Does anyone trim pistol and revolver cases?

1903Collector

NES Member
I have for years, but it's getting old. Lately I haven't been doing it as long as their within specs. I know it's better if they are all the same for a uniform crimp, but in my experience it has not made that much of a difference that I can see for most calibers as most don't seen to stretch that much anyway. How about you guys??

Most straight walled cases (pistol or revolver) will exhibit very little stretch, and most will fail for other reasons before exceeding the max. case length spec.

Two reasons: (a) the dominant mechanism of case stretch is obturation prior to peak pressure, coupled with generous headspace, and this tends not to happen with straight walled cases, and (b) full length sizing of straight wall cases does not increase headspace.

My practice has always been to guage, trim and chamfer new brass, including straight wall cases, but I've never had to re-trim straight wall cases after that.

I load for autos and I have never trimmed brass and no one I have talked to has. My cases actually get shorter and with the taper crimp I use it doesn't really matter that they are different lengths.

Last edited:
The ONLY time I have every had to trim a stright wall case is if it has been bent and I'm trying to save the case.

I did it only for one caliber (.460 S&W Magnum) and only one time to ensure that the crimp would be consistent. I bought a bunch of new brass from two sources. The cases were in spec, but slightly different lengths. I trimmed them once and have been all set since.

no one

I've not heard nor do i trim straight wall cases. As for accuracy,
if your looking for that buy a lot of match shell cases and take care of them...Get in touch with a bullseye shooter to learn what needs
to be done. But for general range accuracy, i don't think so.

JimB

I've not heard nor do i trim straight wall cases. As for accuracy,
if your looking for that buy a lot of match shell cases and take care of them...Get in touch with a bullseye shooter to learn what needs
to be done. But for general range accuracy, i don't think so.

JimB

I get acceptable accuracy now doing what I do. I was just curious as to what others do...

Not even one, and never a problem.

I have for years, but it's getting old. Lately I haven't been doing it as long as their within specs. I know it's better if they are all the same for a uniform crimp, but in my experience it has not made that much of a difference that I can see for most calibers as most don't seen to stretch that much anyway. How about you guys??

Back
Top Bottom