• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does this mean the .22 LR shortage is finally over?

acc88c3aa3fbf9aa7ccab7476f70b0bb.jpg

HOLY... where is this?! [shocked]

And no, not as long as people are stocking up (hoarding) ammo instead of buying as they need it.
CCI is building a new plant to meet expected demands, and that's not finished until 2018.

how did you get the picture of my basement?[grin]

seriously, that would be gone in a couple of days on the market. there is still serious neck bearding out there...

Pfff. 1 pallet of 5000 round cases.....
When I get my back order of 15k rounds from the cmp things are on the up side.

22lr will be in high demand for some time
I know more people who have bought 22lr guns in the past 5 years than any other gun.
Add in all the people who where only buying 1 brick every now and then who ended up with nothing to buy.....well that won't happen again. They will stock up.

Honestly since I was a kid my dad always had at least 3k more 22 than we normally would shoot in a year. Just so we always had ammo. If you really like shooting and you find a ammo your gun likes it's smart to buy as much as possible.

For ammo I do not load I will by 2x as much as I plan to shoot next time out.
Before I go shoot it. And repeat this process.

Last edited:
The shortage is much better than it used to be, but is in no way over. Wait until October or November when everyone goes full retard again. You won't be able to find anything on the shelves for a while. When Hillary gets elected and Brady II gets drawn up, things will get really crazy.

Cabela's has had .22 on the shelf every time I've been there for the past 18 months or so- plenty of bulk packs too. Better stock up before the election.

The shortage is much better than it used to be, but is in no way over. Wait until October or November when everyone goes full retard again. You won't be able to find anything on the shelves for a while. When Hillary gets elected and Brady II gets drawn up, things will get really crazy.

Yeah but I have still at various times in the last 6 months hear people going "Where do you get .22 its always out when I got to my regular shop." and I just sarcastically joke "Oh well I usually walk in my closet and grab a box off the stockpile in there."

If I go based on how much I shoot 22 (very rarely) I probably have a 10+ year supply. I will keep buying it though, because either I will end up getting a .22 that I shoot more (I have a revolver and the wife doesn't enjoy shooting it) or I will trade it off when I can't get ammo I actually need in a panic (got to feed the Trap habit).

Of Mini-Mags, which have been a bit tough to find. Plenty of other .22 there as well. This was in D&L in RI.

i dont know the percentage of people who shoot mini mags..... the demand I would guess is not as high as the standard CCI offerings or you would see it more often up until now.
even still a pallet of mini mags is not a lot of ammo in the grand scheme now if one shop has a pallet thats a good amount for one shop...

I have had very little luck with any HV 22lr for accuracy... The HV 36grain hollow points do well on varmint inside of 50 yards though...

Last edited:
Still with 22lr prices at or above 10 cents per round compared to where they were 8 years ago in bulk at about 4 cents per round, there's a lot of profit being made.

Meh, still Hollow points. Don't like the HPs, round nose please, then I'd be drooling.

Yes, seen quite a bit of 22 out there, still have not seen any CCI in a long time.

Meh, still Hollow points. Don't like the HPs, round nose please, then I'd be drooling.

Yes, seen quite a bit of 22 out there, still have not seen any CCI in a long time.

I grabbed a box of 500 CCI mini mags about a month ago from a shop, they had more of em. Most shops I visit have at least a little 22lr. Shooters Outpost was practically out last time I was there, but previous trips they had a good amount.

I buy bulk .22 at 5 cents per round.
What is "bulk" to you, a case of 5000 or a pallet? Is it from LGS or mail order and what brand?
Mostly Remington and Federal bulk packs (500 rounds). All mail order with free shipping. My best score recently was Federal 525 packs at $20 shipped (3.8 cents per round).

Yeah but I have still at various times in the last 6 months hear people going "Where do you get .22 its always out when I got to my regular shop." and I just sarcastically joke "Oh well I usually walk in my closet and grab a box off the stockpile in there."

If I go based on how much I shoot 22 (very rarely) I probably have a 10+ year supply. I will keep buying it though, because either I will end up getting a .22 that I shoot more (I have a revolver and the wife doesn't enjoy shooting it) or I will trade it off when I can't get ammo I actually need in a panic (got to feed the Trap habit).

Honestly, I haven't been inside a regular gun shop in the three months since my son was born. I don't doubt that the smaller LGS's still have some supply problems. It seems to be coming back a bit at the box stores.

Mostly Remington and Federal bulk packs (500 rounds). All mail order with free shipping. My best score recently was Federal 525 packs at $20 shipped (3.8 cents per round).

Wow! That is a really good price. I moved out of MA about 15 months ago but have yet to buy ammo online. I have bought some CCI MiniMags at my LGS for 9 cents/rd and some Federal American Eagle for about 8 cents/rd. I suppose I should look for deals online now that I can actually get ammo shipped to me! [grin]

Still with 22lr prices at or above 10 cents per round compared to where they were 8 years ago in bulk at about 4 cents per round, there's a lot of profit being made.
I dont know where you guys shop but i have not spent more than 7 cents a round for 22. Just gotta buy it when you happen accross it at those prices and walk away when you see it at 9-10 cents. Problem is new shooters think 10cents is dirt cheap....cuz its "waaay cheaper than my 9mil duuuuude"! Ive heard it too many times at the range. The rest of us that have been shooting for years are getting ****ed hard.

- - - Updated - - -

I buy bulk .22 at 5 cents per round.
5-7 cents is available people just gotta shop....and buy alot when they see it at that price

Last edited:

Sorry but this is a really dumb comment. Of course things are more expensive now than they were ALMOST A DECADE AGO! WTF??? I would like to buy a new car for what they cost back then but that ain't happening either. Neither is pretty much anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Iv been able to find tons of 22 everywhere I go except CCI. That's unicorn ammo

same here. I think the only place I don't see it much is Walmart. Otherwise all of the gun stores I visit here and in NH all have 22 readily available. Four seasons always has shelves full of it you run right into when you walk in the door.

Oh no....those terrible profits being made! How dare they take part in a capatilist market!!!!

if people stopped jumping in 10 cent a round boxes the price will go down.

Sorry but this is a really dumb comment. Of course things are more expensive now than they were ALMOST A DECADE AGO! WTF??? I would like to buy a new car for what they cost back then but that ain't happening either. Neither is pretty much anything else.

Not dumb at all. The price of .22 is 150% more expensive vs a decade ago ($0.04 to $0.10 per round).
The CPI has risen about 21% in the same time period.
A $20,000 new car in 2006 does not cost $70,000 today so your analogy of ammo price vs new car price is inaccurate.

Iv been able to find tons of 22 everywhere I go except CCI. That's unicorn ammo

^this. apparently my brain is stuck in 2013-2014 because i still feel like i'm hallucinating whenever i see a shelf stocked with 22lr.

- - - Updated - - -

Get it before the election... while you can.

^this. and save your brass. Hillary is coming for it all.

Where are you guys shopping that you can't find 22lr? Is this an outside 128 issue? I haven't looked in months, but the Eley target and Fed Automatch seems to be everywhere. I've stopped buying mini-mags because I have enough and $0.08/rd is getting up there for me in price and general usage. Been using mostly Automatch for $0.06/rd.

Back
Top Bottom