Do I Wanna Start?

They flatten the bottom of the primer pocket and make them all the same depth. This insures consistent ignition, and therefore reduces flyers. I don't know just how much that'll help High Power scores, but I can tell you that it sure makes a difference in Bench Rest groups.

Nickle said:
They flatten the bottom of the primer pocket and make them all the same depth. This insures consistent ignition, and therefore reduces flyers. I don't know just how much that'll help High Power scores, but I can tell you that it sure makes a difference in Bench Rest groups.

I would imagine it would make a difference @ 600 meters.

Nickle said:

The reamer does that to a point around the outside circumference where the primer actually sits. If I swaged, I would definately use a uniformer. I just think it's redundant after a complete reaming.

You're absolutely correct about ignition and it's a concern for match ammo in high power, as well. That's why I was saying I ream every case, clean the flash hole, and then use a pocket 'cleaner'. That scrapes the entire floor of the pocket.

Nickle said:
I clean with a uniformer. What are using for pocket cleaner? It may be a uniformer.

Again, it's Hornandy, too. It's a Primer Pocket Cleaner, Small, 1 each.

It has a serrated surface to scrub the floor. I picked up Hornady's case prep package that contained a lube pad, lube, two pocket cleaners (large and small) a few neck brushes and a handle. Then I purchased the reamer seperate but it uses the same handle.

Yeah, that ones a cleaner (I checked), their reamer looks intersting. I'm gonna have to try one of those. Looks way better than the Lyman.

It may even help uniform the bottom as well as the side.

Nickle said:
Yeah, that ones a cleaner (I checked), their reamer looks intersting. I'm gonna have to try one of those. Looks way better than the Lyman.

It may even help uniform the bottom as well as the side.

The reamer's main purpose is to remove the crimp and cut a concentric bevel, also to cut the walls concentric to seat the primers consistently. The uniformer would probably no doubt just add to a consistent ignition.

Jon - BTW, I was going to suggest to you that you start 'playing' with your calipers. The thing about precision measuring is that it's all done by feel. When you're measuring down to .001" (which isn't much, really) you can vary the reading considerably by the amount of pressure you use.

My father was a tool and die maker for 39 years and as a surface grinder often held tolerances to .00001". That's a millionth of an inch. They would never measure with anyone else's mic's or gauges because they all had a different 'feel'. It's just another reminder of consistency.

He taught me to measure an object (usually a standard) and write it down. Then, close my eyes and measure it until I could come up with the same number each and every time. More difficult than it seems.

Tony, first thing I did when I opened the package from Midway was to grab the calipers and some empty brass. I played with it for a while and found out exactly what you mean by geting the feel for it. I'll practice the drill your dad suggested to you. Thanks.
Jon
BTW: Nice info you and Nickle provided about the primers too.

TonyD said:
JonJ said:
TonyD said:
Jon - How goes the reloading?
Ummmmm my bench is still a mess!

That's usually the norm. I don't even have a dedicated area, I have to set mine up and tear it down every time.
That's a bummer....I hope to get on it soon. After I finish all the "honey do's". I'm dying to see how it all works.

Nickle said:
Hey Jon, I haven't forgotten to ship you the brass, just been busy. Hopefully it'll get there before you're area is ready.
No prob Nickle. As you can see, I'm in no big rush right now anyways. Anytime you have time is cool with me. I have some .308 componants to get me started and test the process anyways.
Tony: Camp Perry? Mmmmmmmm Some day I hope to be good enough to go!

Back
Top Bottom