Does Ruger offer a 10/22 with a bull barrel with iron sights?

Considering asking santa for a 10/22.

I'm a rifle novice and it seems like the Ruger 10/22 would be a good platform on which to learn proper technique and I would like to use iron, red dot, and normal optical sights on one rifle. A current thread also reminded me of an additional problem - I'm right-handed and left-eyed, so I also need to learn how to shoot rifle with that issue.

But I digress. Technique issues aside (I can read up on those elsewhere), I'm confused as to which model to get. In particular I find the Ruger catalog and website confusing as to what their offerings actually feature.

Does Ruger offer a 10/22 model with a bull barrel with iron sights? There are aftermarket bull barrels, both with and without iron sights, but I can't figure out if Ruger offers one to begin with.

The 10/22T (Target) model comes with a fluted bull barrel, a target trigger, and a wood laminate stock. But no iron sites and I don't think they can be added to this model.

So I think you're looking at getting an aftermarket setup if you're looking for adding irons.

Maybe one of the appleseed guys will have more info to add.

I was afraid of that. So if an aftermarket barrel is on the table, and I'm drooling over Squished's wood laminate thumbhole stock (or more likely the Boyds Evolution SS) do I even bother buying a new one? I mean at this point should I just get a used one somewhere that has a receiver in good condition and enjoy it, whatever its configuration, until I get the barrel and stock I want?

I bet you could find a bull barrel in like new used condition somewhere. So many people buy so many of these and change them around so much, something must be out there already for a decent deal.

I have a 1022T. The barrel of the 1022T isn't fluted. It has a spiral pattern on the outside. I don't know if it's funtional or just cosmetic. It doesn't come with sights. I'm right handed and right eye dominant but shoot long guns from my left shoulder. I just close my right eye.

I was afraid of that. So if an aftermarket barrel is on the table, and I'm drooling over Squished's wood laminate thumbhole stock (or more likely the Boyds Evolution SS) do I even bother buying a new one? I mean at this point should I just get a used one somewhere that has a receiver in good condition and enjoy it, whatever its configuration, until I get the barrel and stock I want?

Either buy a 10/22T which has the laminated stock & bull bbl then add tech sites

or

Get a used anymodel and build exactly what you want

The advantage of getting an anymodel is the fun of the build and level of customization you can achieve.

In the end you will spend about the same

After much searching through half a dozen different aftermarket barrel manufacturers, I find that my original assumption is flawed: there aren't any bull barrel - carbon, steel, or aluminum; fluted or not - aftermarket barrels that have iron sights.

And the rear sight for the tech sites consumes a scope rail mount. They should see about making one that mounts on a scope rail.

Guess I need two 10/22 rifles.

After much searching through half a dozen different aftermarket barrel manufacturers, I find that my original assumption is flawed: there aren't any bull barrel - carbon, steel, or aluminum; fluted or not - aftermarket barrels that have iron sights.
Usually because anyone who wants a bull barrel is planning on making a tack driver... and most folks who want that kind of precision do not think that they can get it with iron sights of any sort.

And the rear sight for the tech sites consumes a scope rail mount. They should see about making one that mounts on a scope rail.
Why? There'd be no market for it. What would be the purpose? Sights that mount on a Weaver rail are a dime a dozen - look in Shotgun News and you'll see page after page of ads for them. They're called BUIS... [laugh] If you're talking about mounting them on a .22 scope rail (like the one that comes with a 10/22), again - why? If folks put a scope on, they don't need iron sights; if they have iron sights, they don't need a scope.

Guess I need two 10/22 rifles.
With how inexpensive they are, I don't see this as a problem. I have three myself, and have given two more away to my nephew and his wife. They're like Lays potato chips - can't just have one.

Just looked at your original post again; if you REALLY want one rifle that you can swap out sights on (AND have to verify your sights each time...), I think your best bet is to get an NDS-22 receiver and build your rifle the way you want it. They have a receiver with a Weaver rail with the rear sight built on it, or you can get a rail only version. Heck, you can even get their front sight, too - it's sized for a bull barrel already!

The curse of the 10/22. They are so cheap and after-market stuff is so plentiful that there is never a "stock" gun left. I think that my trigger guard is the only thing left from the $150 NIB 10/22 I bought.

There are some reasons for putting iron sights on a bull barrel 10/22. Some people, like myself, like the weight of a bull barrel. Others like the looks. Others find an after market stock that’s only set for a .920 barrel.

But that’s all cosmetic; there’s little (no) functionality gained from putting a bull barrel or a rifle with iron sights. Any accuracy gained with a bull barrel will be lost using iron sight. As was mentioned before, bull barrels are only functional on scope mounted tack drivers. So you may be better off with just a regular 10/22 carbine.

But if you decide you want a bull barrel anyway, the Tech Sights adapter mentioned by Dwarven1 is the only way to go. I mounted tech sights on my 10/22-T, and it was fairly easy to install and has functioned well. Your best bet is to use a pair of those tiny levels (the kind that are usually hung on string) to line up the adapter on the rifle, then use locktite to essentially glue it on. After than, installation of TechSights is a snap, and they’re awesome sights.

Tony,

I ordered the Tech Sights also, but the front sight dovetail adapter seems way too loose for my Ruger 10/22T:

11709302879399.jpg

Do you have the same rifle? How did you get that adapter on securely without machining in a few set screws?

...bull barrels are only functional on scope mounted tack drivers. So you may be better off with just a regular 10/22 carbine....

Iron, no, but Green Mountain does have 'em with fire sights (3dot fiberoptic; dovetailed on) http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=10-22.920sporterdiameterbarrels

Either of the above sound pretty good. Why the bull barrel, anyhow? I'd say just get the plain 10/22 with iron sights, and for all the searching you've done, you could get a bull barrel one with the scope. What I would really like to see is the Tech-Sights with a fiber optic front, for low light (dawn and dusk) hunting situations.

Back
Top Bottom