disposal of remains?

This will be my first year hunting.

I plan on taking whatever I hunt home for use, because I have a problem with just leaving it behind, but my question is how & where do I dispose of the remains.

Is tossing dead animal skin, guts & bones in the normal trash a bad idea?

Even more importantly, is it legal?

Or should I bag it up & bring it somewhere?

This will be my first year hunting.

Is tossing dead animal skin, guts & bones in the normal trash a bad idea?

Even more importantly, is it legal?

Or should I bag it up & bring it somewhere?

Guts should be left out where you harvested your deer. Critters will take care of it in short order. If you take it to a butcher all you pick up is wrapped meat. No muss, no fuss.

If this is your first hunt you might not want to butcher it yourself. If you really want to try do-it-yourself butchering, use the heaviest garbage bags you can find, double bag everything and leave the sealed bag in the covered barrel until the garbage truck comes.

Guts should be left out where you harvested your deer. Critters will take care of it in short order. If you take it to a butcher all you pick up is wrapped meat. No muss, no fuss.

If this is your first hunt you might not want to butcher it yourself. If you really want to try do-it-yourself butchering, use the heaviest garbage bags you can find, double bag everything and leave the sealed bag in the covered barrel until the garbage truck comes.

Know any butcher's you reccomend? what about turkey? I can butcher my own turkey, but not sure about feathers.

When I had good access to duck hunting, I would separate the breasts and an attached wing (to comply with Federal mirgratory bird ID regs) from the rest of the carcass. I would toss the carcasses into some weeds, bushes, or ditch. They would be gone before morning.

Deer-wise, I left the gut pile wherever I gutted the animal and took it whole (skin and everything) to the butcher. He would dispose of the non-edibles (he probably sold the hides to tanners) and I picked up my meat nicely packed.

Know any butcher's you reccomend? what about turkey? I can butcher my own turkey, but not sure about feathers.

Don't know any butchers up by you. Ask around locally. As for turkey, I started hunting them last year, & didn't get one.

Pluck out the big feathers & hang bird by the feet. Roll up a page of newsprint, light it & singe off the pinfeathers. That's what we do with chickens. [grin]

...No I don't hunt chickens. It kinda ticks off the neighbors. [thinking]

+1 on the double or even triple bagging. Just make sure to distribute the load, i.e. 2 bags of 10lbs and not 1 20lb bag of skin, blood and guts.

I think the garbage men would appreciate that just in case the bag breaks.

If I have the room, I usually try to freeze the discards and take it out the morning of the garbage pick up. This minimizes the smell and animal scavengers.

Pluck out the big feathers & hang bird by the feet.

Just in case you're not aware . . . the primary flight feathers from wild turkeys (so-called "mottled oak" feathers) are much in demand by fly tyers for muddler minnows and similar patterns. They're generally sold as matched pairs, i.e., a right and left feather from approximately the same position on each wing. Orvis is currently getting $6 per pair. I'm not sure how many pairs there would be on a full-grown turkey, but there's got to be more than a few bucks there. The tail feathers are also used, but they're not nearly as valuable.

Say...

Just in case you're not aware . . . the primary flight feathers from wild turkeys (so-called "mottled oak" feathers) are much in demand by fly tyers for muddler minnows and similar patterns. They're generally sold as matched pairs, i.e., a right and left feather from approximately the same position on each wing. Orvis is currently getting $6 per pair. I'm not sure how many pairs there would be on a full-grown turkey, but there's got to be more than a few bucks there. The tail feathers are also used, but they're not nearly as valuable.

That's nice to know ! [grin]
Now all I hafta do is be able to call 'en in close enough for a shot !

I generally do my own butchering. I take the carcass back to where I shot the deer (usually behind my house) -also where the gut bag ended up. I take my piece and the rest goes back to nature.

Back
Top Bottom