught up with demand, .22LR can be found in quantity without much difficulty anymore, and the prices have come back down to a reasonable range.
Anyone still asking $50+ for a brick at a gun show is high, and anyone actually paying it is an idiot.
I just did an inventory and discovered I had more on hand than I thought, I found a few bricks I had squirreled away and forgot about.
One is a brick of Federal Champion Standard Velocity with price tag of $12.00 on it.
Ah, the good old days.........

Yep, the ammo that seems to work best in my 10/22 is available, in case quantities, and not at rape prices. Its a good day.

I actually got 3 100 round packs of Winchester super x 22lr at Walmart! It's been over a year since I've found any 22lr at walmart.

I haven't seen 22lr at my local Walmart Mart since post Sandy Hook buying frenzy.
Pretty much the same story here. I luck out and buy my 3 box limit about once in every dozen to two dozen trips to Walmart. [thinking]

I'll know the .22 LR crisis is over the day I can walk into Walmart and both find and buy all the Mini-Mags I want. [grin]

theratpack1

Pretty much the same story here. I luck out and buy my 3 box limit about once in every dozen to two dozen trips to Walmart. [thinking]

I'll know the .22 LR crisis is over the day I can walk into Walmart and both find and buy all the Mini-Mags I want. [grin]

Anything and everything center fire has been plentifully in stock, at pre Sandy Hook pricing.

They probably make better profit margins with center fire. I wouldn't doubt it's a reason they purposely keep 22lr inventory low

This..
When I can get Mini-Mags at any shop and the price is back down to $6.99 - $7.99 I will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom